Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    The correct expression in civilised parts of the world is "choastie" (i.e. cheese toastie). Silly foreigners!

10+ Year Old Account
    Frying pan and butter.

Honestly, if these sandwich makers were so good, don't you think restaurants would be using them? Stop being lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by simsumre View Post
    Frying pan and butter.

Honestly, if these sandwich makers were so good, don't you think restaurants would be using them? Stop being lazy.
    Don't need to. I do the double-sided cooking method in the restaurant. But you're not likely to (I know I don't) have a flattop and heated weights at home.

I gave the technique to do it at home, above. It's actually better, imo.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2014-04-08 at 10:33 AM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Don't need to. I do the double-sided cooking method in the restaurant. But you're not likely to (I know I don't) have a flattop and heated weights at home.

I gave the technique to do it at home, above. It's actually better, imo.
    I'm not sure about smashing the bread, I like using thick bread. I've always done it by placing something over it so that it steam cooks the inside while crisping the outside. And always melt the butter and spread it on the bread with a brush as to coat both sides evenly.

I'm not sure about smashing the bread, I like using thick bread. I've always done it by placing something over it so that it steam cooks the inside while crisping the outside. And always melt the butter and spread it on the bread with a brush as to coat both sides evenly.
    Yup, one method. As I said, I'm not going to aggro on anyone for doing it otherwise.

Another method, if you want to keep the bread un-squished is to cook it as an open face sandwich. Both buttered sides down on a flattop, the side with cheese gets a squirt of water and a dome. Then assemble sandwich.

(I didn't mention buttering the bread in previous posts because I knew that when I was like 5... maybe not everyone does. Yes, evenly butter the outside of the bread.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Yup, one method. As I said, I'm not going to aggro on anyone for doing it otherwise.

Another method, if you want to keep the bread un-squished is to cook it as an open face sandwich. Both buttered sides down on a flattop, the side with cheese gets a squirt of water and a dome. Then assemble sandwich.

(I didn't mention buttering the bread in previous posts because I knew that when I was like 5... maybe not everyone does. Yes, evenly butter the outside of the bread.)
    eh most people just throw some butter on the bread straight out the fridge. It doesn't evenly coat it. You'd be surprised how easy it is to screw up a grilled cheese lol... or not you probably know that :P

eh most people just throw some butter on the bread straight out the fridge. It doesn't evenly coat it. You'd be surprised how easy it is to screw up a grilled cheese lol... or not you probably know that :P
    yup. The butter, microwave, 15-30 seconds, fixes that issue.

Or just set it by the burner while your pan is heating up.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    You Aussies and your different English words.

'grilled cheese', in the states, means the Sandwich, which is some cheese (generally not swiss/provolone like in that picture) between two slices of bread.

I've no idea what a jaffle or cheesie is.
    It also means it's usually... yanno... grilled. Not toasted as some are suggesting.

Deleted

Have this at home, works fine. havent u people heard of a tosti-ijzer (see link)?
    That's like standard household equipment in holland.

https://www.google.nl/search?q=tosti...w=1280&bih=896

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Flat skillet pan.

- - - Updated - - -

My mom always called it a toasty and just put them in the oven with it on broil. She didn't butter it, just put cheese and tomatoes on it. My husband (American) doesn't like it that way and prefers the American buttered frying pan version.
    My mother used to do the same. We'd do it with either cheese, or chocolate flakes. I prefer to do it with the frying pan now because I like the combination of crisp, and juicy. That, and it's faster than the oven.