Poll: Do you think people learn their class from leveling

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you think people learn their class from leveling?

Simple question really, I have to say no they don't for 2 reasons

1. You 2 shot practically everything and don't even need to use your rotation

2. Your class changes entirely when you hit max level

So what do you think?
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

No.

There used to be class-specific quests that helped a little bit, but the game has never really done much to make you learn your class as part of the leveling process. The fact that you reached level cap doesn't mean you know anything at all about your class. You could be doing everything completely ass-backwards and still eventually get to 90 with enough patience.

You can boost a 90, spend 10 minutes reading a class guide, another 10 minutes beating on a target dummy, and be better at the game than someone who spammed two buttons all the way to level 90.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2014-10-11 at 05:22 PM.

yes. they wont become heroic raiders when they reach the current level cap, but at least they know their abilities. unlike when they boost a char, the amount of abilities will become overwhelming for most of them.

It depends on how interested they are in reading the forums and 3rd party websites whilst doing so.

Levelling alone isn't going to teach you much, because you just aren't likely to stumble across the optimal way to gear and and play your class in levelling. You just aren't going to be doing theorycrafting and the like.

What levelling is useful for is practice. If you read into your class a bit whilst levelling then it gives you the opportunity to try out what you've read. Even if you never really get fully into your rotation, that's still valuable at times. Not every situation is going to give you the time to execute a full rotation against every target you need to kill, even in raiding.

For brand new players it's even more useful. Simple stuff like movement and getting used to where everything is bound. WoW is a lot of people's first, sometimes only, MMO ever. For long time players of MMOs or RPGs stuff is likely to make sense, but for people who don't know genre standards when it comes to controls and interface you'd be surprised how much they have to pick up whilst levelling.

You need a more grey area poll response. I think people learn at least the very basics of their class, but most don't master it.

To an extent, yes. But you don't really learn how to play your class to the extreme until end game. Leveling you learn pieces, endgame you put all those pieces together. And yet still, you will learn things from more seasoned vets, research, moments of enlightenment during a fight, when you go... "OMG I could've been doing [this] better with [this] ability".... But leveling does help with basic how-to of your class.

Hehe - on a side note, you know what makes you learn you class? Warlock green fire quest. <- things like that had me using many lock abilities i never had used before and forced you to do things at the right time and to the right mobs, that was an epic lock learning scenerio.
    Last edited by slime; 2014-10-11 at 04:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhat yes, but I believe you learn more about your class from outside the game on fan websites.

Deleted
    Yes, having just boosted my Warlock from 60 to 90, there is certainly a step up that I would've learned by playing those levels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leveling teaches you how to play a class.

Research and practice teaches you how to play it well.

Not usually. Some people are able to, most aren't. The abundance of heirlooms and facerollable content while leveling has little need to learn how to play effectively. Even so most practical means aren't learned until level cap content. Max level dungeons can teach players if the content isn't a pushover and is relevant. (See: Cata Heroic 5m's) PvP is roughly the same until Arenas and BG stalemates.

Even with what a joke leveling is now there is some to be learned if people just pay attention to the new abilities coming in. Many people ignore it and just flail about casting any random spell/attack and wonder why they aren't playing as well as others. (They also flood to LFR and BG's and make the game miserable to long time players)
    Stay salty my friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    A basic amount yes, for me I learned how to truly play from other sites and players. Guess it really just depends on the player. Boosted a rogue and i do just fine with it.
    #JusticeForRucati
    PSN: Iskalla74, inv for Destiny if you need help

No. You will be as familiar on a boosted char within 10 minutes on timeless isle as you would be leveling if not more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

No, some characters have really late abilities that completely change the playstyle of the class, a lvl or two of levling using it won't change that, or help you figure out HOW to use it

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    No. You will be as familiar on a boosted char within 10 minutes on timeless isle as you would be leveling if not more.
    Depends if you find yourself in ghost form a lot, not much to learn there - expect what not to do next time.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Jumping in to a dungeon and having a tank that pulls the entire instance is a great way for a healer to learn how to not go OOM while also pushing out enough HPS to keep the group alive.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2014-10-11 at 05:14 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me? Yes. For anyone else? I have no idea.

I know for a fact that leveling teaches me a class because I've been given three level capped characters over the years and I still don't play any of them because I dont know how. I know how to play my hunter, my paladin, my mage, my rogue, all because I leveled them from one. I know what each ability does, I dont even know where to begin on characters that have all their abilities.

EDIT: Maybe I didn't understand your question. Are you asking if people learn about their class? Or if leveling makes them a master at how to play it? No leveling doesnt make you a master, most often people just google specs, rotations, and stuff like that. But leveling will definitely teach you the ins and outs of the class that are hard to figure out for people who cant handle trying to figure out each ability at 90.
    Last edited by Taurous; 2014-10-11 at 05:17 PM.

Ehm yes? You learn the basic of your class, of course when you are at max level you are not fully learned, far from it. But of course you learn your class from leveling?

The average person definitely doesn't because they keep their 2shot every mob mindset all the way to 85, then question why they get kicked from every dungeon they do (raid at 90), quit the game, then come back later when a friend tells them to rejoin. It's a vicious cycle for those people who put in no effort.

Like you'll definitely learn your toolkit and your spells (unless you're an absolute moron), but you won't ever be pulling high DPS, tanking effectively, or healing efficiently without a little outside effort.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

IMO, not really, because with every expansion almost every class unlocks a key ability or talent somewhere in the last couple of levels that totally changes your rotation, making everything you learned up til them mostly irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by YuneKirby View Post
    IMO, not really, because with every expansion almost every class unlocks a key ability or talent somewhere in the last couple of levels that totally changes your rotation, making everything you learned up til them mostly irrelevant.
    I mean, your stat weights change and your stuff gets tweaked. It's a lot more than "one extra button".
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.