Page 1 of 3
LastLast

2 gearsets needed in WoD for shadow priests.

"Shadow Priests who want to focus on single-target damage can aim for Mastery in their gearing; or, when multi-dotting is more valuable, prefer other secondary stats over Mastery."

With reforging gone, we will need a mastery set for single target and another set for multidot fights. This design is really bad. What were they thinking ? I don't want another expansion where we only do good dps on certain bosses. Hopefully this wont make it to live, cause it seems really stupid.

Let's go ahead and assume that these alpha patch notes are 100% final and there will be absolutely no changes for the 6-8 months the expansion is in development.

Deleted
    Seems a little strange that they would require two different gear sets when it looks like (for example) Balance will be able to switch between multi-target DPS and heavier single target DPS by choosing different L100 talents.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Let's go ahead and assume that these alpha patch notes are 100% final and there will be absolutely no changes for the 6-8 months the expansion is in development.
    Did you read the last sentence? GTFO.

Deleted
    Hopefully this wont make it to live, cause it seems really stupid.
    Current discussions on twitter with Celestalon shows that either he doesn't think that's a problem, or he doesn't understand why we will want 2 gearsets

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rahotep View Post
    Current discussions on twitter with Celestalon shows that either he doesn't think that's a problem, or he doesn't understand why we will want 2 gearsets
    For those interested:

https://twitter.com/knighterrant81/s...18942614065152

Seems silly that you will need different gear sets to perform different types of damage. Also a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Halcyonic Picnic View Post
    For those interested:

https://twitter.com/knighterrant81/s...18942614065152

Seems silly that you will need different gear sets to perform different types of damage. Also a pain.
    I'll take requiring two gear sets over having one gear set and being suboptimal half of the time.

Seems a little strange that they would require two different gear sets when it looks like (for example) Balance will be able to switch between multi-target DPS and heavier single target DPS by choosing different L100 talents.
    Maybe.... but without all the other crap we now have to carry around with us its not such a big deal... I remember in BC I had THREE sets of gear for my shammy. DPS Set, MP5 Resto set, and haste resto set. This is nothing new really.

Deleted
    I really doubt that's the design intent. If it was worded as it was I can only imagine it was worded poorly.

Blizzard won't actively encourage collecting several peices of gear. That will be a player choice, no doubt, but Blizzard won't say "If you want to suceed in both roles, carry lots of gear."

Celestalon has been fervently saying on twitter that you aren't locking yourself into either role based on gear. So, take that for what it is, and assume that the quote in the OP is either misunderstood, miswritten or just a miss.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassidin View Post
    Maybe.... but without all the other crap we now have to carry around with us its not such a big deal... I remember in BC I had THREE sets of gear for my shammy. DPS Set, MP5 Resto set, and haste resto set. This is nothing new really.
    Yeah, same. I remember the days of having purple gemmed gear, red gemmed gear and a haste set for different types of healing as well. However, the model of the game has moved beyond that and it certainly puts one damage dealing spec (one that I don't have any intention to play in WoD mind you) at a disadvantage if a competing DPS doesn't need to spend the weeks or months putting together an AoE set and can simply toggle between different modes at a whim.

I'll take requiring two gear sets over having one gear set and being suboptimal half of the time.
    In a perfect world (of warcraft) you should only need one gear set and be optimal all the time with your ability to change a rotation or play style mid-encounter dictating if you can put out good AoE or single target DPS.

Looks like you don't know how Blizzard works.

Yeah, same. I remember the days of having purple gemmed gear, red gemmed gear and a haste set for different types of healing as well. However, the model of the game has moved beyond that and it certainly puts one damage dealing spec (one that I don't have any intention to play in WoD mind you) at a disadvantage if a competing DPS doesn't need to spend the weeks or months putting together an AoE set and can simply toggle between different modes at a whim.
    Yes, this is certainly true. I would have more problem with the idea of some classes/specs NOT needing two sets of gear - than the one that does. If everyone needed 2 sets - it would be annoying - but fair. If that isn't the case, its not fair on the spriests.

In a perfect world (of warcraft) you should only need one gear set and be optimal all the time with your ability to change a rotation or play style mid-encounter dictating if you can put out good AoE or single target DPS.
    True again. With the way they have been changing the game and simplifying it this simply doesn't fit in.

