Thread: WoD PvP

Deleted

WoD PvP

So, with the removal of alot of cc's and hard burst damage, how we are supposed to kill someone ?

play triple dps in 3s ?

Intelligent use of the handful of CC's you have and better coordination of cooldowns with that CC. They want you to believe they're pushing for skill to prevail instead of lucky burst CD's.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    Intelligent use of the handful of CC's you have and better coordination of cooldowns with that CC. They want you to believe they're pushing for skill to prevail instead of lucky burst CD's.
    i dont think it will be like that. i mean they said that there will be no more actual oneshotting or something like that and imagine with the new cc's holding like 4 sec.

the damage dealers also have some defensive cds etc. i dont think you really can kill someone till the dampening debuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukzi View Post
    i dont think it will be like that. i mean they said that there will be no more actual oneshotting or something like that and imagine with the new cc's holding like 4 sec.

the damage dealers also have some defensive cds etc. i dont think you really can kill someone till the dampening debuff.

same way you killed things in bc.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    same way you killed things in bc.
    Mana drain the healer?

Less burst dps but also less burst healing. (Supposedly)

remember when they said "Mop pvp won't be as bursty, fights will last longer" before it was launched?

...lol, just don't take much from what they're saying now.

It will be harder for healers to heal anyway

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ataraxia123 View Post
    It will be harder for healers to heal anyway
    Thank God. The absolute worst thing about this expansion for me has been healers
    who are literally harder to kill than raid bosses. I feel like quitting if I see more than
    two healers in a bg on the opposite team.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukzi View Post

They are removing a lot of instant/smart heals too. So you won't see someone going from 20-100% (exaggerated numbers) with an instant.
    "Clearly every aspect of one's life, from financial stability to social popularity, to sexual prowess can be boiled down to 4 numbers: One's Arena rating" ~ Xandamere

I have played all of MOP without a single CC as a frost DK without any problems. CC is not needed to kill opponents.
    smart use of silence and grip to interupt ehals is the key to beat healer teams (for DK) for example.

15+ Year Old Account
    @Wrien

DKs are weird because Necrotic Strike is effectively a CC without a DR - if I write it as "prevents the enemy healer from healing for X seconds" it sounds like a CC, but it also describes Necrotic Strike - and it doesn't DR. With that said, I'd count Asphyxiate, Strangulate, Remorseless, Gnaw, and Mind Freeze as CC's - good use of Chains of Ice (around LoS) is also a potent CC potentially.

@Topic:

WoD's new pvp design is interesting because - as some people have suggested - it will have parallels to TBC. The best comps - based purely on what little we know - are likely to be melee + ranged + healer, and/or pressure comps. I think that this aspect is good, and I'll explain why using some comp stereotypes:

Melee + Melee + Healer: when these comps do well, arenas are unskillful - you pick a target you can have high uptime on and tunnel it until it dies, no teamwork/cc chains, no great coordination, just a mountain of damage and stuns and interrupt spam - it feels mindless to play and its frustrating to play against because it feels like 2v3, and teamwork on both sides feels absent

Ranged + Ranged + Healer: when these comps do well, CC spam makes everyone cry - comps like MLD, MLS, and LSD are excellent examples - since mages and locks are present in almost all of these successful comps - the CC spam they can combine is usually the central theme of these comps - and it can feel almost as mindless as melee+melee+healer comps - they don't need to coordinate their CC chains because they have so many DRs to play with: not fun, not skillful.

Melee + Ranged + Healer: these are usually the most interesting comps - and the comps with the most potential for balance (obviously sometimes KFC is broken, or RLS, or etc). What I mean by that is, that when these comps work - they combine a good enough amount of CC and coordination to run an effective CC chain - but not enough to permanently chain-CC the entire enemy team into the ground - they can sit the melee on an enemy healer to create pressure, or they can sit the melee on an enemy caster to play defensive - but they can't do both at once - and they can't both create pressure and shutdown pressure at the same time usually. They need to coordinate their burst to score kills (this can obviously become untrue anytime one spec can kill someone at any moment, but that is a major balance issue).

I think that with less CC and more cast-time heals, melee + ranged + healer will combine the interrupts needed to create or turn off pressure - with the CC needed to score kills - and the burst windows to make teamwork important. I suspect that the devs are aiming for this to be true.

Pressure comps: the other comps that were very successful in TBC that we haven't seen in a couple expansions now are pressure comps (I mean, we still see Shadowcleave and Unholyplay, but not very often at gladiator+). Shadowcleave, Unholyplay, Shadowplay, Fireplay, Spicy Chicken, and Ebolacleave are common examples of pressure comps. The idea here is that when CC isn't common enough to create great CC chains, or when healing isn't strong enough to indefinitely keep up with pressure - these comps begin to appear that can PvE enemy teams to death by creating more pressure than the enemy team can handle. Pressure comps can be fun to play - a tad mindless - but most importantly - they are often easily controllable: sitting on the DPS shuts down the pressure.

I suspect the dev team is less aware that a nerf to CC and a nerf to instant heals / infinite mana (instant heals are more usually a problem of spamming instant but inefficient heals because mana no longer matters) is a buff to pressure comps. It could be their intention to fill the lower brackets with these sorts of comps, but make them less effective at higher brackets where coordination will shut down the pressure.

Melee + Ranged + Healer for high rating, and Pressure comps for easy points could be a good model overall - and certainly sounds a Lot better than the current meta of spamming endless CC and spamming infinite instant heals until someone gets globalled (which is why I consider MoP PvP to be the worst PvP expansion ever).
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    So, with the removal of alot of cc's and hard burst damage, how we are supposed to kill someone ?
    Might actually return skill dependancy and fix swifty bs, or you know, force people to l2p

you are doing something wrong