General question about overall usefulness of melee classes in pvp.

I was just wondering with which of the melee/hybrid classes have the better back up abilities when your partners are in trouble and have the ability to handle themselves when caught alone?

Warriors are straight up brick walls when alone, have the ability to entirely negate a spell (reflect) or two (mass) in addition to a melee ability (intervene) multiple times per minute. Demo banner and Rallying Cry are pretty awesome as well. If they talent into it they can also root anyone they've hamstrung.

WW Monks have massive self healing, Freedoms and most importantly, Zen Med versus spell casters.

Rogues have Smoke Bomb and the ability to CC multiple people multiple times every minute.

DK's have Death Grip.

Enhancement Shaman have Healing Tide Totem and, if talented, Earth Grab Totem root every 25s... I guess Grounding counts, if we're pretending a Mage won't just Ice Lance it away?

Ret Palas have a fair amount of utility but only predictable and avoidable pressure.

Ferals have Cyclone, Roots and a ton of off-target pressure via strongly buffed bleeds. They also have Typhoon which is annoying to no fucking end.

Overall, Warriors are hands-down the most well-suited melee while Rets are probably the worst as they really aren't able to put out the pressure even a DK can.

Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    If they talent into it they can also root anyone they've hamstrung.
    This hasn't existed since like, Cata or something. They gave it to monks.

So warriors are over the top eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Jalopy View Post
    This hasn't existed since like, Cata or something. They gave it to monks.
    What's staggering shout again?

and yes warriors are op.

Warriors are fine, deal with it.

Its been this way for a long time the only time a melee is good is when they are op. Unless you have a melee like warriors which are 5/5 in everything Mobility, survival, control/utility, burst dmg, sustained dmg and spread dmg. If you look at the other melee they will be good at some of those but never all of those.

If you want to go a melee go warrior almost everything else sucks overall. And top it off warriors are the near the easiest to class to play. Wod may change this but that's not for another 6-8 months...

Quote Originally Posted by Ragaflask View Post
    So warriors are over the top eh?
    Depends on the setting. Definitely not the level of ridiculous as they were during RDruid/Warrior in TBC, ArPen Prot in WotLK, Shadowmourne in WotLK, or the end of Cata...

Wait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warriors are by far the way to go

Since 5.4/s14 melee have become quite mobile and very good at keeping casters pinned. Some do exceptionally well such as monks, rogues and warriors but others arent terribly bad with ret bringing up the rear. So melee have a very strong presence now and can be quite useful for warlock like me as they can engage quick and last while I setup gates and tele (very hard with only casters/ranged sometimes).

If you're thinking long term on deciding which class to play, I'd wait until beta to at least get a clearer idea of what direction they are going as the mobility/gap generators are undergoing lots of changes and even though everything is subject (and does a lot) to change during beta, it'll be much easier to determine what melee will be like in general in WoD.

For right now, above is probably good advice.

10+ Year Old Account
    The survivability of my WW is awesome and I use diffuse magic against casters. Touch Karma on my focus is always fun because opponents help me burn them down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warriors have been op all expansion
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    The survivability of my WW is awesome and I use diffuse magic against casters. Touch Karma on my focus is always fun because opponents help me burn them down.
    After karma/diffuse you are dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    Warriors have been op all expansion
    5.2 and 5.3 would like the have a word with you.

Deleted
    UH DK in blood pres does pretty well on his own. Double death grip, conversion, lichborne healing, AMS, IBF. Several stuns (With Ghoul) etc.