Question Combining new CPU/HDD/MB with some old components.

I am on a rather tight budget, so i am trying to make a decent PC upgrade by replacing my oldest components and combining them with the "less old" ones.

New components (not yet purchased):

CPU: INTEL Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz (strongest i5, the next one is i7 that is ~50% more expensive)

MB: Gigabyte MB - SOCKET 1150 - GA-Z87-HD3 (this one costs about 100 euro, i could go to about 180 euro if something valuable can be gained).

HDD: WD 1TB SATA III, 64MB, 3.5", 7200rpm, Caviar Black - WD1002FAEX (fastest rpm and biggest cache that i could find, rather cheap as well)

Old components (not enough money for new GPU):
    Windows 7 64-bit
    GPU: NVidia GTX 460

RAM: 8GB DD3 1866MHz

Powersupply: Cooler Master 550W

Personally i think the only room for meaningful improvement (within price range) would be a higher quality motherboard upgrade, but i am not sure what i would gain by doing it?

The motherboard i mentioned above already has the Z87 chipset (intel's best in the latest generation, as far as i know), and the RAM speed is within it's capabilities - also as far as i know, the i5 can be safely overclocked on it.

So what do you think of this setup?
    Please feel free to offer any advice and/or suggestions as to how i can improve it

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but you should really get a heatsink for that cpu and not use the stock one, as you say you want to oc, otherwise you could get that for a bit less I suppose.

Deleted
    Your new components are nice, you should go for them. Ram is more than fine. But you didn't mention your budget and where you are located. So noone can help you more other than tell you that is a solid purchase. Either way the new 750Ti costs around 150euro. So if you dont plan to overclock any time soon and wanna stay with stick cooler for while and save a bit more i am sure you can almost fit that 750ti.

As i said, whats the budget and were. And see if ppl can fit it all in there for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    I am on a rather tight budget, so i am trying to make a decent PC upgrade by replacing my oldest components and combining them with the "less old" ones.

New components (not yet purchased):

CPU: INTEL Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz (strongest i5, the next one is i7 that is ~50% more expensive)

MB: Gigabyte MB - SOCKET 1150 - GA-Z87-HD3 (this one costs about 100 euro, i could go to about 180 euro if something valuable can be gained).

HDD: WD 1TB SATA III, 64MB, 3.5", 7200rpm, Caviar Black - WD1002FAEX (fastest rpm and biggest cache that i could find, rather cheap as well)

Old components (not enough money for new GPU):
    Windows 7 64-bit
    GPU: NVidia GTX 460

RAM: 8GB DD3 1866MHz

Powersupply: Cooler Master 550W

Personally i think the only room for meaningful improvement (within price range) would be a higher quality motherboard upgrade, but i am not sure what i would gain by doing it?

The motherboard i mentioned above already has the Z87 chipset (intel's best in the latest generation, as far as i know), and the RAM speed is within it's capabilities - also as far as i know, the i5 can be safely overclocked on it.

So what do you think of this setup?
    Please feel free to offer any advice and/or suggestions as to how i can improve it
    I don't know about mobo, for overclocking the 'best' mobo is Asus Z87-A, and if you have a tight budget, Asrock z87 Pro3 will do, should be around 50-60euro?
    and z87 is not 'the best' chip, it's just a chip for overclocking
    PM me weird stuff :3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eduro View Post
    Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but you should really get a heatsink for that cpu and not use the stock one, as you say you want to oc, otherwise you could get that for a bit less I suppose.
    Well, yes, but then again overclocking the CPU isn't yet required for games to run smoothly. He can buy a heatsink later (perhaps along with a GPU) and then overclock it.

The components in the OP are sensible, go for it, though keep in mind that the HDD is loud - if your old HDD still works, SSD might be a more sensible option.