Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Heroes of the Storm models

Okay, so this is a short OP, but..

Is there any real technological limitation that keeps Blizzard devs from importing some Heroes of the Storm models into World of Warcraft? Not all, of course, but looking at characters like Brightwing and Stitches, can't they just implement those in WoW? I mean, they're higher quality than their current in-game counterparts, as abominations, faerie dragons and crypt lords are as old as Classic.

Brightwing

Stitches

Anub'Arak

Now some models are too LQ to fit, like most humanoid ones (Jaina, Tyrande, Sylvanas), but wouldn't WoW gain from at least those three? They likely have a lot of elaborate animations too. If anything, at least the Faerie Dragon would make a good fit for a new battle pet.

Deleted
    The game engine.

Deleted
    Sc2 has same model format as wow, so probably hots has also the same model format.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowbro View Post
    The game engine.

Isn't it sort of similar across the board? Not that I am necessarily arguing it over with you. I'm not at all well-informed when it comes to this subject.

The game engine.
    Literally this.

Besides, why would they make WoW 2 with an updated engine when they can milk money from people with a modified WC III one?

Don't expect to see WoW2 or an updated engine until they're in dire conditions looking for a quick way to make people resub.

Deleted
    the models in heoes are smaller so the same texture would still look better because of model scale

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by C1d0s View Post
    Literally this.

Besides, why would they make WoW 2 with an updated engine when they can milk money from people with a modified WC III one?

Don't expect to see WoW2 or an updated engine until they're in dire conditions looking for a quick way to make people resub.
    Did.. did you reply to the wrong thread or something?
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Quote Originally Posted by Brazorf View Post
    the models in heoes are smaller so the same texture would still look better because of model scale

Ah, true, I suppose! Hmh..

Deleted
    The game engine.
    People just use this as an excuse.

Nothing. They can do it if they want. See the Baneling-- that's exactly the same model from SC2.

They have enough on their hands working on the new character models. Why would they revisit old mob models that aren't likely to even feature in the new expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by Disapproval Turtle View Post
    People just use this as an excuse.
    I'm fairly certain I can't push 250mph in a model floor station wagon.

Same concept.

Quote Originally Posted by arcaneshot View Post
    Nothing. They can do it if they want. See the Baneling-- that's exactly the same model from SC2.
    Ah, yeah, I thought so. I actually figured the Baneling was custom modeled/animated.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    They have enough on their hands working on the new character models. Why would they revisit old mob models that aren't likely to even feature in the new expansion?

.. Wouldn't this qualify as 'not having to work' to update them?

also using bump map for the textures which wow cant support or haven't seen it

Literally this.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Why would they ever add an animation just to open our maps almost 8 years into the games release?

You jaded little cynics,.. you'll never get over the love you lost.

Anyways, holy shit,.. Demon Hunter class now please.
    http://www.heroesnexus.com/heroes/10-illidan

I too love a lot of these models more than WOW's in game models. I've been talking about this for a while now.

Look at these, the Titan, the Dwarven Space Marine, the Blade Master, gah. So cool.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX5hh...Hgr-Q&index=85

- - - Updated - - -

But who knows how compatible the engines are at all. It's just something that added fuel to the need for updated character models we're now finally getting. Hopefully more inpiration comes from this game too.

- - - Updated - - -

Where's the beef!?

I wish Furion's WOW model looked half this cool. Awwww, horns look silly to you? NO SOUP FOR YOU!

BEEFY!

A man's man.

Beef Eater, Lord of the Beef.

- - - Updated - - -

This Titan makes me want to meet a Titan of some kind so badly, epic mutha.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    Why would they ever add an animation just to open our maps almost 8 years into the games release?
    Because that's literally something an unpaid intern could animate within the current system in less than a week's worth of time. If you honestly think that's comparable to revamping entire models and rigging brand new skeletons, I don't think there's any point to debate anything further.

10+ Year Old Account
    The HotS models use normal maps which I don't think the WoW engine can handle, at least I can't think of them ever having been used. Though I suppose they could just not apply the NM.
    They're also built with a top-down view in mind, so many of them would probably look questionable from the ground.

