Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    All of these people with supposedly innocent friends may want to consider that the Ban happens when the decision is made, whether the to-be-banned-player is in a raid, actively paying or offline. It doesn't have to coincide with the actual botting. It's not as though you botted for 3 days, didn't get banned and now you're good to go. Blizzard builds up for waves of bans and there's still a chance they'll find your 3 day stint when they do that, and you'll be banned later for it.

The OP's story doesn't add up to me. They only received a 3 day ban whereas if Blizzard was actually banning them for botting it would have been a permanent ban. My guess is that if the OP were to display the email Blizzard sent him that he was banned for something else, and is claiming otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    I farm pretty hard most days, but I kill a mob here or there, and in doing it in the Vot4W, I check for the rares on occasion, since rares have a chance to drop bags that have mats that I am farming for anyway. I fail to see how it is so hard for the OP to change up his pattern enough to not get reported, which I assume is why he got banned. I NEVER EVER talk to anyone, but on a dead merged server, there are few to talk to anyway, horde side at least. And the whole, "How can I beat the system" kind of screams that you were doing something less than legal, and want to keep from getting caught for it. Seriously, I know how to farm until my eyes bleed, but if you cannot stop for any time, even mount a trav mammoth to sell stuff, instead of deleting things, or visit a vendor, that are only like every 7 feet in every zone, maybe you deserved to be banned. But, I agree with what others have said, and that is that we do not have the whole story, and the whole "I was completely innocent" schtick does not seem to hold any water.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    If Blizzard says you're botting, you're more then likely botting.

They have some incredibly high tech stuff to catch bots.

I want the whole story, and I don't think you're telling us it.
    Really? Care to elaborate?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    I have been banned in the past for botting while falsely accused, as I was in the middle of a 17 hour grinding shift trying to get a transmogrification piece. Luckily it was just a temporary 3 day ban which seems to be protocol for first time offense, but I was definitely not botting.
    Luckily never been banned nor suspended... Though... I did get, what seems to be, hate/troll reported on Gehco. I never understood how some name reports doesn't get researched though. So had to rename, though luckily, I still make sure to keep that name on all my servers.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Still Rampant Rabbit View Post
    Really? Care to elaborate?
    LCP is one of the newest additions. The main reason to never use a public bot profile.

https://iseclab.org/papers/botdetection-article.pdf

Besides that. The hidden data in contained in screenshots was quite clever. And I do believe that the flag system is getting quite "good".

Yeah Blizzard have nasa working on finding bots that's why you don't see bots all over the place oh wait.
    Choptimus
    <Prime>
    10man #18 EU
    25man #76 EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    If Blizzard says you're botting, you're more then likely botting.

They have some incredibly high tech stuff to catch bots.

I want the whole story, and I don't think you're telling us it.
    You obviously did not play during vanilla or BC when grinding mobs was the way to get money or rep.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Choptimus View Post
    Yeah Blizzard have nasa working on finding bots that's why you don't see bots all over the place oh wait.
    The bot detection is pretty good. It's the push over customer service that reverse perma-bans that are the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't bot bans usually happen in waves? It's more likely you did something else to get a 3 day ban I think.

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    blizzard's bot detection is really not that good.
    if you are doing what you said in your message you wouldn't have been banned. I think you're leaving a lot out.

I know people who have used bots for months/years and never got banned.
    Respectfully, you seem to be missing the ENTIRE point. Bots are designed specifically to do things that create enough randomness to fool Blizz's automated systems. It's why they're still going strong (as are BG bots). There's a lot of time and effort (and constant "upgrading") invested to KEEP fooling the bot checking software as it's improved. REAL people just do what they're doing (whether it's grinding or afking in a battleground), and if they're being very single-minded in a task (as the OP clearly does - haven't you ever done a repetitive, tedious task until you hit a spaced out "zone" akin to autopilot?), they ping Blizz's crappy bot checker. Do it often enough or get a super lazy GM - and there are as many of them as there are super nice, helpful ones - and you're screwed.

Probably the only reason I haven't come across this problem when doing whatever grind it may be (ore, herbs, random xmog green or battle pet drops) - and I do not use any kind of botting program, just regular old addons like gathermate and fish ping for professions - is because I have spoiled rotten cats that force me to take frequent breaks by jumping on my lap and demanding a cuddle, or by jumping on my desk and blocking the screen when hungry. My "tiny woman bladder" needing frequent pee breaks probably doesn't hurt, either. lol

OP, take random brief breaks (good for ergonomic reasons too), plus you might consider at least periodically swapping whether you're equipping those gloves. That will create some randomness, plus, I'm sure the speed those gloves grant is part of what gets you in trouble, even though BLizz are the ones that designed the damn things!

