Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnrage View Post
    And there's plenty of other girls who, dare I say, are probably in worse situations than her, considering about 70-80%? of Nigerian girls are married off before the age of 19, who have not done the same. Doesn't that tell you something?
    That number is only true for the northern (muslim) part of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Well it's insulting to suggest that all Nigerian girls are unhappy with the marriage culture there and getting forcibly married is a reason to murder people.
    It was self-defense. She was defending herself against a lifetime of sex slavery, of rape. Also, considering that bearing children as a child is the leading cause of death for girls there, you can even say she was defending her life itself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    That number is only true for the northern (muslim) part of the country.
    Don't let facts get in the way of the argument though

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnrage View Post
    So by your analogy, a guy that goes to his school to shoot his bullies and in the process shoot up a bunch of kids who just happened to be there, but were also people that sat back and watch the bullying happen, is ok? I don't know what to say to that.

If you are going to tell me that the two situations are different, because this is a child getting raped and that is infinitely worse than people dying in your world, well, I won't know what to say to that either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aratra View Post
    If it's self-defense, it does.

Name any other means she had to defend herself from a lifetime of rape.
    You all are making good points here but the problems as I see is that is some unspoken rule that you must always follow certain-ceratain guideline in dealing with certain situations. Kill innocents as part of your rampage shows that your no different to the ones tormenting you. but I don't like the ways the forced marriage deal is being so closely compared to the shootings in America. Most of those who commit those shooting or either driven crazy by the bullies or are mentally Ill. But most they even the insane one had a choice and they chose to murder while there better alternatives to there problem.

The Girl in Nigeria However DID NOT have a choice and compared to most of the shooter who are older teenager/young adults(around 18-26+). She barely a teenager and even now. to imply that she did this out of deranged or malicious intent is preposterous. She was in far worse conditions that those crazy killer and what is there she could do? barely nothing. And to worse part is that talking as if she's a child serial killer is rather stupid

Killing self-defence from rape and murder is not a fucking crime. Implying it just means that your indirectly saying that women have no right to defence themselves, even if is a pre-emptive attack with 100% proof that i WILL happen if you don't take action

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Then you're pretty ignorant of the state of the world. There's more that happens in the world than just the crazy people appearing on news with their extraordinary crimes, such as school shootings etc. Rarely do you see a widely covered report about the guy who hit someone with a glass bottle in the head so he suffered bleeding in the brain and died because of it, just because they got into a fight or argument when drunk. You'll see a small little text about that and then as soon as someone shoots at a school - worldwide coverage pretty much.
    But that is different since he probably didn't mean to kill him. Killing someone by accident and deliberately killing someone is not he same thing.

So the question still stands, who are running around deliberately killing people without suffering from some sort of mental disorder?

Then you're pretty ignorant of the state of the world. There's more that happens in the world than just the crazy people appearing on news with their extraordinary crimes, such as school shootings etc. Rarely do you see a widely covered report about the guy who hit someone with a glass bottle in the head so he suffered bleeding in the brain and died because of it, just because they got into a fight or argument when drunk. You'll see a small little text about that and then as soon as someone shoots at a school - worldwide coverage pretty much.
    While this post isn't directed at me, I will say it - I'm definitely ignorant of the state of the world. I have a problem with you implying that you are the all-seeing-eye of this world though and aren't ignorant to it as well. You are every bit as ignorant as me and the guy you responded to. Get off your high horse.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Reproductive healthcare: Example - In many southern states it is virtually impossible (or even illegal in some countries) to get an abortion. Abortion clinics are few and far between, and there are areas of America where you have to travel several hundreds of miles in order to get an abortion
    Several hundred miles? Talk about first world problems.