Because that's literally something an unpaid intern could animate within the current system in less than a week's worth of time. If you honestly think that's comparable to revamping entire models and rigging brand new skeletons, I don't think there's any point to debate anything further.
    Actually they took every single race and every single sex and had to reanimate their entire weight distribution and posture with custom animations for each race and sex, including idiosyncratic stances and ways they moved their head and moved their lips and facial expressions while reading their map. A tad bit more complicated than you seem to be giving it credit for. But that's beside the point. It's not a 1:1 equivocation, and if you think this is debateable in debate form beyond sharing opinions with each other, I think you're in for chasing your own tail.

Blizzard does things all the time they don't need to do. Dynamic shadows, sunset and dawn FX, updated water surfaces, weather systems, grass that moves and spreads under your feet, grass that sways in the wind, modeled cloud systems and fog banks, new player model updates, illuminated animated ground textures, higher resolution compact terrain textures increased every expansion in fidelity, view distance improved and increased and tweaked in nearly every expansion, changing all grey skinned dwarves to only have red eyes permanently, giving Thrall a brand new model in Cataclysm, then trashing it months after release and giving him a better fully customized and animated one. SAOO lighting. It's all gradual, a custom unique ground texture for every single individual zone in the game. There never will be a WOW 2, but in ten years from now I bet you it will look about on par with it when all is said and done. Of course, WOW is going to fail though before that will even happen, right?

The point is, Blizzard doesn't just do the bare minimum they can get away with. And they go out of their way to work on projects they love, for a game they made as a labor of love. If they were only in this for the money, they could have heen accountants and lawyers or plumbers. They want to make a living doing what they love to do.

Implying they are milking anything here is just jaded bullshit in my delicate and subjective opinion. Most of the limitations and recycled assets are due to one thing, people who refuse to update their computer rigs beyond something more powerful than my smart phone.

The only thing being milked here is the opportunity for me to defend my sacred holy cow.
    Last edited by Yig; 2014-02-24 at 01:28 AM.
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    Actually they took every single race and every single sex and had to reanimate their entire weight distribution and posture with custom animations for each race and sex, including idiosyncratic stances and ways they moved their head and moved their lips and facial expressions while reading their map. A tad bit more complicated than you seem to be giving it credit for.

Blizzard does things all the time they don't need to do. Dynamic shadows, sunset and dawn FX, updated water surfaces, weather systems, grass that moves and spreads under your feet, grass that sways in the wind, modeled cloud systems and fog banks, new player model updates, illuminated animated ground textures, higher resolution compact terrain textures increased every expansion in fidelity, view distance improved and increased and tweaked in nearly every expansion, changing all grey skinned dwarves to only have red eyes permanently, giving Thrall a brand new model in Cataclysm, then trashing it months after release and giving him a better fully customized and animated one. SAOO lighting. It's all gradual, a custom unique ground texture for every single individual zone in the game. There never will be a WOW 2, but in ten years from now I bet you it will look about on par with it when all is said and done. Of course, WOW is going to fail though before that will even happen, right?

The point is, Blizzard doesn't just do the bare minimum they can get away with. And they go out of their way to work on projects they love, for a game they made as a labor of love. If they were only in this for the money, they could have heen accountants and lawyers or plumbers. They want to make a living doing what they love to do.

Implying they are milking anything here is just jaded bullshit in my delicate and subjective opinion. Most of the limitations and recycled assets are due to one thing, people who refuse to update their computer rigs beyond something more powerful than my smart phone.

The only thing being milked here is the opportunity for me to defend my sacred holy cow.
    It's literally an idle character with animated hands and head. Sorry, your jargon doesn't make it any more impressive. If you think that's difficult or time-consuming for "professionals" of the industry, I feel sorry for you. Try harder, please.

As well, I find it humorous that you actually believe every graphical addition to the game is somehow brought forth from the kindness of Blizzard's heart, like they're personally reading your dream journal to see what's next on their to-do list. Perhaps it has more to do with the fact that nearly every MMO released in competition with WoW already has these features because they run on an engine from this generation? Perhaps Blizzard wants to AT LEAST stay somewhere near par so their game can maintain its status as the ten ton gorilla? No, it has to be the glorious blue overlords feeding us love and tenderness because they're so darn sweet! Are you kidding me?