By the time Blizzard actually bans you for botting, you were botting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Best bet is do not flood the AH with Ore. Smelt some, prospect some, craft some items, etc. For me, I farm close to 100 stacks a day. From that, I will sell 10 stacks of Ore, 10 stacks of bars, and use my Alch to make bars into Trillium and then into Living Steel, and sell all that from his character. If you just dump 30 stacks in the AH, that is usually a clear sign you are botting and dumping. Convert the Ore into other items and sell when possible.

If that is too much work, just sell 10 stacks of ore and 10 stacks of bars at a time. If you don't flood the AH, and reverse your farming path every once in awhile, you will never get banned again.

Ya know, I actually do believe him. Being on a druid with the gloves cutting down the actual farming cast time, one is extremely efficient.
    I have had other peeps report me because they get out mined by me so they report me as a bot.
    It takes time to read all the reports and make the decision to lower the boom, hence the ban at a later time.
    I use the 64 bit client jfyi..

I also try to reply asap to any whispers, like from the ones miffed at missing out on the rare node.
    I usually say practice makes perfect... 8-)
    My Armory - Tenzi

Deleted
    Had a friend that got perma banned for "botting", she appealed but Blizzard just went "Nuh-uh, we're flawless, you botted and now you're banned, all your hard work over the years for nothing, thanks for the money by the way" I told her I would pick up my business and go play something else, only to watch her buy all WoW x-packs again and go back to paying a subscription, only for her to quit playing a few months later, good job at giving those bastards what they want without having to work for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duridi View Post
    Are you sure?

I've been farming nodes and similar for several hours in a day without ever getting banned, or even a warning.
    If you have decent gear, a more than basic mount, actual achieves, and do things like take breaks and/or randomize your route, that is no doubt enough. I have also spent hours at a stretch grinding things (no botting, just me), but I xmog all my toons, use addons that randomize my army of mounts (although I use my obsidian nightwing the most out of habit since I typically dual-box when questing), have a good number of achieves, don't try to ninja nodes if someone is at all ahead of me/closer, plus I take frequent small breaks (food, drink, pets, flip laundry) which is no doubt what keeps me from getting in trouble from players reporting me falsely or from Warden detecting botting activity falsely.

You CAN, btw, get in trouble for manually (non-botting) grinding if you're being a resource hog and someone gets mad enough and reports you. Too lazy to track it down, but it's been posted before either here or in the actually WoW forums.
    Last edited by Tazr; 2014-04-13 at 02:55 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnasnimadan View Post
    Had a friend that got perma banned for "botting", she appealed but Blizzard just went "Nuh-uh, we're flawless, you botted and now you're banned, all your hard work over the years for nothing, thanks for the money by the way" I told her I would pick up my business and go play something else, only to watch her buy all WoW x-packs again and go back to paying a subscription, only for her to quit playing a few months later, good job at giving those bastards what they want without having to work for it.
    Well, maybe she did bot and thus knew that she basically was in the wrong?
    Just because you think she didn't doesn't mean that she actually didn't.

Botting is a perma ban. You probably got banned for something else and need a reason for people to hate Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Fhina View Post
    Respectfully, you seem to be missing the ENTIRE point. Bots are designed specifically to do things that create enough randomness to fool Blizz's automated systems. It's why they're still going strong (as are BG bots).
    Bots perform in ways that make them easily recognizable. More recognizable to automated detection, in fact, than to humans.

The ways in which bots repeat activities make them obviously "inhuman" when subjected to relatively simple analysis, and it's difficult to design bots that work usefully in the framework of WoW that don't also behave in a telltale manner.

That said, Blizzard is more interested in clamping down firmly on any automation that is becoming a "trend" than it is on fingering every single use of automation. The banwaves earlier this year were crushing blows to a couple of large automation communities.

If you are out there doing the same thing on your bot that a bunch of other people are doing, and it seems to be going really well, then your perma ban is already in the pipeline.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Frankly I'd act like a bot in a sarcastic manner. someone whispers are u a bot?

reply "Wowglider: Auto response loading chuck norris joke 104, fuck off.
    Best joke MMO-C 2014! If someone ever asks me if I'm a bot, this WILL BE my EXACT reply. +5000 to you prwraith!