Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Does anyone else miss pre-transmogrification days?

Before I start, let me just say that I am not saying that transmogrification should be removed. Let me just make that clear. I think transmogrification is a cool addition to the game that certainly made many people happy by being able to wear their favorite gear long after its gone obsolete. I know there's a lot of people out there who are really into it, and some get really creative and make some pretty cool sets.

That said, one of the things that it took away, at least for me, was the ability to look at another player and know exactly what they're wearing. If I saw someone wearing T6, I knew they were a pretty serious raider. Someone with a full PvP set and an elite weapon wasn't able to change their appearance, so you would see that weapon and know right away that they were going to be hard to beat. A lot of weapons were iconic in PvP, such as Stunherald; its appearance was unmistakeable, and in the hands of a mace-specced Warrior, it meant you were probably going to be stunlocked for awhile.

Why does this matter? I'm going to be honest: e-peen. When I first started playing, I would see players around Org with full tier or PvP sets and I would envy them so much, longing for the day that I would obtain the awesome gear they had. And if ever I was on top of the food chain and had a weapon or some armor that was BiS and not many others had, I would wear it with pride. Occasionally I'd even have someone whisper me, telling me that they really wanted the axe or the helm that I had. And, like I touched upon earlier, being able to see exactly what someone was wearing was a way for you to "size them up" and determine whether or not they were a good player, just by looking at them. Of course, there were always discrepancies. Just because someone had a full set of X armor or X weapon didn't necessarily mean they were good; they might have bought runs to get those items, or even bought the account. But nonetheless, it was a way of getting a general idea of how far along in the game someone was, and it was nice to show off your gear with pride.

Of course, you can still show off your gear with pride in the game today. If I had full T16 with a heroic warforged Xal'atoh and Tusks of Mannoroth, then there is no doubt in my mind that I would rock that and show it off in its un-transmogrified glory. From my observations, though, it seems like most players I encounter do transmogrify their gear.

Like I previously stated, I'm not saying transmogrification should be removed. In fact, I don't like the general art direction that MoP went in and I think a lot of my gear looks goofy, so its nice to be able to wear my old T5 set, which is probably one of my favorite sets ever. I just kind of miss the days of being able to look at someone and think, "oh crap, he has full Vengeful, better run".

Does anyone else ever feel this way from time to time or is it just me?

As someone who has made a couple million gold from selling transmog gear this past year in WoW, my answer is:

"No."

Deleted
    You can just inspect a player to see the gear they're using so I don't see too much of an issue, likewise early during the start of the expansion if you saw someone with Challenge Mode gear, Elite gear, T3 or any other unobtainables like Corrupted Ashbringer then you'd know they were either really good or had at least been around for awhile

I like looking pretty, long days are the gone where my Warrior wears fucking slippers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtwo View Post
    You can just inspect a player to see the gear they're using so I don't see too much of an issue, likewise early during the start of the expansion if you saw someone with Challenge Mode gear, Elite gear, T3 or any other unobtainables like Corrupted Ashbringer then you'd know they were either really good or had at least been around for awhile

I like looking pretty, long days are the gone where my Warrior wears fucking slippers.
    Hey, I wore slippers too! Nyn'jah's Tabi Boots back in TBC, to be exact. Back when a lot of BiS gear for Warriors was actually leather due to the high amounts of +AP, crit, and hit on them. I also had the Rogue t2 lookalike helm and shoulders from Karazhan. It was kind of, okay no, REALLY a bad look for a Warrior, but it was the best gear I had, so I had to live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Denkou View Post

In fact, I don't like the general art direction that MoP went
    This the only thing i can agree with you, MoP had (except SOME challenge mode sets ) the WORST sets ever since vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
    As someone who has made a couple million gold from selling transmog gear this past year in WoW, my answer is:
    "No."
    I don't think that answer you gave falls into the catagory the OP is looking for. Making money off something is not a reason for liking a feature or not. You are saying: you like it because others like it (they buy your stuff). So do you like it for the feature itself? That is the question.

@ OP: While I love being able to just wear the gear I was so proud of wearing when it was current, I too long for (but would not seriously want it returned) the old ways. I miss being able to see what level of progress someone has made. I could look at a player and know if that was a moron (bad items, not lower itemlevel) or a pro player. I could also more easily recognise people, which is strange because nowadays if you stick with 1 transmog you should be more easily recognisable.

Also since transmog I get more easily annoyed. I see SO MANY bad transmogs. People think the stuff matches when it clearly does not. I know it should not bother me but it does. How does it affect me? Well as said I get annoyed.

