thoughts on the PC I'm building.

so I've created a list of stuff I'm about to get, and this is pretty much the best rig I can build while hitting my budget limit. it's the first time I'm doing this so I'm open to any advice. here goes:

i5-4670K (+ extra cooler as a gift)
    ASRock Z87 EXTREME3
    GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 760 v2 Overclocked - 3 fans
    Corsair VS Series 650W PSU
    Western Digital Caviar Black, 500GB, SATA III 600, 64MB Buffer
    2x Kingmax DDR3 4096MB 1600Mhz
    Zalman Z3 case (3 vents included + 2 slots) or Corsair Graphite 230T (3 vents + 3 slots)
    BenQ DL2215 21.5 inch - 5ms

a SSD would be next on the list but I can only afford this for now. so, I've pretty much hit my budget, especially if I go for the Corsair case. how do you think this PC will fare? also, I'm not planning to overclock straight away, would the cooling do the job for now?
    Last edited by abrakadaver7; 2014-03-30 at 05:21 PM.
    VII.

Deleted
    Go for either the ASRock Z87 Pro4 or the MSI Z87-G43, both of which should be about equivalent in price on the motherboard. Also, you chould be able to pick up a Seagate Barracuda 1TB or Caviar Blue 1TB for a similar price to the Black 500GB.

Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    Go for either the ASRock Z87 Pro4 or the MSI Z87-G43, both of which should be about equivalent in price on the motherboard. Also, you chould be able to pick up a Seagate Barracuda 1TB or Caviar Blue 1TB for a similar price to the Black 500GB.
    The Pro4 is worse all around compared to the Extreme3. Less power phases, less overclocking features, less PCIe lanes / sockets and no SLI support. It's really a pretty mediocre board for the price they ask. Extreme3 costs about $5 more and does a lot more. Same goes for the MSI board, except that one has had some pretty bad failure rates.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    The Pro4 is worse all around compared to the Extreme3. Less power phases, less overclocking features, less PCIe lanes / sockets and no SLI support. It's really a pretty mediocre board for the price they ask. Extreme3 costs about $5 more and does a lot more. Same goes for the MSI board, except that one has had some pretty bad failure rates.
    The problem I have with the Extreme3 is that its capacitors are of a lower quality to the Pro4. Honestly, I'd recommend the ASUS Z87-K but that's generally a ways above the Extreme3 in costings, and seeing as Abra is on the edge already, budget-wise, it's really difficult to justify.

Deleted
    Is there a specific shop you are going to get all those that you can link and whats your budget?

replaced the BenQ with a 23" LG 23MP65HQ-P and also the Caviar Black with a 1TB Barracuda so now I'm maxed cash-wise. the shop is located in my country so I don't think you'd understand much. budget is around €950, but do note that electronics are overpriced here.

would this setup be remotely future proof?
    Last edited by abrakadaver7; 2014-03-30 at 09:35 PM.
    VII.

Deleted
    It should last a year or two outside of hardware failures. At that point, you'd be looking at upgrading the CPU/Motherboard/RAM/GPU. The PSU should be fine for four years or so, and you might want to upgrade the HDD at that point too.

really? I thought the 4670K is a beast with overclocking considered. and isn't the GTX 760 entry level for high end GPU? was considering SLI-ing it later.
    VII.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by abrakadaver7 View Post
    really? I thought the 4670K is a beast with overclocking considered. and isn't the GTX 760 entry level for high end GPU? was considering SLI-ing it later.
    Yes and yes.

so would 4670 non-k with GTX 770 be better than overclocked i4670k and GTX 760?
    VII.

The only time the 4670k and 760 would be better would be in WoW (or other MMOs) and RTS games. Vast majority of others, especially AAA titles are GPU dependent and would do better on the 770 and locked 4670.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    It should last a year or two outside of hardware failures. At that point, you'd be looking at upgrading the CPU/Motherboard/RAM/GPU. The PSU should be fine for four years or so, and you might want to upgrade the HDD at that point too.
    Well you can look at it this way. If you bough a $300 card 2 years ago, let's say GTX 570, it would be around the same performance as GTX 750ti today which costs around $150. Although 750ti is fairly capable of gaming at medium quality it's pretty huge performance drop in only two years considering it's an entry level card whereas 570 was considered high end. Then again it depends on what you think is acceptable performance and no matter what CPU's and GPU's are never "future proof". It's generally better to buy something less expensive and upgrade more often then buy the best thing you can have and expect it to last for years which it won't since the technology advances so fast.

Yes. I wish I saved $200 by buying the $150 card now and than just doing that again in 2 more years. Sure I wouldn't ever hit Ultra settings and I would be down to medium within a year, but it'd stay at medium for a good long while.

I see. thanks a lot for the answers!
    VII.

close to ordering it. decided to go for both 4670k and GTX 770 2GB. the 4GB version is almost 80 euro more expensive here, not to mention the GTX 780. pretty crappy since I guess I won't get stable 60 FPS in Crysis 3 or BF4 on Ultra, even on 1080p. but oh well.

another option would be SLI-ing the 770 later but I heard that the 4GB versions would be preferred even for 1080p, cause the 2GB will be a bottleneck.
    VII.