Page 1 of 26
... LastLast

Artcraft - Remaking the Female Draenei

Warlords of Draenor Preview - Faction Change/Betrayal Quest

Artcraft - Remaking the Female Draenei
    The new Female Draenei character model is here!

Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Welcome to Artcraft! I’m Chris Robinson, senior art director for World of Warcraft, and today we’ll be discussing the revamp of the female Draenei model. In this blog, we'll touch on how we approached this redesign, show before and after images, and talk about our art process with this particular model.

When we first discussed throwing away the old model and making a new female Draenei from scratch, one topic that kept coming up was the connection between the Lost Ones and the Draenei; visually, there wasn’t one. We wanted to help a player understand, more viscerally, the connection between the Lost Ones, and their seemingly perfect cousins—the Draenei. Ready to challenge long-standing design conceits, we rolled up our sleeves and got to work.

Lead Character artist Tyson Murphy explains: “The original model was never very popular among players, and while certainly there are the few who dearly love playing a female Draenei, we felt like we needed to start over. The best way for us to do that was pretty clear from the start: rely on the lore. I wanted to create a new face that got across the idea that this was someone you know, the proverbial “blue space demon next-door”, while playing up her connection to the Lost Ones. We brought out her eyes, created a more natural “Lost Ones” jaw line, brought her waistline in to more realistic proportions, and took the hairline up to create some visual parity with the male designs.”

Lead Animator Steve Aguilar:

“A lot of what we try to accomplish with art in the game is to tell a visual story through the textures, props, and animation, giving you a sense of what something is without having to outright explain it through text or voice. Most people forget that the original Draenei survivors on the Exodar came from one specific mountain family clan, and the Draenei female you know and love was actually conceived en route to Azeroth. We wanted to rough up her edges a bit, and tell a story that has been told many times before—the story of a rebellious young girl cooped up on her family’s floating crystal ship that’s just crashed on a fantastical planet. When you get your hands on Warlords of Draenor, be sure to take a look at some of the unique emotes the animation team has created for her. Some of my favorites are: /twerk, /ew, /chewgum, and /whatever. Also keep in mind that the models shown here are using a temporary pose, which may make her appear more animated and lively than she will in the final product.”

Character Artist Dusty Nolting adds:

“The Draenei, like all of the game’s races except the humans, are essentially anthropomorphic representations of animals, so a lot of care went into conveying that. Playing up the capra-like slender reverse-ankle and hoof, and adding tasteful amounts of fur, were both changes players have been asking for since Burning Crusade. We also know a lot of you have been requesting full “back side” shots to properly compare the before and after. Hopefully this helps!”

That’s all we have for the female Draenei right now. We hope you continue to enjoy this series as we invite you to meet the team, get insight into our development process, and sneak early looks at some of the art we’re creating for Warlords of Draenor.

See you next time!
    Last edited by chaud; 2014-04-01 at 01:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    10/10 would befriend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh my fucking god I actually hate it. Look at those eyes. They're pointing in different directions. Someone needs to add a giant banner on it saying "DERP" and it would fit perfectly. Those feet look like match heads. Best way to make an animal look more animalistic? Add fur and remove hooves to give stumps. Riiiight.

Ah well, I'm sure for me hating it, someone else will love it. I really hope this is an april fools though. If so, 10/10 absolutely phenomenal.
    Last edited by MerinPally; 2014-04-01 at 01:16 PM.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

LOL the eyes

inb4 rage of people who don't know what day it is

edit: third post and im still too late

Nice furry butt.

Face looks like a goose.

Look at the calendar people

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL what the hell is that

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Oh my fucking god I actually hate it. Look at those eyes. They're pointing in different directions. Someone needs to add a giant banner on it saying "DERP" and it would fit perfectly. Those feet look like match heads. Best way to make an animal look more animalistic? Add fur and remove hooves to give stumps. Riiiight.

Ah well, I'm sure for me hating it, someone else will love it.
    I suggest you check today's date.

Rule number one: Blizzard never post anything REAL on 1st April.

10+ Year Old Account
    LMAO 10/10 this year. They did't do one last year, but they covered atleast 2 years with one. The rage will Be amazing. Rofl.

I hope that means they'll release the real one this week, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post

Ah well, I'm sure for me hating it, someone else will love it.
    Not sure if serious or joking.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's my favorite day of the year.

inb4 "lost another raid tier"

Gotta love that double chin lmao

I think this is the best April fools day prank so far

15+ Year Old Account
    I'll be spamming F5 for the next 15 minutes just to see the comments. Model is hilarious.

LMAO that's wonderful.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    dat neck. so sexy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hilarious. GG Chris Robinson.