Deleted

The best way a single player can contribute in different BG's

This is more of a question than a recipe for wins but I will share my view on different bg's to get the discussion started.

Btw, this is about randoms if that wasn't obvious.

Faction: Horde
    Class & Spec: Resto Druid

Warsong Gulch
    I will try to speed fc so that I don't need any help which leaves the rest of the team to nuke the EFC. There is also much to gain to create a bottleneck in mid but it is not something you can do by yourself other than trying to keep the usual mid monkeys alive.

Arathi Basin
    Biggest chance to create something alone is to use your stealth and Typhoon (knockback) enemies down from LM. Stun -> cap -> cyclone -> cap, does work sometimes but cyclone doesn't last long enough to make it a sure thing. However as a healer there isn't much room for anything else than to heal your team mates in this bg.

Eye of the Storm
    Knockback at mid/flag isn't all that effective anymore but a resto druid is also good to have around mid to heal and fc. So yeah, mid is usually where I feel most effective.

Alterac Valley
    I have excluded this bg but when I do play it on rare occasions I will try to get to north/south bunker asap.

Strand of the Ancients
    Cap the graveyards closest to the beach (can't recall the names) because these usually seems like an afterthought for most hordes.

Isle of Conquest
    Well, even as a healer I feel the need to nuke the glaives, again, because no else does. With heart of the wild (druid talent, turns you into a dps/tank) this is actually possible. Sometimes I even get to nuke both and if you happen to win that BG you do feel a bit useful. So stealth -> nuke glaives.

Twin Peaks
    I will fc if no tank is present and hope I don't need much assistance so the rest of the team can nuke efc.

The Battle for Gilneas
    Not much I can do than to heal my ass of at WW.

Temple of Kotmogu
    Just heal mid and get orbs ofc.

Silvershard Mines
    I will rush mid and knockback root as many as I can, usually the allies running towards water (middle cart). Other than that, run back and forth to see where you are most needed. Root, knockback, cyclone your... a lot.

Deepwind Gorge
    I don't know, I've started to run carts which I think is the best way I can be effective but I got a lot to learn about this map.
    Last edited by mmoccfe93d0670; 2014-03-31 at 11:28 AM.

Deleted
    You forgot the most essential part; teamwork. Help out your team. Buff, drop down soulwells whenever you can (especially in the beginning. **** you, Warlocks, who are too lazy to do so), and tables too. Give Hand of Freedom to your flag carrier, CC those that are chasing your flag carrier; stun, slow, fear, whatever you can. CC enemies that are approaching a base in AB or BfG that's about to be captured by a team member (so often I'm trying to take a flag and there's a Paladin in my team next to me who can easily stun that enemy that's approaching so I can finish capping the base, but 99% of the people I BG with are braindead). Gem correctly. Reforge correctly. Some people say "I don't really care about gems, I just want to have fun." Well, it's more fun to kill more people because you're more powerful than a scrub that's being killed all the time. Again, braindead. If there's 2 Paladins in the group and 1 already buffed Might, then don't ****ing buff Might as well. Look at the buffs you already have, and buff Kings instead. Stop ****ing nuking down a Monk that just popped Touch of Karma. How can you, 1.5 years after the release of Monks, still not know not to attack a Monk that has Karma up. Also, stop trying to stun DKs that popped Icebound, stop keyboard turning and clicking, invest in getting better. Learn the abilities of other classes and how to counter them. If it's a 2v2, both attack the same target and CC the other. Buy a ****ton of health potions, they're cheap and they DO save your life. It's all the small things that can make a huge difference.

A little bit more advanced is the use of focus macro's. Use shift modifiers on CC abilities, including your interrupt. R for kick, shift+R for focus kick, for example. Attacking a dps and healer at Stables in AB? Focus the healer, stay close, shift+R to kick a heal, stun, blind, whatever after 4 seconds (how long the healer is locked from healing), make sure the healer can't cast. Turn off your tunnel vision.

It requires an IQ of about 80 to play BGs properly, yet it seems most people don't even reach that. It's weird.
    Last edited by mmoc4df2ab8a0e; 2014-03-31 at 11:57 AM.

Deleted
    Good post Tyrasibion, I play a windwalker sometimes and touch of karma is hilarious in bg's. Its like some people know about it but don't want to waste their burst even if it means they get damaged instead. =) I have mana potions but haven't really started to use the other ones, maybe there is something useful for a healer except mana!?

I left out the essentials and are hoping for some class/role specific's. But thanks for writing those down.

Do you have any class-bg-map-secrets to share Tyrasibion? =) Or someone else?

I think Tyr pretty much hit the nail on the head with everything. I'll just rattle off some general strategies I use, that will probably overlap some of what's written.

Warsong Gulch

-Run interference on the enemy at start before anyone caps
    -During bg prep look at all the enemy specs and see if there are any potential FC's. Then kill or at least slow them forcing someone weaker on the team to take flag.
    -Provide peels for your FC. E.g. if you're a lock you can aoe fear, shadowfury, succ lash. A mage can frost nova, pet freeze, PoM Ring of Frost, etc. Lots you can do.
    -CC enemy healers because 9/10 times your braindead team mates will tunnel the FC without thinking.
    -Alternatively blow your cds/dps the healer while your team mates tunnel the FC. The healer will likely have a hard time keeping everyone alive, and any CC on them is bound to be broken by your own guys if they're in aoe range.
    -Run as a decoy (or get someone else to) for the FC. E.g Take the flag down tunnel, get defenders to chase you, you die while the proper FC takes it and goes up top, drawing enemy defense back to FR buying yourself more time. Meanwhile your team is clearing up mid and you're already halfway there.
    -Use CC wisely when on defense. Focus/cc healers.

