10+ Year Old Account

The Perfect Pre-Built for Petunia

Okay, my name's not Petunia, but I'm finally considering looking into the market for a REAL computer in the near future and I know MMO-Champion has some of the best advice.

I understand that building my own will certainly be cheaper but I'm not experienced and I don't think I have any super techie friends that are into it. I'd rather avoid the unpleasantness of having to weed out what's working and what's not.

ABOUT ME:
    I play WoW and I'm looking into making videos. I dabble in video editing and take graphic design pretty seriously. I would like to be able to play current-gen games as well, though those don't have to be at ridiculously high settings (SUPERULTRAMAXHIGHAWESOME 100).

I'm looking to spend $750 AT MOST (monitor and peripherals not included). You're also welcome to try to convince me to consider building a rig, if you believe I'm actually capable of such a task.

Budget - $750
    Resolution - 1920x1080
    Games / Settings Desired - WoW on Ultra
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) - Video editing, graphic design
    Country - US
    Parts that can be reused
    Do you need an OS? - No
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? - No

-Kitti
    Last edited by Yuni; 2014-03-26 at 04:33 PM.
    A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.-George Bernard Shaw

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can fill out as much information from This Sticky as possible, we can definitely help. However I feel at that price point, I would -highly- recommend building it (There are tons of video guides), especially if you need a new monitor and/or OS. $750 with both of those is a tight budget.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    If you can fill out as much information from This Sticky as possible, we can definitely help. However I feel at that price point, I would -highly- recommend building it (There are tons of video guides), especially if you need a new monitor and/or OS. $750 with both of those is a tight budget.
    I appreciate the quick response, I'll update the main post:
    Budget - $750
    Resolution - 1920x1080
    Games / Settings Desired - WoW on Ultra
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) - Video editing, graphic design
    Country - US
    Parts that can be reused
    Do you need an OS? - No
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? - No
    A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.-George Bernard Shaw

Deleted
    WoW is so poorly designed to utilize power of fast computers ;/
    even with latest 3k USD Gforce titaz Z video card you will get 20 fps in ogrimmar...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bazyk View Post
    WoW is so poorly designed to utilize power of fast computers
    This is a common misconception. It has nothing to do with WoW being poorly designed. This is just an aspect of MMO's, and how technology and software function, currently.

That said... I understand this is well under your $750 budget, however moving up to a 4670K would add another $230 in cost, and go over. At this point, you can either...

1) Get an SSD ($~80 for 120gb)
    2) Get a bigger GPU (Not really useful for WoW)
    3) Simply not spend more money
    4) Expand budget slight to fit a 4670K, Z87 board, and aftermarket cooler. (In retrospect, after running the numbers, if you can afford $775, this might be the better option)

PCPartPicker part list
    CPU: Intel Core i3-4330 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($133.93 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($38.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($169.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $602.84
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

just take your 750 and get another 750 financed via xidax and let them build you a nice, solid rig that will help your credit score a bit. skimp now and you'll just pay more later anyway. for 1500 you can have them build you a rig that will do anything you want on medium or higher settings

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarecho View Post
    just take your 750 and get another 750 financed via xidax and let them build you a nice, solid rig that will help your credit score a bit.
    Do not do this. Their price for the above i3 build is $900. The i5 build is over $1100. Rip off. And even if you get financed, you still have to pay that much... overpriced and meh part selection. Pass.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just as an option: If you spend more than $250 at Newegg, you can finance interest free for 6 months, to spread out the pain. You can get one year no interest if you spend more than $500 (this being all at one time... aka all on one invoice).

You can do monthly payments or pay the lump sum the day before your time is up, still interest free.

This may help you to increase your budget, just buy everything from Newegg.com

http://promotions.newegg.com/Newegg/PA110708/

Note: there's a 'complete your purchase by <date>' in the link above, but this is their standard 'pay later' plan, it never changes
    Last edited by Vermicious; 2014-03-27 at 08:29 PM.

This isn't a bad option, but if you don't pay it off before the time limit ends, than you're screwed. They'll go back and charge you the full interest25.99%. I avoid things like this. You're better off just saving the cash and buying it normal.