6/14H 565 prot warrior DPS.

I've read articles about going crit build instead of parry/dodge for protection, but never really considered it. Our guardian druid averages 300k dps on several encounters, Heroic Protectors, and Normal Garrosh come to mind.

My prot warrior is averaging around 160k dps. I wouldn't mind putting out more dps as a prot warrior, aside from keeping shield slam, revenge on cool down, and using devastate to get shield slam/devistate procs, I'm not sure how to generate more damage. I guess I could not shield as much and put that rage into heroic strike or cleave... (for non progression fights).

Tips/Thoughts on prot warrior dps maximization.

Deleted
    intervene/safeguard for vengeance on tauntswap fights (works on anything besides Malkorok)
    strength food/flask
    dps cloak (3-4% of my damage on cleave fights, but only for farm bosses!)
    thunderclap glyph and tracking deep wounds on other targets (probably the biggest dps increase)
    cleave trinket (6-7% of my damage on pure cleave fights like Galakras/Protectors)
    amplifiy trinket
    bloodbath+bladestorm, yes you can't do something else while whirling around but for aoe it's super strong

You should look at other warriors at warcraftlogs/worldoflogs with similar fightlengths, not at your co-tank of another class.
    Last edited by mmoc9d5efa7d44; 2014-04-09 at 09:59 PM.

Deleted
    Pretty sure Parry/Dodge builds are more DPS when tanking. You're never going to compete with a Guardian Druid or a Brewmaster Monk on DPS purely because they both use an offensive stat in their defensive priority, whereas if you were to gem full Crit you'd lose a shit tonne of mitigation and give your healers heart attacks.

DPS Trinkets such as Thoks help a lot, Refreshing Deep Wounds with Skeers at high stacks works very well, along with timing your Shield Slams around that.

I guess if you're Off-Tanking the entire time (IE: Never actually having aggro), you can go for a Crit build, but if you're actually holding aggro on the boss a Parry/Dodge build is far better for damage, you just have to subtitute Cloaks/Meta Gems/Trinkets and ...well kinda cheese shit a bit.

Hard to give insight without logs. Timing shield slams around when shield block is active (heavy repercussions glyph) will net you more damage thank heroic strike spam, if I'm not mistaken. Also, take glyph of incite. 3 free heroic strikes/cleaves every minute is nice. Just play like a dps, really. Go hard for dps, be a vengeance whore, safeguard for vengeance, stand in stuff, etc. (this is, ofc, if you really care about dmg) - obviously, don't do these things if its going to endanger your life, but theres nothing wrong with giving your healers a heads up that you're gonna be taking damage and making them work a little. <- obviously do these things on farm bosses, not progression.

Deleted
    As the rest said:
    -Keep vengeance/riposte up while off tanking (assuming tank swaps)
    -keep block up for GoHR and dont spam hs unless you cap rage (unlikely)
    You dont need any dps trinket etc to do similar or more dps than other class tanks atm for single target, aoe is another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by klausistklaus View Post
    You should look at other warriors at warcraftlogs/worldoflogs with similar fightlengths, not at your co-tank of another class.
    While this is generally true for all specs, on this tier he can easily compare what he does with his druid co-tank. Both war and druid and are the highest single target tank-dps atm. So if he's doing half his dps , he either is considerably undergeared (which can't tell without armory links) than his co-tank or he is doing it wrong and need go to work on all the suggestions already given.

Deleted
    - go for riposte build until around 40%+ parry 13% dodge. thats enough for all HC encounters.
    - reforge: hit>exp>crit>parry>dodge
    - gem: red: exp/crit, blue: crit/hit, yellow: crit. Dont pick up stamina and str bonuses. STR sucks and go for Stamina only if you dont feel comfortable.
    - enchants: boots: +175 hit, gloves: 170 exp, bracers: 170 dodge, breast: 80 stats, cloak: 170 crit, weapon: rivers song, shield: parry
    - if you feel comfortable change trousers and shoulder enchants to dps
    - dont use dps meta gem. tested it. it sucks most of the time.
    - glyphs: HGoR, GoHtL, GoRP (multi target fights) Glyphe of 120 Rage (on single target)
    - trinkets: thoks tail tip+klaxxies dps (str+crit proc).
    - time execute phase with CDs (reck+crit banner) well (on single target fights)!
    - keep SB up before SS!
    - use HS/Cleave only on Ultimatum procs. dont bother with dumping rage into HS/Cleave. it does no dmg compared to the value of AM.
    - use intervene when off tanking to keep vengeance up

makro BS/BB with recklessness, crit banner, pot, trinket, zerker Rage OR DR/BB with the latter
    - use DR/BB makro on CD on single target fights OR time it with your vengence
    - use BS/BB makro on trash heavy fights

- make some Weak Auras so you can follow the uptime of enrage & SB

Prio:
    - single target fights: SS>Revenge>Devestate
    - multi target fights: TC>Revenge>SS>Devestate

speak with your RL about your encounter strategics to make better use of the vegeance mechanic.

Prot Warriors are beasts. Best DPS tanks right now. I lead most of the fights in DMG output/DPS.
    Last edited by mmoc51b1e9c51e; 2014-04-13 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtwo View Post
    Pretty sure Parry/Dodge builds are more DPS when tanking. You're never going to compete with a Guardian Druid or a Brewmaster Monk on DPS purely because they both use an offensive stat in their defensive priority, whereas if you were to gem full Crit you'd lose a shit tonne of mitigation and give your healers heart attacks.
    I guess you can then explain how nearly every fight on Warcraftlogs is dominated by Prot Warriors in DPS from the Tanks.

Namely these fights where you get high Vengeance:
    Iron Juggernaut (22 Warrs in top 50)
    Malkorok (20 Warrs in top 50)
    Thok (18 Warrs in top 50)
    Siegecrafter (40 Warrs in top 50)
    Garrosh (28 Warrs in top 50)

Surprisingly for you, in these fights, BrM Monks are nowhere to be seen. I won't include Klaxxi because that is a fight mechanic, not class related.

Deleted
    Sorry but cheesing vengeance half a year into a tier with an absorbion active mitigation is clearly superior to any reactive healing active mitigation the other tanks could prodive, looking through the top rankings sadly proves or disproves nothing on this regard.