Twin Peaks

In addition to general FC strats these are TP specific:
    - If you're a lock/monk place your teleport as far away from the flag as possible, on the other side of the wall. Grab flag, port and run. I imagine horde monks will have a better time getting away from cliffs.
    - Alliance FC's on defense that play lock or monk can use similar strats. Place ports on inside balcony overlooking Flag cap and wait outside within port range. Use knockbacks for any horde that try to get you. If you get overwhelmed port out.
    - Healers stay on balcony when defending keeping FC down, making sure you keep distance from enemies. Plus points if you're a priest and you can lifegrip the FC up to you.
    - Druids FC's can Wild Charge up to friendly targets on balcony to avoid dps. Get away from ledge to avoid getting Death gripped back down.
    -Locks place gateways over water for easier travel for team mates.

Arathi Basin

- I always go where the zerg isn't going. Any chance of nabbing a base from the enemy with fewer players means you'll either secure the base, or draw enemies away from other bases, buying your team more time and/or resources
    - Float between nodes you control to be able to call incoming and/or rush to defend from an attack.
    - AOE CC near flag caps. People can be sneaky sometimes with stealth and shadowmeld capping.
    - Keep your eye on the flag. I've seen so many nodes lost when 4/5 people are defending but about 5+ yards from node and a rogue caps flag.
    - At LM if you're a lock, drop your port on the edge of the cliff and keep a succubus out. You can shadowfury + whiplash them off the edge and you can port back (need to be quick) if they knock YOU off the cliff.
    - Druids - same as above. Stay in stealth, lure enemies to edge and typhoon them off. If they knock you off, wild charge back to them before you fall.
    - Horde players can go underwater when attacking stables from the BS to stay hidden as long as possible.
    - Use slowfall/parachutes to help quickly defend from LM > BS or BS > GM.
    - If the enemy is zerging, go behind and back-cap until you have BS as part of the back-capping (unless you already did). Keep the BS well defended because it's the most important strategic node in a zerg/back-cap situation. A good BS defense will scatter the zerg and leave you with (ideally) 3 nodes to keep.
    Last edited by gestapo; 2014-04-01 at 10:19 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrasibion View Post
    snip
    In a perfect world. But in most random BG's the majority of players don't follow objectives. So sometimes solo play is the only way to get stuff done, instead of hovering around the middle or between bases buffing players yelling "YAY TEAMWORK!".

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrasibion View Post
    You forgot the most essential part; teamwork. Help out your team. Buff, drop down soulwells whenever you can (especially in the beginning. **** you, Warlocks, who are too lazy to do so), and tables too. Give Hand of Freedom to your flag carrier, CC those that are chasing your flag carrier; stun, slow, fear, whatever you can. CC enemies that are approaching a base in AB or BfG that's about to be captured by a team member (so often I'm trying to take a flag and there's a Paladin in my team next to me who can easily stun that enemy that's approaching so I can finish capping the base, but 99% of the people I BG with are braindead). Gem correctly. Reforge correctly. Some people say "I don't really care about gems, I just want to have fun." Well, it's more fun to kill more people because you're more powerful than a scrub that's being killed all the time. Again, braindead. If there's 2 Paladins in the group and 1 already buffed Might, then don't ****ing buff Might as well. Look at the buffs you already have, and buff Kings instead. Stop ****ing nuking down a Monk that just popped Touch of Karma. How can you, 1.5 years after the release of Monks, still not know not to attack a Monk that has Karma up. Also, stop trying to stun DKs that popped Icebound, stop keyboard turning and clicking, invest in getting better. Learn the abilities of other classes and how to counter them. If it's a 2v2, both attack the same target and CC the other. Buy a ****ton of health potions, they're cheap and they DO save your life. It's all the small things that can make a huge difference.

A little bit more advanced is the use of focus macro's. Use shift modifiers on CC abilities, including your interrupt. R for kick, shift+R for focus kick, for example. Attacking a dps and healer at Stables in AB? Focus the healer, stay close, shift+R to kick a heal, stun, blind, whatever after 4 seconds (how long the healer is locked from healing), make sure the healer can't cast. Turn off your tunnel vision.

It requires an IQ of about 80 to play BGs properly, yet it seems most people don't even reach that. It's weird.
    Normally attemp to play properly in a rbg else if it's randoms i enjoying pvp'ing other players in mid becuase its pvp

10+ Year Old Account
    After having done a shitton of BGs lately, I've started noticing that it's more useful to just go ham on everything you see while still maintaining assistance on allies. What I mean by this is simply peeling, CCing etc.

The key to win in BGs truly is teamwork. Not so much killing 1 DPS with everyone at once when there's a healer. No, by killing OR chain CCing the healer and killing the DPS. This also means killing the strongest DPS the enemy has.

I usually end up CCing the shit out of the enemy healer while bursting into the enemy DPS. Occasionally I burst down the healer when I have procs and nobody is hitting him.