Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Need help leveling a rogue!

Hey guys, so I have a lvl 41 rogue that im gonna level to 90 and I havent played since vanilla. Just recently leveled a hunter to 90 so i have MoP knowledge and classic WoW knowledge but im really confused on how to level a rogue. Im currently farming the heirlooms so i was wondering what spec/weapons i should use? if it means anything im a gnome :P

Rogues are boring to level to begin with because they dont get aoe (FoK) until level 80. Personally id go with sub or assassination and make sure you get the one glyph that refreshes snd and recup to it's full duration upon the death of anything that yields xp or honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheltleth View Post
    Personally id go with sub or assassination and make sure you get the one glyph that refreshes snd and recup to it's full duration upon the death of anything that yields xp or honor.
    This. Personally, I'd go (I AM going) with assassination. Sub's damage (aka burst) is dependant on stealth: ambush not useable out of stealth without CDs and getting a backstab before any mob turns to you is gonna be impossible unless steallthed. In order to keep a better flow of kills, I'd advise assassination.

hahaha im so thankful i had a vanilla rogue teacher teach me heh blizzard can't fix that.
    “Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life” “Logic will get you from A to Z; Imagination will get you everywhere.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sheltleth View Post
    Rogues are boring to level to begin with because they dont get aoe (FoK) until level 80. Personally id go with sub or assassination and make sure you get the one glyph that refreshes snd and recup to it's full duration upon the death of anything that yields xp or honor.
    Actually rogues get aoe at level 10 in combat Blade Flurry causes attacks to hit 4 additional targets.
    But for leveling combat is a descent spec. If you are getting heirloom weapons just get the daggers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Balgazarr View Post
    Actually rogues get aoe at level 10 in combat Blade Flurry causes attacks to hit 4 additional targets.
    But for leveling combat is a descent spec. If you are getting heirloom weapons just get the daggers.
    AoE = area of effect, you are talking about cleaving.

Hi tim bucker I loved lvling my rogue and it sounds like your looking for knowledge. I will share with you. the class is an introspective class so the perspective you will be seeing from is your characters point of view from within and then looking out from others seeing on the inside. (ninjutsu is an introspective martial arts, heart and blade, patients.) this class modled how a ninja trains. the class does take away from you a lot; to me this is why they say it is an advanced class. it has been around for a long time been overlooked by others.

I liked 40-49 that was the funnest pvp. death knights are in 50 bracket.

the class takes a long time to get a feel for there are ingame tips etc. find a way to make your own brew. your own brew of choice to how you game is yours; be happy. any spec and weapon choice works. i prefer subtlety delta this is subtlety with a main hand sword and offhand dagger. dagger for fast poison application.

here is the damage path that you may apply to any spec and it works.

1. melee - your weapon strikes accumulated overall white damage for common.
    2. Poisons (MoP Deadly)
    3. envenom or eviscerate. it will be your focus on to eviscerate and envenom consistently per minute. during your damage rotation
    4. combo point generator (mutilate, expose armor, sinister strike, revealing strike, backstab hemorrhage.)

this is your priority as a damage for rogue. best damage path to maintain during leveling on your rogue. end game you will need macros learn about macros once your end game to 90.

find people who know how to utilise your talents as a spy. other players can make your day a living hell for not synergising with you just leaves you out of the game. rogues are tacticians and strategies very well during pvp. thanks.
    “Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life” “Logic will get you from A to Z; Imagination will get you everywhere.”

Quote Originally Posted by regularcustomer View Post
    Hi tim bucker I loved lvling my rogue and it sounds like your looking for knowledge. I will share with you. the class is an introspective class so the perspective you will be seeing from is your characters point of view from within and then looking out from others seeing on the inside. (ninjutsu is an introspective martial arts, heart and blade, patients.) this class modled how a ninja trains. the class does take away from you a lot; to me this is why they say it is an advanced class. it has been around for a long time been overlooked by others.

I liked 40-49 that was the funnest pvp. death knights are in 50 bracket.

the class takes a long time to get a feel for there are ingame tips etc. find a way to make your own brew. your own brew of choice to how you game is yours; be happy. any spec and weapon choice works. i prefer subtlety delta this is subtlety with a main hand sword and offhand dagger. dagger for fast poison application.

here is the damage path that you may apply to any spec and it works.

