Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Does old content sitting there make you sad?

I have a hard time with wasting things I buy. So to design content, then just let it sit there for eternity make you kinda feel bad for the designers and the players? Granted, in WoW, it's most dangerous enemy is nostalgia, but still, I can't believe they haven't coded a scaling for these raids and dungeons. It just feels odd that there is SO MUCH more for newer players to see, and granted you can speed run through it at level cap, but wouldn't be great to actually fight C'thun with new abilities and skill, or spend 13 years walking through Ulduar again? IDK, maybe it's my own nostalgia that keeps me from playing anymore, but if you want to see that 10 million subscriber mark again and swim in even more money, that's a guarantee. Or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I just can't wait to read all the funny responses this thread is going to get.

but OT: Blizz already said that they are trying to add a scaling option for all old raids/dungeons to make them relevant again. But as to your little prophecy about forcing levelers to do all the raiding tiers as they hit the appropriate level for them (I assume that was what you were saying idk it's kinda all over the place in that post) and blizz reaching 10mil subs again? I could not, sir, laugh any harder at you than I currently am now.
    Hmm, you take me too seriously sir, I suggest roofies.

OT: No, they should not have to raid to level, just make them an ALTERNATIVE to whatever is in the game now, whether it's raiding, gold farming, going to the outhouse in the Grizzly Man Magazine Hills Party, or sitting in Orgyrammer xing on top of who I assume will be Vol'gin in the Captain's Chair.

I wonder if the guns will be replaced with remote controls.

Party.

- - - Updated - - -

I just can't wait to read all the funny responses this thread is going to get.

but OT: Blizz already said that they are trying to add a scaling option for all old raids/dungeons to make them relevant again. But as to your little prophecy about forcing levelers to do all the raiding tiers as they hit the appropriate level for them (I assume that was what you were saying idk it's kinda all over the place in that post) and blizz reaching 10mil subs again? I could not, sir, laugh any harder at you than I currently am now.
    You are also Satan with 666 posts, please go back to Saddam in Hell and lube up next time, I think your a bit chaffed.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2014-04-09 at 08:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've read this 6 times now and I'm convinced that I get more confused by every read thereafter.
    Hmmm, check your pants, you may have crit yourself. It happened to me not 2 minutes ago. I was watching an old Samurai Pizza Cat's commercial and got too excited at the part with the thing and the dohicky.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    I think that a cross realm ordeal where one old raid was selected and if you completed it there was a reward, that was continuous (to give reasons to do it after the first time) would be nice. I don't know what that reward would be and old raids would likely have to be scaled down to 20 man... For the love of baby green jesus though don't make it a LFR quality ordeal, actually have some difficulty.
    That or a Challenge Mode like task with them, but for many it would still be go in do once and never touch again, or dude streaming is selling them for IRL currency.
    I would love to see it, but to make it provide reasonable rewards without hurting current content, that way people would do it more frequently then once or twice for nostalgia and never again would be hard.

No, and why would it? All of the old content had it's day of glory and is now relegated to museum pieces.

Just like some classic museum cars you like to look at it once in a while, but using one would be uncomfortable and unsafe.

Deleted
    I run older content more than I do current content, lol.

Just wish they would add some nice mount drops to some of the older raids. I've got all the rare drop mounts now pre MoP (bar Ultraxion's mount), so something new to chase after would be awesome.

Deleted
    Do I want to run raids I have already run a hundred times to beat them, and then go back again for that experience again? Maybe once, and then never ever again, waste of money to design such a feature...

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess it's my not-Jew blood that makes me sad seeing hard werk go to waste. Ah well, there's always private servers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seen it done it, I'd like it scaled for nostalgia but it doesn't make me sad.

Everything should scale with your level just like it does in D3 since 2.0. Of course outside instances that would be problematic to do if not impossible - maybe just zone out thing based on level range? Like 1-10 durotar, 10-15 etc.

That would solve "I outlvl zone and do not see story" problems, also make old content relevant, it would be really cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm more sad that old raid content is soloable. I see no prestige in being server first or any relevance to "current content", so if I killed Lich King 2 expansions ago or tonight, I still killed him? I sure did. Got a title and some boots to prove it!