Representation in the media: Example - There are several tropes that exist in popular culture that show women in a throughly negative way. Things like the 'damsel in distress' which reinforces the idea that women are helpless and useless and require a man to come and save them are repeated regularly throughout many forms of media including video games, movies, tv shows, books, and so on, with far more regularity than can be explained by randomness. Also, things like statistics on films that pass the Bechdel test (i.e a film or show or book etc that contains two women who talk about something other than a man - a pretty low standard to pass) show that virtually all our media is male centered and focuses on the glorification of men.
    Really? Yet again first world problems. These kinds of things are borderline hallucinations.
    Sexual double standards - http://www.thelocal.se/20140204/one-...rform-sex-acts (thanks Mooneye for the link)
    What the hell is coercing really? If they have been coerced, it's rape. I really doubt that one third of Swedish women have been raped.
    Social expectations - women are expected to stay home look after kids, play the housewife etc to prop up a society where men are free to persue their goals. This is often at the expense of what women want. They are seen as uncaring if they do not want to 'stay home with the kids' in many cases.
    Who has these expectations? "Society"? I don't think so. If your husband thinks like that, it's a problem in your relationship, not the whole society.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    But that is different since he probably didn't mean to kill him. Killing someone by accident and deliberately killing someone is not he same thing.
    Yeah, you don't just accidentally hit someone in the head hard enough to cause a brain bleeding, with an object. That's no accident.

What the hell is coercing really? If they have been coerced, it's rape. I really doubt that one third of Swedish women have been raped.
    Sexual coercion isn't rape in Sweden. Rape can only be perpetrated by threat of violence or use of violence or abusing someones incapacitated state.

Also, it's one third of young women. Not all women.
    Last edited by mmocfb6c003936; 2014-04-11 at 12:52 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsubodia View Post
    If men were given the same quota of maternity leave that women get this would completely fucking vanish. Not to mention the stigma women have towards men with young children. Such as me taking my baby niece to a swimming lesson to be greeted with disgust by all the other mums because how dare i be a man.

Virtually impossible vs illegal. Its still possible.
    You also cannot blame men for religious bullshit reasons preventing abortions.

Your media representation is bogus. Media is designed to entertain not pander to politically correct ideals. Maybe you should have an argument with your own mother as to why she bought you barbie dolls as a child rather than cars too. Or why its seen as abnormal for a little boy to have a barbie doll.

The link doesn't exactly prove your point either. Especially considering more males than females (as a %) will avoid reporting an issue of such nature due to the risk of not being taken seriously. afterall how can a man be raped or abused. he is a man and she is a woman blah blah
    Yes, men get stiffed too in certain areas. That is because the patriarchy works against men too in some aspects. It doesn't change the fact that the patriarchy and a sexist society is to blame for the imbalance.

You can blame men for it, when it is almost entirely men who decide these policies. And in some countries (western ones) it is illegal. I don't know about the law well enough to know whether it is illegal in some states or not as I'm from the UK, but expecting a woman to travel hundreds of miles (which often she cannot afford to do) to have access to basic reproductive healthcare is wrong.

If media is designed to entertain, then should it not equally represent and entertain both genders? And I absolutley take argument with mothers who buy their children exclusively gendered toys.

As for the rape stuff, I'm not even going to bother to respond to it. There is enough statistics out there about the percentages of rapists who spend a day in prison, see trial, or who are even reported, and about the gender divide in terms of numbers of rape cases out there that you can look that up for yourself, and if you can't see that it's a problem that heavily targets women, I have no desire to discuss it with you because it will only get me upset.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sexual coercion isn't rape in Sweden. Rape can only be perpetrated by threat of violence or use of violence or abusing someones incapacitated state.
    So what kind of form does this coercion take then? If there is no threat, where is the coercion? If there is a threat, it's rape.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, you don't just accidentally hit someone in the head hard enough to cause a brain bleeding, with an object. That's no accident.
    You actually don't need to hit someone that hard to do that. And hitting someone in the head during a brawl is not the same thing as wanting to kill him.

So the question still stands, who are running around deliberately killing people without suffering from some sort of mental disorder?
    Last edited by zephid; 2014-04-11 at 12:58 PM.

Can we put having a party to celebrate the deaths of these slavers, and accomplice slavers to a vote?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsubodia View Post
    Bold part: See OP post. They have laws banning it! The fact they do nothing about it is a different issue.
    Girl also wasnt 10. she was 14
    If anything what happened more perpetuates the issue of violence on both ends as people become more worried about their own "safety"
    Yeah I agree 100%. Shit like this happens when people are forced to live in an overly strict and fearful society for decades.

EDIT: WTF she was 14. Lol I must be high or something no idea why I kept seeing 10.
    Last edited by babo7000; 2014-04-11 at 12:57 PM.