1. melee - your weapon strikes accumulated overall white damage for common.
    2. Poisons (MoP Deadly)
    3. envenom or eviscerate. it will be your focus on to eviscerate and envenom consistently per minute. during your damage rotation
    4. combo point generator (mutilate, expose armor, sinister strike, revealing strike, backstab hemorrhage.)

this is your priority as a damage for rogue. best damage path to maintain during leveling on your rogue. end game you will need macros learn about macros once your end game to 90.

find people who know how to utilise your talents as a spy. other players can make your day a living hell for not synergising with you just leaves you out of the game. rogues are tacticians and strategies very well during pvp. thanks.
    Yeah i really enjoyed him back in classic, was a lvl 39 twink :P. So obviously it'll be alot of fine adjusting to what works for me but as soon whos used to spirit bond's op heals and safety net what would offer be the better balance of dmg/survivability ? and so 1h sword and dagger you suggest though? Is there any bonus to using the same kind of weapon in bot slots like in torchlight? ie. if 2 1h swords equipped i had a chance to strike with both at the same time.
    Also i plan on doing raiding/random BG's so if there is anything that could "set me up" for success from my time lvling from 41-90 would be appreciated .

(Turns out im a herb/alch...should i change those up?)
    Last edited by timbucker; 2014-04-11 at 03:08 PM.

All you need to level a Rogue are two knives and a distinct lack of consideration for the well-being of everything else around you.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I leveled my 2nd rogue I started as sub and switched to combat when I noticed it was slowing down... it was a great decision to do so. Combat is much easier to level with. Get the glyph of deadly momentum & go mob to mob, you don't even need to worry about re-stealthing. Combat is viable straight to 90.

I am leveling my 3rd rogue (ally this time lvl 80 now) and I have always played sub. Assassination would be faster, but it just does not feel right after all these years as sub. I use BGs to gain XP and end up skipping a lot of quests in an area. Also remember when you get to 70 to start buying Cata blue gear for the upper 70s, you get at least 50-75% more health and more agility. the BoA gear stops scaling at 80 anyway, so get gear if you can find any.

Enjoy! Forsaken Rogues - FTW!

BA

So combat what BoA weapons should i pick up? the 1sword/dagger combo that was suggested?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by delicousaids View Post
    All you need to level a Rogue are two knives and a distinct lack of consideration for the well-being of everything else around you.
    This made me laugh!

Cleave on 4 targets is great. As Combat you can do great dmg in all dungeons on those "AOE" packs
    In addition the 2 heirloom swords you can buy for the rogue or even better than 2 fists (from brawlers guild) can then be used on a windwalker monk and if you get the first on an enh shaman too making it a heirloom to reiuse. Not to mention the Swords and Fists are far better transmorg options than the daggers later on

I just leveled a rogue from 1 to 20 and then another one from 1 to 60 because i didn't like the race i picked first and the "Cleave" instead of AOE is so great that it makes leveling rly cool. Not to mention other cool talents you can use in the world as stealth and vanish in dungeons in case of a bad group trying to wipe.

One important thing is to get a glyph called "Deadly momentum" it's key glyph for combat leveling. It refreshes your slice and dice and recuperate when you kill an enemy making those 2 up all the time in open world and the need to refresh them in dungeons a lot less anoying

Best weapons would be the 2 fists for combat + bonus looks. Don't forget to enchant them
    Last edited by Pyrophobia; 2014-04-11 at 10:11 PM.

playing for survival is definitely the way right now.

i had a discussion with another guy on the forums a while back about sword mainhand dagger off hand.

i start off with explanation.

two handed weapons attack speed 3.4 seconds. any haste stacking will make your attack speed 2.1 seconds lower is better.
    no way is dual wielding better than a two handed weapon this is why. the damage given to the two handed weapon and then the haste stacked make it ideal for pvp.
    daggers have less damage given to them but you would have to stack a lot of haste to make it equal to the two handed weapon strategy. consider attack slowing effects for pvp. the daggers attack at 1.8 have to stack a lot of haste for the damage to even out overall. think of this as a graph the two handed weapon has the most attractive scaling on the graph for damage you may choose daggers but you have to stack all haste to get to relative performance of the two handed weapon strategy.

now i have thought about this a while experimented with a main hand sword and dagger off hand (dagger offhand for poison application). through my testing i found that this was a healthy medium between two handed weapon strategy using as much haste as possible and having relative damage compared to two-handed weapon strategy. i decided that this was indeed efficient equal between damage and speed for me to stack haste as a rogue. keep your profession you will benefit from them greatly @ 90. here is my stat strategy to.

get a feel for making your own brew ignore shadow craft. this is my stat strategy

take all crit reforge into haste. don't touch mastery

haste>Mastery

agility is the base of our damage by making the base of the pyramid bigger won't help. instead concentrate on the mechanics of the class such as energy and combo points. synergise your gear to where haste is added the most and mastery second.
    red gem slots purple or orange
    yellow haste yellow
    blue slot either green haste or mastery combination

then with alchemy agility flask. other raid buffs exist that give agility just because grouped together. haste elixir haste food buff. with your professions being alchemy herbalism you will have more haste than I.

the nature of the combo point system is 5 combo points energy does not match the combo points (energy cost) 1/5 of 100 is 20. eviscerate is focus @ the end of rotation and all bleeds up with slice and dice going.