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord Booty View Post
    I'm more sad that old raid content is soloable. I see no prestige in being server first or any relevance to "current content", so if I killed Lich King 2 expansions ago or tonight, I still killed him? I sure did. Got a title and some boots to prove it!
    My thoughts exactly. But then again, I wouldn't want to reroll and try to do them at level so... :/

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragu4 View Post
    I have a hard time with wasting things I buy. So to design content, then just let it sit there for eternity make you kinda feel bad for the designers and the players? Granted, in WoW, it's most dangerous enemy is nostalgia, but still, I can't believe they haven't coded a scaling for these raids and dungeons. It just feels odd that there is SO MUCH more for newer players to see, and granted you can speed run through it at level cap, but wouldn't be great to actually fight C'thun with new abilities and skill, or spend 13 years walking through Ulduar again? IDK, maybe it's my own nostalgia that keeps me from playing anymore, but if you want to see that 10 million subscriber mark again and swim in even more money, that's a guarantee. Or not.
    After doing that same thing for a couple months. No I'm more than happy to let it sit there. I have already completed it and don't really want to repeat it anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice thing about achievements. They come with dates on them

Deleted
    Hmmm, check your pants, you may have crit yourself. It happened to me not 2 minutes ago. I was watching an old Samurai Pizza Cat's commercial and got too excited at the part with the thing and the dohicky.
    Guess it's my not-Jew blood that makes me sad seeing hard werk go to waste. Ah well, there's always private servers.
    You are also Satan with 666 posts, please go back to Saddam in Hell and lube up next time, I think your a bit chaffed.
    are you for real? can someone ban this fool already?

hey guys lets change some old content!

*nethergarde keep explodes in the distance, Watch Commander Relthorn Netherwane and Warlord Dar'toon (who've been around since TBC) fall over dead beside us*

....oh damn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Nice thing about achievements. They come with dates on them
    Yep, and none of it matters to most people. I think I personally became more anti-solo old shit, when my Monk for the offhand (to complete the set) on only her 11th clear of Black Temple. I took pictures, was all happy. and after 20 minutes, texts etc I'm like... this feels so wrong.

Still got my IC 25 mount etc after that, mounted it once and was like "this is neat" and dismounted, hopped back on my Serp. /shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it doesn't.
    What makes me sad is content that should be scaled (Wintergrasp, Tol Barad) as to never get old. Raids aren't the case.

Deleted
    To an extent they have already done this. I mean, just look at all the dungeons that they brought back like Scholomance, Stratholme, Zul'Gurub etc. In addition to that, they have given players an incentive to revisit old dungeons for transmogification, and made them more accessible during the leveling process.

I do not really feel the content is just sitting there. Millions of players have been going through it for years before the game moved on. You could argue that compared to most games, content created in WoW sees a lot more use and is played by a lot more players. Even if they only play it for one expansion.

old content is old content. Completing something when it was relevant is its own reward at the time.

It was the journey and the final success at the time that was important. At The Time.

We don't go back to old successes cause we grow past them and seek new things. If change doesn't occur then that accomplishment is meaningless.

Its in the past, we move on. That's all there is. Nothing reduces the relevance of it just cause people can do it later.

This is why inventors are remembered. This is why people who do stuff for the first time are remembered. This is why companies who come out with something innovative or movie makers who make a brilliant new concept are remembered.

Cause everyone else who follows, who copies that movie concept to the point it becomes old hat, that uses that invention in different ways, who do that same stuff after its been figured out how to do it...When that stuff becomes old hat and easy. They don't get prestige. They're just doing stuff that's easy and old now. Not fought for, freshly realized, freshly discovered and just plain new.

After playing GW2 this is what I was thinking about wow. Wow has 10 years worth of content, is huge, is what every other developer could dream of...and yet we are all tunneled into the the last 3 month patch...it is sad indeed. I was hoping that in the new expansion developers will add a scaling system as the "new feature".

One of the problems a scale content can bring is that people will spread too much around the big world of Warcraft. But this have been solved with the CRZ system and now by merging servers together..Imaginee you que for a dungeon and anything can pop up! Imagine no more grey quests while leveling, no more outleveled zones because you just joined a dungeon and a BG and you got 2 levels inside there...no more problem leveling with a friend without being in the actual same level..

so much content, so much potential...
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.