Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Arranged marriage =/= Forced marriage.

How are they different? In both cases it's the family deciding not the child.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    To put things in perspective - arranged marriages are worldwide the standard compared to the "free marriage" we nowadays have in western countries.
    At least the Chinese, Japanese, Indians, whole Africa have arranged marriages. That's more than half of the world population already.
    Ok but this was not an arranged marriage. She was bought recently, not promised 14 years ago.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vipers View Post
    there is no innocents if they aprove marriage like that
    Off with their heads!

God forbid they don't respect tradition as old as the pyramids, kill them all!

Whether it's right or wrong will differ between each individual person; but I personally don't feel like murder is ever justified. The situation for the young girl was grim and there were few alternatives available if she wanted to free herself from the marriage, she would have no doubt suffered a great deal regardless of whatever path she took with this problem, it's just sad that stuff like this has to happen. There really was no way out of this without someone being at the very least, mentally scarred for life.

I'm not sure what my thoughts are on it, I'm happy that she freed herself and that she may have a greatly different future from this point (who knows if it will be better or worse though? As stated before in the thread, in her country she may not really have any ground for her actions), but a number of people still died so... Yeah. Idk. I'm not someone who is able to give a worthy opinion on this topic tbh.
    Last edited by DechCJC; 2014-04-11 at 06:18 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    ..so....that makes it ok? Awesome...you've pissed me off mildly...and since apes kill each other when annoyed, I will now kill you..but since animals do it as well it must be ok right?
    I never said it was ok.

15+ Year Old Account
    Arranged marriage =/= Forced marriage.
    It's the same thing. Parents decide who marries who.

Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
    Ok but this was not an arranged marriage. She was bought recently, not promised 14 years ago.
    How do you know that? And what does "recently" mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Big differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    It's the same thing. Parents decide who marries who.
    Are we just gonna ignore that in arranged marriage it happens by the own free will of the people who are going to get married?

Well
    One is an agreement made way ahead of time. Think like Sansa and Joffery in GOT. That was arranged, very clearly so.
    IN this region people sell their kids for money and food to older guys so they have food or money, now.

Even tho both require an agreement, or an arrangement if you will, one actually requires more planning, as the child is, less discardable, and relies on good faith of the family to provide a child for the arrangement. The other is like buying a car off the lot.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralgarog View Post
    I agree. This situation in this story is an Arranged Marriage.
    Most definitely not.

She stood up for herself, and in that culture, that takes no small amount of determination...but reckless killing is not a good idea... It'll probably just make her life even worse.

It's a horrible tradition, and a rather disgusting culture...

Said I was out of here but...
    http://www.shaktiedinburgh.co.uk/arr...arriageyp.html
    http://muslimmatters.org/2011/12/22/...rced-marriage/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/forcedmarriage/
    https://www.cheshire.police.uk/advic...marriages.aspx

The more you fucking know...
    Last edited by King Shark; 2014-04-11 at 06:26 PM.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Deleted
    She's right.

An arranged marriage, like the ones that happen in Africa (including this article) is when the parents agree to marry a child.

A forced marriage, (Unlike this case) is when a child is married to someone else without consent of the family, or married as a way to pay off a debt.

Very similar things based on our morals, however on some African cultures, they are night and day.
    No, arranged marriage both partners consent. If there is no consent from both it is a forced marriage on either one part or both parts.

10+ Year Old Account
    This would be a forced marriage. The child had no say in the matter. An arranged marriage (like an o-miai) is where two individuals are brought together, typically chosen by family, to decide if they want to marry. The woman could say no. The man could say no. Likewise they could both say yes.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHast View Post
    Off with their heads!

God forbid they don't respect tradition as old as the pyramids, kill them all!
    As long as we go back to ALL the traditions back then...cant do halfway

Deleted
    I love how everyone condemns these practices as being pedo and disgusting.

It's normal tradition for them and a 14 year old is seen as a grown or "flowered" woman there.

Do i agree with it? No, but i don't think i have the right to really comment on their behaviour, as i have never been to nigeria.

Believe it or not folks, Your opinion isn't always the truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you disagreeing because you have reading problems or.... Because that is what i typed and unless i misread, the article does not go into the terms of the marriage.
    From the article:
    A 14-year-old girl forced to marry a 35-year-old man in Nigeria prepared a celebratory meal laced with rat poison for her new hubby — killing him and three of his pals.
    The parents might have agreed to marry the child, but the child had no say. She was forced into it. It was a forced marriage.

Big differences.

Are we just gonna ignore that in arranged marriage it happens by the own free will of the people who are going to get married?
    Uh....I think the boat that carried your understanding of what an arranged marriage is sailed about 3 hours ago....you werent on it...seriously...stop posting..you just make yourself look like a bigger idiot with each one

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Uh....I think the boat that carried your understanding of what an arranged marriage is sailed about 3 hours ago....you werent on it...seriously...stop posting..you just make yourself look like a bigger idiot with each one
    How many times do I have to paste this?

Arranged marriage should not be confused with the practice of forced marriage such as vani. In an arranged marriage, while the meeting of the spouses is arranged by family members, relatives or friends, the spouses agree of their own free will to marry. By contrast, in a forced marriage, one or both spouses are coerced into the marriage - the union takes place without their freely given consent (under duress, threats, psychological pressure etc).

If the spouses aren't free to say no or yes, then it is, by definition, a forced marriage and not an arranged marriage.