Page 37 of 54 FirstFirst ...
27
35
36
37
38
39
47
... LastLast
  1. #721
    I am Murloc! zephid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Aratra View Post
    You really don't think it's insulting to suggest 50% of Nigerian girls aren't smart enough to just run away? If only you were there to tell them that all of their problems could be solved if they hop on a bus.
    It's "only" 20% nationwide not 50%, and no I don't think it's insulting since it's true.

  2. #722
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryade View Post
    What the fuck is social expectations? Sexual double standards? How are you represented in the media? How do you not have access to reproductive health care?
    Reproductive healthcare: Example - In many southern states it is virtually impossible (or even illegal in some countries) to get an abortion. Abortion clinics are few and far between, and there are areas of America where you have to travel several hundreds of miles in order to get an abortion

    Representation in the media: Example - There are several tropes that exist in popular culture that show women in a throughly negative way. Things like the 'damsel in distress' which reinforces the idea that women are helpless and useless and require a man to come and save them are repeated regularly throughout many forms of media including video games, movies, tv shows, books, and so on, with far more regularity than can be explained by randomness. Also, things like statistics on films that pass the Bechdel test (i.e a film or show or book etc that contains two women who talk about something other than a man - a pretty low standard to pass) show that virtually all our media is male centered and focuses on the glorification of men.

    Sexual double standards - http://www.thelocal.se/20140204/one-...rform-sex-acts (thanks Mooneye for the link)

    Social expectations - women are expected to stay home look after kids, play the housewife etc to prop up a society where men are free to persue their goals. This is often at the expense of what women want. They are seen as uncaring if they do not want to 'stay home with the kids' in many cases.

  3. #723
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    No, it doesn't.
    I believe it does. From all the responses here, people seem eager to just kill the guy if they were put in that situation, but how many stories like that do you read about out of the hundreds of thousands of marriages of this form? It's easy to assume that's what you would do but there are other factors in play when you consider killing someone.

    I feel like the only absolute rule to that is if you feel your life is in danger. That is a farcry from her situation I would say however. This is of course from random reading in the day about the mind of a killer, but I really think that if it was really that easy to just up and kill someone (and let's face it, most of us have had that thought for a particular person at some point), deaths wouldn't be a news article every god damn other day.

  4. #724
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffHast View Post
    Yeah, it does.
    No, you see, people kill other people all the time, without having mental issues.

  5. #725
    Highly supportive of part of this, but I feel bad for the "buddies" involved, youd hate to show up to a friend's barbecue that you're trying to catch up with then die eating rat poison. The husband's stake in this was pretty clear though.

    She was effectively being held against her will. Also she was married, which in any rational part of the world makes you a legal decision maker for yourself. He, by hardly a stretch of the imagination, was kidnapping her.

  6. #726
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by babo7000 View Post
    Some people here... Wow.

    Run away to another country? Find another way to avoid this? I would like people to give a reasonable option she had to escape this. Go on, find one. That's right, there isn't. She can't appeal to her government, and she can't go posting bullshit online to get people to rally behind her. So what, she is supposed to physically run away? In a country that ALLOWS this kind of stuff in the first place? Where will she run to, when so much people share the same beliefs.

    Murder is never good, and as seen by some of the responses in this thread, it never makes some right. But at least she tried. At least she did something to try to escape the life she was being forced into, even if it may have made everything worse. But look, in one day, we have a 30+ page on the topic. We heed to talk about this, we need to argue this, because it sheds light on an issue that needs fixing.

    Despite what we may feel, those men too were innocent. They weren't victims of a girl, however, they are a victims of a backwards culture that can scare a 10 year old girl so much that she has to kill. It breeds a generation of men that are violent and feel they are entitled to anything they want, and a generation of women who are so scared and scarred they can take a life. Honestly, what a bullshit situation those people are stuck in.
    Bold part: See OP post. They have laws banning it! The fact they do nothing about it is a different issue.
    Girl also wasnt 10. she was 14
    If anything what happened more perpetuates the issue of violence on both ends as people become more worried about their own "safety"

  7. #727
    I am Murloc! Lord Pebbleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pebbleton Family Castle.
    Posts
    5,150
    I'm against murder, but I really can see her reasons and I admire that someone stands up against the crap they're being fed.

  8. #728
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Well it's insulting to suggest that all Nigerian girls are unhappy with the marriage culture there and getting forcibly married is a reason to murder people.
    It was self-defense. She was defending herself against a lifetime of sex slavery, of rape. Also, considering that bearing children as a child is the leading cause of death for girls there, you can even say she was defending her life itself.

  9. #729
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Yeah, people celebrating that she was forcefully married have nothing to do with it, at all.
    What makes you think they even knew anything about her situation? They may not have even known her age, given that it doesn't actually matter where they were. People are acting like guy sent out an invite saying, "come celebrate my imminent rape of this child who was forced into a marriage with me." For all we know, the guests only knew that a buddy had gotten married and that it was arranged (if they even knew that).