If they want to implement this new mastery, it means mastery is devalued when multidotting.
    This problem currently exists somewhat on live but the other way around; mastery isn't affecting MB, MS and SW and is therefore less effective on single target.
    Talents offset this a bit though, and Mind Flay and Mind Sear also benefitting from our current mastery.
    But yeah my point is they're only taking a problem we have and turning it into another (worse imo) problem with this change.

They could've just kept the current master and allowed MB, MS, and SW to proc as well but without giving us orbs, and scaled it down a bit (either scale down the % chance to proc it, or scale down the size of the proccs).
    That way they're not devaluing mastery from multidot fights like they are now.

Or better yet, scrap the Clarity of Power talent. Screw playing Shadow without DoTs.

Or this.
    Mastery: All your damaging spells have a X% chance to send a shadowy projectile at your target, causing 40% of the damage done from the proccing spell to be dealt.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Juicebox View Post
    If they want to implement this new mastery, it means mastery is devalued when multidotting.
    This problem currently exists somewhat on live but the other way around; mastery isn't affecting MB, MS and SW and is therefore less effective on single target.
    Talents offset this a bit though, and Mind Flay and Mind Sear also benefitting from our current mastery.
    But yeah my point is they're only taking a problem we have and turning it into another (worse imo) problem with this change.
    I don't think that flipping it around is an issue, the main issue with shadow pve is that in a raid there is always at least one boss that is pretty much garunteed even in spoils theres "boss" type mobs which u want to get down. as it stand atm we're only useful when mechanics allow us to be, with the changes the idea is that won't be the case because we'll be able to rely on that source of damage from mastery or clarity of power etc.

I'd personally prefer having a few pieces in my bags geared towards mastery/not mastery to change in per fight its not like u cant make an item set and you wont have to worry about if changing those pieces will affect your hit chance.

Didn't they change SPriest hit chance raidbuff in wotlk, I believe its name was Misery? And their reasoning was they didn't want other raid members to carry two sets of gear (one set of gear when there is a SP in the raid and another set when there is no SP).
    Last edited by Zaroch; 2014-04-04 at 02:39 PM.

I'm really not liking the idea of having to try and get more and more gear. As the swing healer in my guild, I already have to have two solid gear sets for healing and dps. If that continues in WoD, I'm going to need multiple pieces to swap in and out for shadow, in addition to the healing pieces I have to swap (because apparently you will have to have spirit in those off slots from the sounds of things). It probably won't end up being any less bag space, and a lot more RNG at getting all of those items. It was nice that I could reforge suboptimal gear now, not the case in WoD.

I don't understand this logic..are we not aloud to discuss anything until Blizzard has locked it in as final? They released the notes for a reason, they want people talking about them so than can figure our what people like and don't like.
    Hi Sephurik

You won't NEED two sets of gear. The intent is for a heavy Mastery setup to be optimal for single target and high Haste/Crit to be optimal for multitarget but you can work with anywhere in between to suit your needs. Mixed stats would give you more encounter to encounter consistency.

Of course if you want to 100% min/max to the exact theoretical % for each type, you'll need two sets. But this isn't really any different than other classes and specs with the stats being made closer in value and having distinct strengths. Especially with things like Multi-Strike and Readiness.

It'll probably be a case of Mastery being weighted at say 1 for single target and Haste/Crit at 0.85, while for multitarget the stat values are reversed. I highly doubt they're going to hardcore gear lock Shadow and force them to 100% Mastery stack as their only source of single target.
    Last edited by Bullettime; 2014-04-04 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    You won't NEED two sets of gear. The intent is for a heavy Mastery setup to be optimal for single target and high Haste/Crit to be optimal for multitarget but you can work with anywhere in between to suit your needs. Mixed stats would give you more encounter to encounter consistency.

Of course if you want to 100% min/max to the exact theoretical % for each type, you'll need two sets. But this isn't really any different than other classes and specs with the stats being made closer in value and having distinct strengths. Especially with things like Multi-Strike and Readiness.

It'll probably be a case of Mastery being weighted at say 1 for single target and Haste/Crit at 0.85, while for multitarget the stat values are reversed. I highly doubt they're going to hardcore gear lock Shadow and force them to 100% Mastery stack as their only source of single target.
    We don't NEED a raid slot either. We just want one.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    I don't understand this logic..are we not aloud to discuss anything until Blizzard has locked it in as final? They released the notes for a reason, they want people talking about them so than can figure our what people like and don't like.
    People do need to talk about it. But they cant really put their argument as a fact until they can actually go test it.