Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

more serious tank damage

Is Tank Damage in WoD going to be more treatening again?

It might be that my view is skewed, since i only progressed in 10man last and this tier, but there have been only very few situations where tank damage really got near to causing a wipe (mainly solo tanking Thok, getting bad luck on dodges after shock and during following "mini-enrage" from Blackfuse, or going into scorpion after accidently getting 3 stacks of korven's debuff and pulling aggro multiple paragons at the same time while in scorpion form).

Has tank damage been sufficiently demanding in 25 man? i feel that tank damage has been largely reduced in the worst (in MoP) case since tank mitigation largely depends on the new active mitigation techniques and Blizzard did not want bad tanks to continuesly die while good tanks survived through proper mitigation.

At least i do remember having to properly time my short tank def cds while tank swapping ultraxion or having to properly kite blood in spine lest i be one-shot.
    (also 10 man)

edit: to clarify, i am talking about received damage, not damage dealt by tanks.
    Last edited by mmoc4b8d679785; 2014-03-25 at 12:00 PM.

Deleted
    I think that blizzard claimed that tanks could do 75% of dps classes damage when solo questing etc ...
    going to be great ! ;P

10+ Year Old Account
    Back in the day, it was common practise to kick all dps who was below the tanks...

WoD might see that again, with Vengeance becomming purely defensive..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Back in the day, it was common practise to kick all dps who was below the tanks...

WoD might see that again, with Vengeance becomming purely defensive..
    I hope this is the case, but I doubt it will be.

OP seems to be talking about damage taken not damage done to the above...

@OP it's in your head. Ultraxion didn't really hit that hard and spine bloods were an exception since the common tactic was to ignore them, when it *was* possible to keep them under control it was just unnecessarily taxing on the rest of the raid compared to kiting.

Garrosh hits fairly damn hard, as well. We didn't really see that sort of tank damage at all in cata, wrath model was "designed" around it, and I guess TBC had some fairly hard hitting shit but that was a long time ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

I think that the way that vengeance is scaling with AM + really high gear levels is just making it appear to be low-dmg. Normal mode is a joke though, you can crush it in like any 510-515+ tank..Heroics, its not even about AM, you can use AM properly and still get messed up sometimes, its more about just higher stat/gear levels at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Garrosh is fine though. I've seen tanks with 13/14 normal with terrible AM use and never get garrosh just because you simply can't get by on Garrosh without your AM. The other 13 you can get by with just armor value and normal geared healers, regardless of class.

Tank damage is much more significant in 25s (and of course much more in heroic than in normal).

10+ Year Old Account
    As a blood dk I can say there are sometimes, though on fights were tanks switch back and forth, on normal I never lose my shield

Tank 25 man. There is a huge difference. If they increased the tank damage taken then it would turn into Wrath again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
    Tank 25 man. There is a huge difference. If they increased the tank damage taken then it would turn into Wrath again.
    Tank 25-man and soak all the smartheals and use the 70 externals at your disposal? Tank damage intake is numerically higher and slightly more demanding on 25-man but nowhere near 'threatening' apart from very few exceptions.

Deleted
    As a healer in 10 man hc it would have been pretty hard if I had to constantly worry about the tanks, too. The size of heals in proportion to HP is much lower than in wrath. Topping a group can take a few casts (WotLK was pretty much instant), healing a tank even more so. These dudes have around 1mil HP, while my greater healing wave as a shaman heals for maybe 150k - 200k noncrit and that is an expensive spell mana wise so that I can't keep up spam.
    In 25 you can have dedicated tank healers, but in 10 man it's just not feasible. If you remember wrath, pretty much every 10 man group had to have a pally if they wanted to get anywhere. A tank that was not constantly spammed with holy light died within 3 seconds. Nobody stacked avoidance because all tanks had to do was survive 2 boss hits, so that they can get critted to full again within a second.

Personally, I liked that model more from the tank's perspective. You still had to manage your cooldowns like you do today and keeping up with your rotation was also necessary for aggro. For the healers though is wasn't nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can do over 400k dps on gary as tank atm lol

I dunno what should be changed, but my tanks literally never die first on an encounter. I haven't had a wipe due to tank death in MoP.

I think after kil'ruk and full stacked kar'oz, I've had my time with hard hitting mobs. Wtb actual tank mechanics (<3 heroic will dance) and less of "this mob is a DW mob and might just randomly bash your face in out of nowhere". nothing fun about just getting randomly melee'ed down that hard.

There's good reason for this, but it's absolutely true. Tanks definitely have to work harder in 25 and even Norushen can result in some pretty fast tank deaths when you have 3-4 adds and the boss on the same tank at the same time. But 25 also has far more external CDs and more healers to split attention between tank and raid healing, as well as the ability to add a tank without decimating raid DPS.

Still, 25 man tanks will generally find 10 man to be ridiculously easy, even when it's a harder fight for the raid as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Vereesa View Post
    Tank 25-man and soak all the smartheals and use the 70 externals at your disposal? Tank damage intake is numerically higher and slightly more demanding on 25-man but nowhere near 'threatening' apart from very few exceptions.
    I went from 10 to 25 this expansion and the jump was enormous.

My point remains. It may not be as threatening as you would like now but if they did make it "threatening" then it would turn into wrath where the tank needs to be at full health almost all the time or die. That isn't fun.

Especially with the changes to healing where they are making reducing smart heals. Even if the keep tank damage exactly how it is now you will need a "tank healer" in WoD.

Heroic Klaxxi says hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrun View Post
    Heroic Klaxxi says hi.
    Not to mention they "fixed" Locust's damage. Anyone who killed them in November will know what I'm talking about.

Getting white hit for over a mil for 2 minutes was stupid.

Not to mention they "fixed" Locust's damage. Anyone who killed them in November will know what I'm talking about.

Getting white hit for over a mil for 2 minutes was stupid.
    I thought that was windreaver that had the white hit fix?

With the new healing model tank dmg will likely go down if anything as healers won't be able to burst heal like now.