Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Guys I think what they are doing is this: yes many of the faces look the same in the character creator, but thats because of how the original faces looked like. Like with the female Dwarf, there was a angry one with the old faces. Now with these new models, every face will have emotions, so there is no need for a face that looked angry, because the emotions of the model can now be angry when needed to, unlike in the past. I think that is what they are doing at least

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Damn it I finally made a dwarf female not long ago, don't like those faces at all tbh, forgot which my dorf has.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mucrush View Post
    Guys I think what they are doing is this: yes many of the faces look the same in the character creator, but thats because of how the original faces looked like. Like with the female Dwarf, there was a angry one with the old faces. Now with these new models, every face will have emotions, so there is no need for a face that looked angry, because the emotions of the model can now be angry when needed to, unlike in the past. I think that is what they are doing at least
    what about people who want to have old faces, or young faces. giving a characters face a mesh to change there emotion might seem like a solution, but if your someone who plays a character whos meant to have some age to them, or be younger, then so far I don't see that option, and it won't be there if all they do is make each face with a slightly different facial expression.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkblade95 View Post
    Then why is Chris Robinson going to make an Artcraft discussing it? Do you really think he'll say, "sorry but we couldn't do different faces so enjoy the same face".

He has said he has "top people on it" and that he will be addressing it in an artcraft.
    No, if/when he finally does that artcraft he will show that they in fact put a lot of effort into making these textures (which I don't doubt, but it's not enough this time around) and provide pictures that highlight the little differences between the faces better than these screen captures.
    It will be a way of showing the players that they "tried", some people will be disappointed but they won't blame Blizzard for it, which might be what they're going for.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    what about people who want to have old faces, or young faces. giving a characters face a mesh to change there emotion might seem like a solution, but if your someone who plays a character whos meant to have some age to them, or be younger, then so far I don't see that option, and it won't be there if all they do is make each face with a slightly different facial expression.
    I think some of those faces looked older... a angry face doesn't mean its a old person xD

Deleted

I clearly see aging here.

10+ Year Old Account
    They need to draw noticeably different eyebrows on them.

That's already a means to make their faces significantly different from one another. I'd think the anchor points for the eyebrows would be a lot more lenient than those for the lips, nose, and so forth.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    No, if/when he finally does that artcraft he will show that they in fact put a lot of effort into making these textures (which I don't doubt, but it's not enough this time around) and provide pictures that highlight the little differences between the faces better than these screen captures.
    It will be a way of showing the players that they "tried", some people will be disappointed but they won't blame Blizzard for it, which might be what they're going for.
    The female dwarves emotions are not the definition of "just trying".

Quote Originally Posted by freighttrain View Post
    I see 5 different eyebrows, 3, possibly 4 different lips ( hard to tell on my friends phone), and at least 2 different skin textures. All 5 faces look different to me. But then I have the gift of noticing little and out of the focus things easily.

We know from a rigging perspective all the faces will be the same. The only thing they can do is make slight changes to nose, lips, eyebrows, cheeks, chins, and ears in addition to tatoos, piercings, and skin blemishes. This is alpha and Blizzard laughs at those trying to make informed decisions about datamined and unfinished early projects.
    on which race are you seeing this? the person i responded to was talking about tauren, male dwarf, and orc (female dwarf is obviously different faces).

each option shows a different skin tone, which is a separate customization option altogether from face (at least currently). would be odd if these different skin tone options also changed the faces.

Deleted
    Facial hair and hair colour bing bang bip solved

Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    Although that does seem like a possibility, I just don't think "top people on it" means textures and that's it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    I said this before and I'll say again, the difference has to be built through animations, not just textures.
    Right, but to be honest, this isn't what people are failing to understand. Yes, they're expressed through animations, but this is a double edged sword.

Take the female gnomes for example. They obviously have some texture variation on them which looks nice but as far as the model and it's animation, all of those faces return idle to that same, vacant smile. No matter what, you cannot make a female gnome that looks serious. One of the replies to the tweets about this was from a woman who claims her gnome is a "Gnomish Commander." Welp, sucks to be her. Guess your gnomish commander is stuck thinking something is mildly funny for the rest of her life.

Is it a big deal? No, but it's still a valid concern had by many.
    Last edited by Luko; 2014-04-06 at 10:50 PM.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkblade95 View Post
    Just remember that Chris Robinson said in the first Artcraft that they may add new customization features during WoD's patches, such as moles, wrinkles and scars. They look different enough to be honest, I don't know why you expected their heads to be different shapes when they said they're trying to preserve the old model feeling. But hey maybe we'll get that in the future, the key thing right now is getting the models updated.
    We all know this is never going to happen.

working hard to find solution for distinct facial variants with new anim system. Tricky but we have top people on it!
    https://twitter.com/artofcgrobinson/...45211986305025
    As I said before, that sound most like bonescaling and not better textures.

Gnome face comparisons, in case these help anyone:

The "old" gnome is still old, but in a way that puts the wrinkles in completely different spots. The others, well, the eye colors match up at least.

Oh gosh! The female Gnomes look horrifying!

Quote Originally Posted by Devechka View Post
    Oh gosh! The female Gnomes look horrifying!
    Yeah the female Gnomes eyes are just way to big, like I'm that crazy ass ex girlfriend that has been lurking around a little too much look. Some how they went from mildly cute to omfg creeper lady.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Yeah the female Gnomes eyes are just way to big, like I'm that crazy ass ex girlfriend that has been lurking around a little too much look. Some how they went from mildly cute to omfg creeper lady.
    "Whatcha doing noww huhh?" I'm thinking the eyebrows are making it worse than it is, the first one isn't that bad.

Still not enough variety. Dunno what Blizzard is thinking.

Bah even if they make all the faces look 90% the same between one another I'm sure there will be enough apologists to defend Blizzard even though this is one of the greatest and most important graphical updates done to the game in 10 years and should be completed flawlessly.

This quote is encouraging though: "working hard to find solution for distinct facial variants with new anim system. Tricky but we have top people on it!"