you may do google search for ninja topics timbucker if your more a visual person then i recommend the movie "the Forbidden kingdom"staring jet li and jackie chan. enjoy your journey traveler tim bucker.
    Last edited by Naiattavain; 2014-04-12 at 01:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by regularcustomer View Post
    -long quote-
    The comments you make in here have no basis. Weapons are balanced around DPS, and abilities are generally balanced for a single weapon speed. A 2h has higher base DPS because you only use one. As regards combat, both weapon speeds (for the offhand) are essentially equal when you're leveling; sub can be leveled with any weapon speed (OH dagger) and assassination, of course, has to use 2 daggers. You should also never use anything but agi for flask, potion, or food.

On professions: they're being readjusted again in WoD, so I wouldn't worry about it. For now, however, gathering profs are behind as they always have been, as is tailoring. Feel free to check Shadowcraft for how large or small a gain professions are at 90 -- just load a local 90 rogue to test.

Edit: to finish my comment on weapons, if you're playing combat, you need a 2.6 for your MH, for assassination you need 2 daggers, and sub can use either -- when you pick up weapons, pick them based on what spec you want to play.
    Last edited by Kael; 2014-04-12 at 07:16 AM.

im sorry but what do you mean by a 2.6?

hey tim, i've leveled 3 rogues to 90 thus far, my first was played since vanilla, my second since lich, and my third in cata. my main (vanilla rogue) is assassination spec, i prefer assassination spec because it suits MY playstyle, because i found it enjoyable to play i found the leveling grind to be less arduous and in turn my percept of the "time spent" leveling changed as well and i was excited to progress and fine-tune my toon. i discovered that i enjoyed playing assassination in the simplest way, i messed around with different talent styles, watched other rogues on my server play, i made crazy macros to string attacks together or activate cooldowns in tandem with trinkets, and then one day it all just kinda clicked and i said " i lke this spec" then i started going to theory crafting sites and researching what others were doing and started applying different ideas to my rotation.
    as far as quick leveling my other rogues were decked out in heirloom gear, i started their professions as soon as they were available, and then i chain qued dungeon finder while questing.
    fast leveling is great and all cause you get to play endgame sooner, but i must say there is a subtle nuance to the rogue class and if you play it well you can be a formidable force, but i feel that nuance is lost on those who speed level the rogue class.
    hope you find my words somewhat useful buddy i've been playing rogues for about 10 years now and they are still my favorite class to play.

Quote Originally Posted by baneraze View Post
    hey tim, i've leveled 3 rogues to 90 thus far, my first was played since vanilla, my second since lich, and my third in cata. my main (vanilla rogue) is assassination spec, i prefer assassination spec because it suits MY playstyle, because i found it enjoyable to play i found the leveling grind to be less arduous and in turn my percept of the "time spent" leveling changed as well and i was excited to progress and fine-tune my toon. i discovered that i enjoyed playing assassination in the simplest way, i messed around with different talent styles, watched other rogues on my server play, i made crazy macros to string attacks together or activate cooldowns in tandem with trinkets, and then one day it all just kinda clicked and i said " i lke this spec" then i started going to theory crafting sites and researching what others were doing and started applying different ideas to my rotation.
    as far as quick leveling my other rogues were decked out in heirloom gear, i started their professions as soon as they were available, and then i chain qued dungeon finder while questing.
    fast leveling is great and all cause you get to play endgame sooner, but i must say there is a subtle nuance to the rogue class and if you play it well you can be a formidable force, but i feel that nuance is lost on those who speed level the rogue class.
    hope you find my words somewhat useful buddy i've been playing rogues for about 10 years now and they are still my favorite class to play.
    Yeah i will say i was worried that by speed leveling id be overwhelmed but its just the time to farm up these god damn heirlooms, now i have tended to be more to assassination as well. Now taking everyones advice and opinion about it im sure i will end up dual speccing combat, if thats the case im still not clear as to what weapons to buy lol. I understand whats being told to me as far as the rogue and the theory behind everything, 2 fist weapons? 2 daggers? 1h sword/dag?

Also, would you mind if i was to add you on battle net?

Quote Originally Posted by Kael View Post
    The comments you make in here have no basis. Weapons are balanced around DPS, and abilities are generally balanced for a single weapon speed. A 2h has higher base DPS because you only use one. As regards combat, both weapon speeds (for the offhand) are essentially equal when you're leveling; sub can be leveled with any weapon speed (OH dagger) and assassination, of course, has to use 2 daggers. You should also never use anything but agi for flask, potion, or food.
    You'll want a dagger in offhand for combat while leveling. You don't get killing spree until level 80 and that's the equalizer between slow/fast. You still benefit from the poison application of a dagger at level 40 but don't have killing spree.