It also annoys the hell out of me that people who did not do the content, can just go back a few expansions later and get and wear the gear I worked so hard for to get. But I have come to accept it thankfully. And I do realise that I do that too, altho I did wear the stuff when it was current, I usually deleted/sharded/sold the gear when something newer came along.

But overal I wouldn't part with transmog for the world. Why? Because I like the old sets a whole lot more then whatever the fuck the artists at Blizzard are making now. Since Tier 10 I have not truly liked a set. Tho I somewhat liked the paladin tier 11 and 12 it was to me no where near the quality of lets say tier 6. That sounds rather silly because the number of polygons etc are a lot higher on the new gear.

Fuck NO!

Transmogrification was the best thing blizz ever did for WoW

I have spent hours of my life mogging my toons, running old dungeons and seeing other mogs and thinking wow that looks badass i want that.

I never want to go back to the old days of shitty mismatch gear with shitty looking armour and weps you have to have because they are BIS.

The days of people fawning over your gear are long gone and tbh nobody cares anymore.
    Last edited by yetgdhfgh; 2014-03-28 at 09:09 AM.

Ofc I miss Classic WoW before the Catafail/Panda & Pokemon days. Everybody minus rabid Blizzard fanbois do.

Xmog does offer some fun encounters though. Only yesterday some Belf monk tried to gank my Hunter who wore Tier 9 Xmog and got his face smashed b/c my Hunter was in full PvP gear.

Look at their health, pretty much tells you what gear they have

- - - Updated - - -

since MoP have some of the worst sets have ever seen, i'm glad i can transmogg too somthing that i think looks good

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    No. Transmogrification is one of the best features in the game.

I like that my lock is running around looking like a BC vender (full Shadow Council set). I was always one for tunic and pants (robes feel like something to be tripped over and not good for mobile combat), so when transmog came out, I jumped right into looking for a pant set. I do like robes, though, and my bank is SO FULL of transmog pieces. XD

When I joined in BC, I remember looking at people in their tier sets and envying then, because I was SO MUCH OF A NEWB that I never stepped foot in a heroic. Of course, for the longest time, I thought the wings that showed up on the one lock set came from the shoulders (which sounded so logical to me, and I hated the gaudiness of the helm). I was sadface when I found out otherwise. I honestly wish I still had my old pvp set from wrath, still. I did a lot of wintergrasp back then, and I worked so hard to get that set. But it's on Rae 1.0 on my first realm.

Deleted
    I like the idea of transmog in theory but not in practice.

My mage is always decked out in the same pvp gear and I looked into getting a new set.
    Loved vanilla field marshal gear. No transmog. Twilight cultist robe? No transmog.
    Red Mageweave doesn't look bad. Not on AH, don't want it is a profession (I already
    dropped it once). The firelands set looks fantastic-all you have to do is assemble
    a team and raid it for days....

I'll probably settle for cata timelord gear, but it seriously clashes with the chronomancer
    stuff.

I feel a basically fun idea has been ruined by the imposition of restrictive rules and enforced
    endless grinding.

No. Thanks god we have t-mog, because MoP sets are awful. Though, being able to predict a potency of a character by his looks was great too.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Yes, I too miss being able to see a character and roughly guess their gear by appearance, having not raided since Wrath, all the tier sets since ICC look more or less the same to me and generally (IMHO) poorer or just dumb/ugly.

Being able to not look like crap while still using max level gear is a major bonus though.

The only major downside to it is that those low level greens are stupid priced so if you are a new player ( yes I know they are probably pretty rare now) its pretty hard to buy an upgrade. That said the amount of gold you make from a simple green is pretty crazy so even that is not all bad.

Frankly any bad that could be listed is easy outweighed by they good imo.

Edit: Sir Happy's pic is why they went to every single thing trying to match as you leveled up which made things really bland imo. I honestly think they should make those crazy colored pieces again being we have transmog and its not an issue any longer.

10+ Year Old Account
    days of mismatched gear and clown suits? no i dont miss those times

Deleted
    Like someone allready said, xmog is the best to happen to wow !
    One feature that gave life to old content like never before, on top of giving us the chance to look badass or whatever we'd like.

So "no", i don't miss it, they rainbow orc above is a clear reason why !!

God no, do we so easily forget the lessons of TBC and then the wave of brown that followed in Wrath to overcompensate the other way?

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably one of the best features in the game. Guess it was cool back when you didn't need to inspect someone to know they had good gear, but people who wanna show off the latest tier or w/e can still do that now.