Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    no just look at the fail endgame and other stuff in other games

just boring and lame
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    No they are not. Roles make a ROLE playing game.

This is why GW2 fell so flat on it's face.
    GW2 is still going strong and is still pushing out major patches and just now, like this week, overhauled their trait (talent) system and is moving on to a new era in the story.

As someone who has talked to a dev directly plenty of times, they never aimed for "WoW" they aimed for GW1.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    GW2 is still going strong and is still pushing out major patches and just now, like this week, overhauled their trait (talent) system and is moving on to a new era in the story.

As someone who has talked to a dev directly plenty of times, they never aimed for "WoW" they aimed for GW1.
    What do you mean they didn't "aim for WoW"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone's been playing Wildstar.......?

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with not having a tank is that you need to avoid the Big Bad if it's powerful enough to one shot you or you need to be able to take multiple shots, or you need to be able to drop aggro reliably or you need to be able to self-heal enough that you can take a shot and not die right off. But if the Big Bad simply bounces from person to person and one shots them it's not going to be fun. If the AI is really good, the Big Bad will just go kill the healer regardless of aggro from others, then start killing the rest of the group.

The problem here is one of believability - it's one thing to say "OK, Tank has equipped lots of gear that lets him live and the healer can keep him alive because of that" but it's not really believable that a priest dressed in cloth won't get flattened by, say, Lei Shen or Garrosh. Or, hell, Jin'rokh.

15+ Year Old Account
    Play GW2 if you want to experience an MMO without roles. IMO, it's kind of a mess. Just a big free for all, at least from what I played.

Outdated isn't the right word I'd use.

What I'd say is: in the past would consider the trinity the only way to go. Now, its personal opinion.

People who want the trinity aren't wrong or right

People who want no defined roles aren't wrong or right either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    This. Used to MT in BC and as a prot warrior, pretty much every boss took 30-40% of your life per hit even if you blocked. If you didn't get heals for 5 seconds especially against Gruul, Mag, T5 and T6 bosses, you were finished. Freaking Teron Gorefiend would hit for like 50-60% of your life with decent gear.
    You realize some heroic bosses are like that now in 25m?

10+ Year Old Account
    uh this is a role playing game -_-
    play your role....

15+ Year Old Account
    Why would you remove tanking? It's always been like this, and considering WoW is by far the most successful MMO ever, I'd say people enjoy it.

I love tanking, and i hate the format of scenarios, it just doesn't work well in wow. For any higher difficulty you'd have to amp up mob damage, making it more like gw2 just without dodging and without infinite combat res, it'd be hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love it in PvE, although in PvP it kinda sucks. There're simply so many more mechanics you can use to challenge the group, other than just dps checks, fire and add priority.

They removed the "difficulty" of dungeons such as moving out of fire, CC, run in and out of areas, turning bosses to face certain ways because people can't get passed that simple "struggle" and you think that making the game where everyone tanks, heals, and does dps in a single situation is a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    uh this is a role playing game -_-
    play your role....
    Well played, a slow clap for a sick pun.

No. And that's why scenarios are so boring (only dps exists). Also without tanks and heals every pve encounter would have to be piss easy which is no fun.
    Last edited by PrairieChicken; 2014-03-29 at 03:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

10+ Year Old Account
    Tanking is my favorite thing to do.

But it's because I like charging in, leading the pull, and organizing everything. Controlling the direction. And, just, being the one at the front clashing with stuff while everyone else does their thing.

I don't mind a GW1-style system where aggro kind of ping-pongs around the melee cluster, as long as there's still a "Frontline soldiers" and "Not frontline soldiers" division, because I really enjoy that aspect of the Tank role. Not because other people are more fragile, but because I enjoy that spot being where my character is: front and center.

Any system that preserves that positional play and vague 'running interference' role would still be fun, even if it's not so rigidly THIS IS THE TANK, IF YOU ARE NOT THE TANK AND ANYTHING LOOKS AT YOU, YOU ARE DEAD.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    No. And that's why scenarios are so boring (only dps exists). Also without tanks and heals every pve encounter would have to be piss easy which is no fun.
    I don't think any of that is true. Scenarios are boring because they're so easy and sometimes tedious. No tanks doesn't mean stuff would be easy, it would just be differently designed.

They aren't outdated. They're absolutely diminished to a point they aren't fun anymore, though.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

They are not outdated. What is outdated is the concept of a 'pure' role class. Every class needs to have access to at least one other dungeon role. Those that do not are at severe disadvantage.

No. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's outdated. Homoginezation in the game is getting dull, and having specific roles, classes, specs, is a good thing. Hybrids can do a little of a couple of roles, but I'm tired of "Is this outdated?" arguments. No. It's not.
    Last edited by Last Starfighter; 2014-03-29 at 04:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ehh no tanks is to much of a clusterfuck for me. I didn't really enjoy scenarios but maybe next expansion they might improve.

To me the current class role model is outdated but the system itself is not. What I dislike at the moment is that Tanks and healers are given the most importance in a group while DPS are just cannon fodder. Sure tanks and healer cant deal good damage like dps's but the fact that they can outlast them is my main issue; Survivability. Tanks and healers have excellent survivability through heals and defensive CD's or the combination of both while DPS's only have some medicore defensive CD's apart form Warrior's and Rogue's who have decent survivability in the form of high parry/Die by the sword and high dodge/vanish respectively.

Such a defensive system is flawed and will only favour some classes/spec's while leaving the rest to rot. What I am trying to say is that the balance of survivability should be redistributed and overhauled toward Dps's to make the class and by extension make the class roles more balanced. the class role division is to great and therefore diversifies the class too much. the way I see survivability and damage are the main factor that define a class role. Melee Dps's such as non-tank warrior's, DK's and Paladin's should have a degree of tankiness while non-plate's such as Enhancement shamans and WW monks should have less but be more tougher then their Caster/healer counterparts. I think that the best way to make the class role more effective in regards to melee survivability and balancing tanks and healer survivability would to be for the overall survivability of the class roles/Spec's to be like this: Healer -> Caster -> Melee -> Tank . The Idea of still having melee's that could fill in for brief time as "sub tanks" would be the first step in giving melee DPS more survivability. Right now I Meless are all as fragile as cloth casters or rouges which is not right and should be allowed to stand as it is, Speaking of Rouge the current Raid set-up is more in favour of them, having to deal damage form behind and having the nearly the same level of durability as other melees while being able to vanish/stealth. the main goal of the class is to deal extreme amount of DPS in a short period of time but lack a lot of durability, check. the whole melee DPS role to more or less based on rouge but in a fundamentally lazy and flawed way.

But tanks should not be removed from the game. but if they get all of the defensive power while all the other roles get scraps then I believe there is something wrong with the role balance. Having tanks being the last line of defence while protecting 8-23 healer's and DPS's who barely have even a quarter of they toughness is not right to me. The roles now are all about doing the best Tanking, healing or DPS, the best specs are the ones that can do their job the best while the worst are the ones that can't do alot of healing/DPS or tank well, Spec's are being forced to carry out the main task of the chosen role and nothing else. The roles of spec should be able to have a bit of hybridization, for example Enhancement shamans should able to do a bit of healing, range dps and tanking, While arms warrior's should able to tank better then and enhacement shaman due to plate and better close-combat abilities but should not be as good as and prot warrior. Being able to do more and having more freedom to do more damage, healing or tanking based on their class and spec.

P.S Sorry for the messy typing. It was late when I posted this and I got tired.
    Last edited by Goradan; 2014-03-29 at 05:45 AM.