  10. #730
    I am Murloc! zephid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    No, you see people kill other people all the time, without having mental issues.
    We do? I'm not so sure.

  11. #731
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnrage View Post
    , but I really think that if it was really that easy to just up and kill someone (and let's face it, most of us have had that thought for a particular person at some point), deaths wouldn't be a news article every god damn other day.
    It may not be easy to up and kill somebody, however that just goes to show either how dire this girl's situation actually was that she did it to get out of the marriage.

  12. #732
    Immortal Frozen Death Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Forsaken Lands of Sweden
    Posts
    7,208
    I'm not really cheering for her for murdering them, but I can understand why she would do it. She didn't have much choice in the matter, considering her country of origin.

  13. #733
    Quote Originally Posted by Bervose View Post
    It may not be easy to up and kill somebody, however that just goes to show either how dire this girl's situation actually was that she did it to get out of the marriage.
    And there's plenty of other girls who, dare I say, are probably in worse situations than her, considering about 70-80%? of Nigerian girls are married off before the age of 19, who have not done the same. Doesn't that tell you something?

  14. #734
    I am Murloc! zephid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    I'm not really cheering for her for murdering them, but I can understand why she would do it. She didn't have much choice in the matter, considering her country of origin.
    It's not the entire country, it's mostly just the northern part.

  15. #735
    An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind? :/

    I agree that the situation is fucked up but I don't think that what she did was justified either. There's really no way to give a decent comment on something like this to be fair. Best thing that can be done is prevent situations like this from arising in the first place. I don't think the "child bride" (14 Y/O is not a child, still fucked up though) could ever go on to lead a normal life. It's not on a whim that you get the guts to murder a series of people. I doubt she'd ever fit into society again, so it's either spending years in jail (what does that even help) or death... It's a sad story with a sad ending. I really don't see any sane person letting her go free, the mental damage is already done, I really doubt there is any going back from that point.

  16. #736
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Reproductive healthcare: Example - In many southern states it is virtually impossible (or even illegal in some countries) to get an abortion. Abortion clinics are few and far between, and there are areas of America where you have to travel several hundreds of miles in order to get an abortion

    Representation in the media: Example - There are several tropes that exist in popular culture that show women in a throughly negative way. Things like the 'damsel in distress' which reinforces the idea that women are helpless and useless and require a man to come and save them are repeated regularly throughout many forms of media including video games, movies, tv shows, books, and so on, with far more regularity than can be explained by randomness. Also, things like statistics on films that pass the Bechdel test (i.e a film or show or book etc that contains two women who talk about something other than a man - a pretty low standard to pass) show that virtually all our media is male centered and focuses on the glorification of men.

    Sexual double standards - http://www.thelocal.se/20140204/one-...rform-sex-acts (thanks Mooneye for the link)

    Social expectations - women are expected to stay home look after kids, play the housewife etc to prop up a society where men are free to persue their goals. This is often at the expense of what women want. They are seen as uncaring if they do not want to 'stay home with the kids' in many cases.
    If men were given the same quota of maternity leave that women get this would completely fucking vanish. Not to mention the stigma women have towards men with young children. Such as me taking my baby niece to a swimming lesson to be greeted with disgust by all the other mums because how dare i be a man.

    Virtually impossible vs illegal. Its still possible.
    You also cannot blame men for religious bullshit reasons preventing abortions.

    Your media representation is bogus. Media is designed to entertain not pander to politically correct ideals. Maybe you should have an argument with your own mother as to why she bought you barbie dolls as a child rather than cars too. Or why its seen as abnormal for a little boy to have a barbie doll.

    The link doesn't exactly prove your point either. Especially considering more males than females (as a %) will avoid reporting an issue of such nature due to the risk of not being taken seriously. afterall how can a man be raped or abused. he is a man and she is a woman blah blah

  17. #737
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    We do? I'm not so sure.
    Then you're pretty ignorant of the state of the world. There's more that happens in the world than just the crazy people appearing on news with their extraordinary crimes, such as school shootings etc. Rarely do you see a widely covered report about the guy who hit someone with a glass bottle in the head so he suffered bleeding in the brain and died because of it, just because they got into a fight or argument when drunk. You'll see a small little text about that and then as soon as someone shoots at a school - worldwide coverage pretty much.

  18. #738
    I am Murloc! zephid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnrage View Post
    And there's plenty of other girls who, dare I say, are probably in worse situations than her, considering about 70-80%? of Nigerian girls are married off before the age of 19, who have not done the same. Doesn't that tell you something?
    That number is only true for the northern (muslim) part of the country.

  19. #739
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Well it's insulting to suggest that all Nigerian girls are unhappy with the marriage culture there and getting forcibly married is a reason to murder people.
    It was self-defense. She was defending herself against a lifetime of sex slavery, of rape. Also, considering that bearing children as a child is the leading cause of death for girls there, you can even say she was defending her life itself.

  20. #740
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    That number is only true for the northern (muslim) part of the country.
    Don't let facts get in the way of the argument though

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •