Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    Deleted

100 US Marines vs 5000 Alliance soldiers

100 modern day fully-equipped US Marines (without heavy armor, air support, nukes, etc.)

vs.

5000 fully-equipped WoW era Alliance Military (not players). So mostly regular infantry, marksmen, cavalry, mages and healers. Occasional other classes.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The battle would take place in mountains. Marines have the first move.

GAME MECHANICS DO NOT APPLY.
    Bullets kill just like in real life. Healers can heal non-fatal gun wounds, but they can't just stand in place and spam holy light, making anyone who doesn't instantly die invulnerable. Reviving is impossible. Rogues can't magically go invisible in the middle of desert. There are no levels or damage points. 40yd range limit is gone, etc.

Magic users are not omnipotent demigods. They can't just make themselves invulnerable or kill all the marines with a single spell. They're just regular Alliance footmages capable of casting Fireballs, Firebolts, some simple AoE and utility spells.

Who wins?
    Last edited by mmoca7431c090a; 2014-04-09 at 09:20 PM.

Alliance Military. Probably with ridiculous ease. Might want to peel back on the numbers a bit. 5000 vs 100 is incredibly lopsided.

10+ Year Old Account
    What the fuck is a "simple" AoE spell?
    Any sort of AoE spell would probably be disastrous for anyone.

Also, Bulwark of Azzinoth... If you mean to tell me bullets could go through that, you're crazy.
    And even though it's reached new heights, I rather like the restless nights. It makes me wonder, makes me think there's more to this, I'm on the brink. It's not the fear of what's beyond, it's just that I might not respond! I have an interest, almost craving, would I like to get to far in?!

this makes me think of that one battle between the spanish and the Aztecs/ sorry whatever other native group they wiped out, that had a handful of men (Spaniards) up against an entire army and the spanish pretty much moped the floor with them. I feel the same would apply here. sure magic is the one thing that nullifies the tech gap but lord know what nasty shit the marines can utilize. I agree with Jellmoo though the numbers are way too lopsided.

Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    What the fuck is a "simple" AoE spell?
    Any sort of AoE spell would probably be disastrous for anyone.

Also, Bulwark of Azzinoth... If you mean to tell me bullets could go through that, you're crazy.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Quote Originally Posted by panalfik View Post
    Magic users are not omnipotent demigods. They can't just make themselves invulnerable or kill all the marines with a single spell. They're just regular Alliance footmages capable of casting Fireballs, Firebolts, some simple AoE and utility spells.

Who wins?
    Actually magic users are fairly ridicuously powerful but they have been heavily downplayed for gameplay and balance purposes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I'm fairly certain Bulwark isn't steel and is also magically enchanted
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    Warcraft material science far outstrips steel. You are also discounting magical enchantments.

As to the thread? Alliance I think, they have the advantage of magical equipment, healers and outright magic artillery. They are also no strangers to automatic fire.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I recall this thread.

It would depend on the amount of casters. but gotta go with the marines.

They got no healers...

we've had this thread before

10+ Year Old Account
    Outnumbered 50 to 1 with magic against them? Not a chance for the marines.

Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post
    They got no healers...
    Marines always have Corpsmans with them.. ALWAYS

Quote Originally Posted by panalfik View Post
    The battle would take place in mountains. Marines have the first move.

GAME MECHANICS DO NOT APPLY.
    All game mechanics are gone, but it's turn based??

Well, in that case, the marines down ~1500 allies in their first turn (30 rounds per clip, 2 rounds per target, 30/2x100=1500. 900 rounds/min = 37.5 rounds per fireball 2.5 seconds). If most of those first 1500 allies killed were their ranged, the allie's melee gap close for a turn or 3 until the marines finish them off.

Yay turn based!!

Deleted
    Depends who'd be aggresive/defensive. If the marines could take defensive positions, force them into bottlenecks and pick them off with superior range, they could do some real damage. If they're forced into anything close to open combat, no chance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Grenades. /10char

We're talking 50-1 here. With the ability to rain down fire and ice with the wave of a hand, the mages are pretty much the biggest problem. The other issue is that every shot that isn't a kill shot, results in a healer healing that soldier, who then rejoins the fray.

Now, things may change if the makeup of the marines consists of more than just infantrymen. If they have mortar of their own, machine guns, access to explosives, that sort of thing...

Still, at the end of the day, 50-1 odds are pretty hard to overcome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Im pretty sure that alliance (and all its oil) would be liberated in no time.

Why do the alliance get all the healers and mages and stuff but the marines can't call in an airstrike? Its fairly lopsided. Also a run of the mill alliance soldier isnt going to be carrying the bulwark of azzinoth. Thats kinda reserved for PCs

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What's the point of this if game mechanics don't apply? "We'll have mages, but they suck, and rogues are just guys with a knife". Without game mechanics this isn't a real test of Alliance vs Marines. It might as well be characters from a different game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    Warcraft material science far outstrips steel. You are also discounting magical enchantments.

As to the thread? Alliance I think, they have the advantage of magical equipment, healers and outright magic artillery. They are also no strangers to automatic fire.
    That shield is still susceptible to durability damage! Okay, fine! I admit defeat....

If this does not work!!!
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.