ele shaman poor dps?

Hi guys,
    I have an ele shaman that does poor dps in comparison with other classes with a similar ilvl when in raid.
    I have elementarist add on for rotation, also askmrrobot to have advice on reforges and I am pushing hard to get that dps higher.
    Maybe I am doing something wrong there.
    I am wondering if I can get some advice on what else needs to be done, the toon name is Hayyia, on Khaz'goroth, US realm, please inspect and I am waiting on some helpful replies.
    Thank you

What is your ilevel?

Your spec?

What is your exact rotation?

Spec is Elemental, rotation, elemental fire, flame shock, elemental blast, lightening bolt, ascendance, lava burst, lava burst etc till ascendance is up, searing totem, then elemental blast when available, lightening bolt and pretty much all this actions when available when advised by the elementarist add on.

- - - Updated - - -

Item level 562

Flame shock, lava burst, elemental blast, earth shock, Ascendence, etc. Looks like you got the rotation.

Next on the troubleshooting checklist is the extent of which you use your totems. They will do roughly 25% to half your damage in a fight. Make sure that they aren't destroyed the moment the pop out, are proper up behind the mob, and that you use them at every a viable cooldown. If your totem DPS is too low, you may want to consider switching to Primal Elementalist for a DPS boost.

lastly, make sure your gear is optimized according to your spec. You can check noxxic's guides on your spec and see what gems, enchants, reforges, etc that they recommend.

One of the things I see when looking at your armory profile is that you're 3.35% over hit cap. This does make a pretty big difference seeing as how hit over cap is useless - you want more gear with haste/mastery and less with crit/spirit. I would also lose glyph of fire elemental, and go unleashed elements on more fights.

Also, totem damage is more or less around 5% of your damage done even with primal elementalist. It is more important to see logs so that we can see if you have optimal potion/cd usage and have relatively good uptime on flame shock. Outside of situations where you have >3 targets, Lava Burst should be used whenever available, unless you need to refresh flame shock.

In a vacuum (assuming 100% equal skill and gear) elemental shaman is one of the poorest performing specs as far as DPS goes. Fortunately you have a fuckton of raid utility and still have value.

Deleted
    They will do roughly 25% to half your damage in a fight.
    I lol'd. Totems aren't even close to that number.

Thank you guys,
    I am looking to change the gear that have hit as base stat but that is not an easy thing at times. It's sad to see that ele shamy apart from being raid useful has a low dps, I looked at Garrosh fight where s required a lot of movement and there was a lock, mage, hunter and I of course last dps spot on recount as range dmg.
    Not sure of the total dmg of the totems but elementarist is pretty good of telling me when I need to put it down.
    Did some dummy dps with Primal Elementarist (about205k) and with Echo of the Elements and so far I am standing about 220K dps, but like I said the others are way higher in boss encouters. Looks like I have to do some gear changes and to accept the fact that such is life...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormstrîke View Post
    I lol'd. Totems aren't even close to that number.
    Thank you Storm, I can only dream to have that gear, sure is with hard work but how is your dps in comparison with other raid range players?

Blizz really dicked us far as loot of ordos. I don't do him anymore as his loot sucks for us for most part. Hell seems tier pieces are better options than that stuff. So much damn spirit!it sucks with bad rng my ele shaman is sitting at 7% over hit cap but nothing I can do about it right now

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sosleapy View Post
    Blizz really dicked us far as loot of ordos. I don't do him anymore as his loot sucks for us for most part. Hell seems tier pieces are better options than that stuff. So much damn spirit!it sucks with bad rng my ele shaman is sitting at 7% over hit cap but nothing I can do about it right now
    I completely agree. I made that argument before and people made fun, but when you are already over hit cap and you get even more spirit gear...

that is true, very hard to find gear that is relevant to us in special Ordos

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sosleapy View Post
    SoO gear isn't any better, literally all of it is spirit/crit. It's all worthless for ele.
    Heroic Thunderforged 541 gear with haste/mastery, 4x T16 and heroic SoO trinkets/weapon is the only way to properly gear an ele shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by hayyia View Post
    I have an ele shaman that does poor dps in comparison with other classes with a similar ilvl when in raid.
    I have elementarist add on for rotation, also askmrrobot to have advice on reforges and I am pushing hard to get that dps higher.
    The best place to start is with a solid guide: make sure you are generally following those. The MMO-Champ guide is probably good though I can't vouch for it. icy-veins.com is my usual goto for any class guide I need.

You mentioned using an addon for rotation, which isn't a terrible way to get to the 80 percent mark; I also recommend Bitten's SpellFlash: Shaman as a good choice for the same job -- mostly because the author works very hard to keep that rotation up to date with current theorycrafting across all the classes. You could try switching across and see if that improves; it could be that the rotation recommendation isn't current.

The other thing is, of course, that there isn't really a rotation any more, so much as a priority list, and those priorities change when you have to, eg, move a lot, or have a burst phase coming up, or any number of other conditions. You might get 80 percent with an addon, but you will never get top tier DPS without knowing when to step away from the pre-set rotation and focus on something else. (AoE fights being one key, and common, example.)

You also mention AMR for reforging, etc. That is a good start, but I infer that you are not in heroic SoO gear yet -- so you probably want to go and use SimCraft to generate stat weights for yourself. (The author of Bitten's SpellFlash posts SimC rotations for his addon priority list, btw, if you go down that path.) In less than optimal gear the default weights can be quite inaccurate -- frequently you will find that AMR (*OR ANY OTHER REFORGE TOOL*) will give you the mathematically optimal values for gear you don't have, and they will actually work kinda badly for your actual gear.

(NOTE: This is not a problem with AMR, this is a problem with using the wrong stat weights. Nothing in the universe can do better than AMR does, except by having default values that happen to be closer to whatever your actual values are, which ... is unlikely to be a thing.)

Beyond that, your best bet is to get logs up on somewhere like World of Logs or Warcraft Logs, then go post in the "Fix my DPS" thread in the Shaman class forum here. With the link to the logs they will have the information they need to actively help you spot, eg, problem spots in your rotation, etc. We kind of can't.

Thank you Slippy,
    I forgot about Bitten SpellFlash, I do have it too, maybe one of the first addons that I've installed, that is that one that buttons light up or flash when next spell is available.
    I am using that in combination with elementarist to monitor the totems. Regarding priorities I am trying my best but not always works with the procs of the 4 tier set, the cloak and the trinkets. I do manage to work with the ones that I have control over like ascendance, lava burst, hero and the 4000 int potion.
    I will visit icyveins to see what is there.
    Thanks once again