Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcries View Post
    If Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot could do it, I don't see why any other atheist couldn't make it to any office.
    So what you're saying is: every atheist is just a genocidal dictator in waiting?

If that's not what you actually think, kindly never bring up this dumbass comparison again.

Deleted
    Well it's no problem in "the rest of the world", so eventually it will probably happen. Though the ones getting presidency won't admit it anyway.

Tbh I always laugh at American speeches, you just have to shout USA and act as if God chose your country for some reason. It wins votes.

Tbh I wonder how religious a man like Obama really is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Kinda disgusting that people are so sure it wouldn't happen any time soon. What does religion have to do with politics? Nothing. And it should stay that way.
    It wasn't that long ago since religion = politics : /

Since america is highly religious I'd say it will take a while. They did elect a black president which, a few years back, would be unthinkable. So yeah it is very possible sometime in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Kinda disgusting that people are so sure it wouldn't happen any time soon. What does religion have to do with politics? Nothing. And it should stay that way.
    Politics deals directly with people. In democracies (and republics), policies reflect (theoretically) the will of the people. If the majority of the voters are religious and use take their religion into the voting booths then religion plays a big part in politics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why does it have to be a Democrat? Why couldn't an Atheist Republican or Libertarian be elected?

Chelly
    Quote Originally Posted by simsumre View Post
    Why does it have to be a Democrat? Why couldn't an Atheist Republican or Libertarian be elected?
    Because the Republican party has basically become THE party for christian voters. The party (and most of the voters) pretty much hate atheists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Esdese View Post
    Because the Republican party has basically become THE party for christian voters. The party (and most of the voters) pretty much hate atheists.
    That's not even close to being true though. The only Republicans that really push that idea is Fox News... and even then, it's still a small group. I mean, I'm a registered Republican and I'm not religious in the least. That doesn't mean I'm an atheist either, I simply don't subscribe to scripture written by man. That also doesn't mean that I need to automatically go and register myself as a Democrat.

It's like saying the Democratic party has become THE party to ban guns. It's very possible that we do see someone who isn't religious in office, I just don't understand why it needs to be a Democrat.

That's not even close to being true though. The only Republicans that really push that idea is Fox News... and even then, it's still a small group.
    mhm. Sure, you can probably make a case for that. On the other hand:
    http://youtu.be/MCjANzA40xc?t=40s

Even Democrats have to at least make a show of their faith so as not to completely alienate religious voters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    mhm. Sure, you can probably make a case for that. On the other hand:
    http://youtu.be/MCjANzA40xc?t=40s

Even Democrats have to at least make a show of their faith so as not to completely alienate religious voters.
    I open link and see.. HIM. Mr. Christian that worships Israel. No need to even watch the rest, point taken. That guy should never be elected again.

That's not even close to being true though. The only Republicans that really push that idea is Fox News... and even then, it's still a small group. I mean, I'm a registered Republican and I'm not religious in the least. That doesn't mean I'm an atheist either, I simply don't subscribe to scripture written by man. That also doesn't mean that I need to automatically go and register myself as a Democrat.

It's like saying the Democratic party has become THE party to ban guns. It's very possible that we do see someone who isn't religious in office, I just don't understand why it needs to be a Democrat.
    RINO's can vote and are welcome to the party. RINO's can't survive the presidential primaries though. There is a difference between supporting a party and getting it's blessing to the be the "most powerful person in the world for 4 years".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherkeith View Post
    As far as I know there is no religious constraints on the presidency. So the answer is or should be yes, yes an atheist could win the presidency. Really should be areligious to be in politics or at the very least not publicly religious.

There doesn't seem to be any real rules as far as who can be president. Obama occupying the white house proves that you can be a non-christian to win the presidency. Not only can you be a non-christain (muslim) but you don't even have to be a citizen of the United States anymore. {{shrug}}
    Uh, but he's both a Christian and a US Citizen . .

Or are you one of those people?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Like this everyone always loves to list 3 guys who did shitty things and just happened to be atheist. I mean it's not like we could begin to scratch the surface compared to all the people who did shitty things in the name of religion.
    We should pick three evil Christians and start claiming that all of Christianity behaves like those three. Its the same logic. If it works for them, it works for us right? What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
    Putin khuliyo

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovechile View Post
    As a fairly open-minded, accepting, educated, yet devoutly religious Southerner, I can add a little insight to that -- It confuses me as to how anyone could look at all the things that had to line up JUST RIGHT for life to even exist on our planet, much less evolve into the thinking -- feeling -- beings that we are, and just shrug their shoulder and go "eh, it was just all chance." How can you NOT look at our beautiful planet, and not feel that SOME divine being had some hand in it?
    Edit for another point -- I'm also confused at how you can feel love, hate, anger, pain, any emotion really...look into your lover's eyes, see their true self...see innocence in a child's eyes...and feel like humans don't have souls, that we die, the end, no more, goodbye. I don't hate on it...I just REALLY don't understand how someone could feel like that.
    A lot of things can happen in 4.5 billion years.

If you're very open minded, watch episode 2 of the new Cosmos series. It explains exactly how life evolved on earth (and hopefully elsewhere).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    .....keep this garbage to yourself, I would ask for proff but I know you don't have any just random rhetoric talking points. If any thing is more a Unitarianism or even closet atheist not muslim
    He is obviously a Muslim. Here is your proof:

Disclaimer: Joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Still, even if you ignore the that, the hijab is a serious safety concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    So what? If I got to decide I'd take Stalin's path regarding religion.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Most religious people have the false impression atheists have no morals and do whatever they want.
    When in reality, only people who don't believe in god are moral.

Everybody else is chasing the carrot and trying to avoid the stick to one degree or another.

1) Do all these things or I'll burn you for eternity.
    2) Does all the things to avoid being burned for eternity.
    3) ???
    4) Morality!

Deleted
    Could an American Atheist ever bring shit up without spewing off religion?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BLCalliente View Post
    When in reality, only people who don't believe in god are moral.

Everybody else is chasing the carrot and trying to avoid the stick to one degree or another.

1) Do all these things or I'll burn you for eternity.
    2) Does all the things to avoid being burned for eternity.
    3) ???
    4) Morality!
    Are you 12? You can't deny their opinion of atheists and morals as a stereotype and then spout out another stereotype.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post

Are you 12? You can't deny their opinion of atheists and morals as a stereotype and then spout out another stereotype.
    What stereotype did I spout?

Which situation more clearly demonstrates a moral choice?

A) Somebody really pisses you off. You don't kill them because killing is wrong.

B) Somebody really pisses you off. You don't kill them because you're afraid of burning for eternity, and also because you were told if you don't ever kill anyone you get to have eternal bliss, see all your dead relatives, bask in the radiance of your maker, and learn all the secrets of the universe.

One is somebody behaving morally, and the other is someone being bribed and threatened.

Deleted

A) Somebody really pisses you off. You don't kill them because killing is wrong.

B) Somebody really pisses you off. You don't kill them because you're afraid of burning for eternity, and also because you were told if you don't ever kill anyone you get to have eternal bliss, see all your dead relatives, bask in the radiance of your maker, and learn all the secrets of the universe.

One is somebody behaving morally, and the other is someone being bribed and threatened.
    You spout off another stereotype again and then wonder what the hell you're doing?

You firstly assume every religion is Catholic, I have no idea why. And secondly you assume every single action is done because of fear of some potential after death doom.

Tell me exactly, Was Saint Francis going around the world doing all those good deeds because he was afraid of some Divine punishment? Was he driven by greed of his own soul?

Would Saint Francis been a better man if he was an Atheist? You try to talk about moral choices and how mature you are than religious people yet your assuming they're all crazy folk and using petty minded bigotry just like you assume they do.

THAT is why I call you a 12 year old.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    If you broaden it up to the carrot simply being how good it feels to believe in a deity and an afterlife and the stick to how bad it feels to think about dying being the actual end and the lack of objective purpose to life, I do think you could easily support that being true in a majority of cases.
    Then your a mumbling dumbass who likes to make assumptions about people for the hell of it.

This isn't the middle ages, not everywhere is bumbfuck Missisippi where everyone is afraid of god, and Quite frankly, as an Atheist myself I find this sudden inclination that theism is some kind of damning hatred that must be expunged because of my own personal beliefs is downright horrible.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2014-04-10 at 04:00 PM.

Deleted
    I'm not sure what you're talking about. I'm talking about a subtle influence on rational thought that leads people to be more likely to believe in a deity than not and, at least from personal experience, could easily support the claim as being true in my own life.
    You take the stance an immature Anti-theist does in assuming that Religion is a polarizing effect on a "Majority" of people and not simply a source of role models and influence.

Where do you get your Morals from?

Chelly

You do realize A applies to religious people too, right?

Deleted
    I'm a nihilist.

I didn't make a claim as to why people were originally religious. I'm talking about why people remain religious even after considering atheism. In my experience, there is a clear pattern of two things that result in them rejecting atheism: incredulity and fear of purposelessness. I think you're being a little too angry with the other guy to treat what I said with fair consideration.
    You "assumed" people stay religious purely due to some imaginary lump of cheese hung in front of them that they get if they remain religious. You said this was for a "Majority"

What I am saying and you so deftly avoiding is making assumptions about every single religious person like that is downright stupid and close minded.

Also Nihilism isn't a theological stance.

You really are shaping up to be my utter Antithesis in your clumsy staggering Philosophical stances.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Esdese View Post
    You do realize A applies to religious people too, right?
    He's your typical Internet Anti-theist. Do you really think he knows anything about religion apart from some people are nasty under it!