Deleted
    So what kind of form does this coercion take then? If there is no threat, where is the coercion? If there is a threat, it's rape.
    Threat of violence. Blackmailing someone into having sex is sexual coercion, as an example. Such as this;
    Police have reported that many of the crimes have an additional digital element, where victims are filmed and then threatened with having their sexual acts published online if they don't carry out similar acts in the future.
    Also, for more accurate numbers: http://www.thelocal.se/20140305/swed...iolence-league

A new EU review of violence against women has revealed that one in three European women has been assaulted, and one in twenty has been raped, with the Scandinavian countries at the top of the league tables.

In the Scandinavian countries, in contrast, around half of the women reported physical or sexual violence, which researchers at the European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights said could have several explanations.

Deleted
    "All the women your age are sleeping with their boyfriends. Everyone in your class does it... If you won't sleep with me then to be honest I think there is something wrong with you. If you loved me, you'd do it. You wouldn't understand untill after you do it, let me show you. You don't want people to think you're weird and different or a prude, do you?" would be an example of coercion without a threat, I assume.

Reproductive healthcare: Example - In many southern states it is virtually impossible (or even illegal in some countries) to get an abortion. Abortion clinics are few and far between, and there are areas of America where you have to travel several hundreds of miles in order to get an abortion

Representation in the media: Example - There are several tropes that exist in popular culture that show women in a throughly negative way. Things like the 'damsel in distress' which reinforces the idea that women are helpless and useless and require a man to come and save them are repeated regularly throughout many forms of media including video games, movies, tv shows, books, and so on, with far more regularity than can be explained by randomness. Also, things like statistics on films that pass the Bechdel test (i.e a film or show or book etc that contains two women who talk about something other than a man - a pretty low standard to pass) show that virtually all our media is male centered and focuses on the glorification of men.

Sexual double standards - http://www.thelocal.se/20140204/one-...rform-sex-acts (thanks Mooneye for the link)

Social expectations - women are expected to stay home look after kids, play the housewife etc to prop up a society where men are free to persue their goals. This is often at the expense of what women want. They are seen as uncaring if they do not want to 'stay home with the kids' in many cases.
    True that having women being the weak and helpless gender in stories just annoys me to no end. and even when there is an action girl in a story, she's made to still have some "female frailty" to make her more endearing to men and show she's has still a week for/to them.This no-sense and when she's too tough and being a real badass she's dislike and deemed too butch etc.

Well relation the real world all I have to said is this. FUCK Double standard. Period

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not the entire country, it's mostly just the northern part.
    Either way, the marriage was perfectly legal and she really didn't have a choice. Whether just a part of the country allows it or not is irrelevant as long as the practice is allowed within the borders of said country.

Empower women in developing countries and it will change the world.

Deleted
    Yes, men get stiffed too in certain areas. That is because the patriarchy works against men too in some aspects. It doesn't change the fact that the patriarchy and a sexist society is to blame for the imbalance.

You can blame men for it, when it is almost entirely men who decide these policies. And in some countries (western ones) it is illegal. I don't know about the law well enough to know whether it is illegal in some states or not as I'm from the UK, but expecting a woman to travel hundreds of miles (which often she cannot afford to do) to have access to basic reproductive healthcare is wrong.

If media is designed to entertain, then should it not equally represent and entertain both genders? And I absolutley take argument with mothers who buy their children exclusively gendered toys.
    Just to clarify this. Basic reproductive health care does not encompass Abortions.

Media being designed to entertain makes it representative as a whole. In the most entertaining way. But then i don't sit there getting pissed because a show doesn't have 2 women in it. or has all women in it.

When we have shit like "loose women" which is a TV show full of women sat there bashing men yet to do the same the inverse would be seen as sexist there is worse issues.

But i will bite. List your favorite tv shows.. even 2 of them and explain how it would be "better" with more female representation? or more male representation?

Trying to force a pre determined level of "equality" is in itself sexist. But hell people dont give a fuck about that as long as they win right

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    Either way, the marriage was perfectly legal and she really didn't have a choice. Whether just a part of the country allows it or not is irrelevant as long as the practice is allowed within the borders.
    It is actually illegal according to Nigerian federal law.