Implying they do what they do because of the "wuv of the work" is merely the opposite of the "they're greedy" argument. They're both moronic extremes. I have promoted neither; instead, while I do believe there are people who do enjoy their work at Blizzard, I feel that the bottom line is a far more important to them. It's a reasonable assessment, considering they're - you know - a major player in the industry.

I will agree with you on the point of limited assets being caused by Blizz's insistence that the game run on ancient Egyptian tablets, but that excuse can only go so far considering how - I'm repeating myself at this point - the engine can only do so much. It's old; it will not last forever; there are things it simply cannot do. If there is one concrete fact in my post, it is this. While WoW 2 may never see the light of day due to the stubbornness of people like you, I guarantee any future MMO released by Blizzard won't use the same engine as WoW. That would literally gimp them right out of the gate.

Defend your holy cow all you want. It doesn't bother me, personally. I find it strange, but I certainly understand where you're coming from. That said, you would think those who make such exaggerated (obviously facetious) comparisons would also expect a little more from the powers at be.
    Last edited by C1d0s; 2014-02-24 at 02:17 AM.

It's literally an idle character with animated hands and head. Sorry, your jargon doesn't make it any more impressive. If you think that's difficult or time-consuming for "professionals" of the industry, I feel sorry for you. Try harder, please.

As well, I find it humorous that you actually believe every graphical addition to the game is somehow brought forth from the kindness of Blizzard's heart, like they're personally reading your dream journal to see what's next on their to-do list. Perhaps it has more to do with the fact that nearly every MMO released in competition with WoW already has these features because they run on an engine from this generation? Perhaps Blizzard wants to AT LEAST stay somewhere near par so their game can maintain its status as the ten ton gorilla? No, it has to be the glorious blue overlords feeding us love and tenderness because they're so darn sweet! Are you kidding me?

Implying they do what they do because of the "wuv of the work" is merely the opposite of the "they're greedy" argument. They're both moronic extremes. I have promoted neither; instead, while I do believe there are people who do enjoy their work at Blizzard, I feel that the bottom line is a far more important to them. It's a reasonable assessment, considering they're - you know - a major player in the industry.

I will agree with you on the point of limited assets being caused by Blizz's insistence that the game run on ancient Egyptian tablets, but that excuse can only go so far considering how - I'm repeating myself at this point - the engine can only do so much. It's old; it will not last forever; there are things it simply cannot do. If there is one concrete fact in my post, it is this. While WoW 2 may never see the light of day due to the stubbornness of people like you, I guarantee any future MMO released by Blizzard won't use the same engine as WoW. That would literally gimp them right out of the gate.

Defend your holy cow all you want. It doesn't bother me, personally. I find it strange, but I certainly understand where you're coming from. That said, you would think those who make such exaggerated (obviously facetious) comparisons would also expect a little more from the powers at be.
    It's not difficult at all or about being difficult, i'm just saying it was a bit more than an intern's 5 day shift and it was totally unnecessary and done for nothing more than flavor. And they have a lot more flavor planned, unless Chris Robinson is being forced at gunpoint to work for the PR and hype department. Should I try to go there in person and rescue him just to make sure? You're kind of evoking a fallacy of extremes by implying I say they do everything out of the "wuv of dare wittle heartsy wartsies" there's a spectrum between what they do out of passion and interest and what they do to keep competitive and relevant, my point was it's asinine to make them out to be just doing the bare minimum while they milk us for all we're worth and not to expect them to do anything more than the bare minimum. That's all.

And I do expect more out of Blizzard than where we get, and I get pretty frustrated with their conservative approach to this game and their fear of messing with what they're not sure what made them so popular in the first place. But I get equally frustrated with hyperbole and jaded tall poppy syndrome making the big faceless company out to be resting on their money fattened laurels, because for some reason they have so much money they even put it along the inside seams of their laurels. I would rather they trash the game and redo the thing with a brand new engine that gives Wildstar a run for their money. I'm not defending what they're doing there at all or being stubborn about it.

To put it simply, i'm just annoyed by this focus on them milking us as naive consumers who are mindless sheep.

I'm tired. Let's just be friends. We don't necessarily have to milk each other if you don't want to.
    Last edited by Yig; 2014-02-24 at 02:54 AM.