Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Rubbish collectors are doing a more important job right now, without them your cities would be knee deep in rotting food and packaging. No disrespect to those that have spent time fighting in the Middle East, but Iraq really wasn't a threat to our way of life (not to mention the fact that 9/11 was planned by a Saudi living in Afghanistan - and nobody invaded the Arab Emirates).
    UAE =/= Saudi Arabia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Still, even if you ignore the that, the hijab is a serious safety concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    So what? If I got to decide I'd take Stalin's path regarding religion.

Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    UAE =/= Saudi Arabia.
    OK then, nobody invaded Saudi Arabia. My point still stands. The wars the west is currently involved in, are not fought because of some threat of invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Meteoria View Post
    It's quite obvious you don't understand civilians, or even the dangers of being a farmer, sure it's not as dangerous as being in a warzone but it's still pretty damn dangerous. Drop the superiority complex too, you aren't better than anyone.
    Hi! Thanks for blowing everything out of porportion. We dont understand civilians because we were civilians before the military. Its not a superiority complex as you arrogantly put it. Its letting you know that our experiences differ severely and unless you have been in a warzone you cant possibly understand what we go though. So how often do farmers die then if its so dangerous? Do they run across an IED's or anything? Way to be a pompous ass.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    There hasn't been a threat to our freedoms since WW2. Now they're just instruments of political doctrine.
    There hasn't been a threat to your freedom since WW2? Who were the Russians and that whole cold war thing? The REASON you people are safe is BECAUSE of the military. You think if the west just up and disarmed we wouldn't be invaded? Whatever helps with that ignorant complex of yours. This was about giving info to vets and all that has happened is the tree hugging left wing hippys have come out to play.
    Last edited by Xires; 2014-04-13 at 07:03 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xires View Post
    Hi! Thanks for blowing everything out of porportion. We dont understand civilians because we were civilians before the military. Its not a superiority complex as you arrogantly put it. Its letting you know that our experiences differ severely and unless you have been in a warzone you cant possibly understand what we go though. So how often do farmers die then if its so dangerous? Do they run across an IED's or anything? Way to be a pompous ass.
    Comprehension is hard, go re-read what I said then come back about the dangers part.

It appears to be a superiority complex, or an entitlement complex at least, you seem to be acting like you deserve something the rest of us don't. Do civilians who live in warzones deserve more than you? They're in more danger than even the military in recent conflicts.

Pompous;
    affectedly grand, solemn, or self-important.
    That word doesn't mean what you think it means.

Education & Healthcare are two of the main benefits promised to US veterans when they enlist, so its no surprise that they actually GET those benefits later.

Do you harp on any other profession for receiving healthcare benefits that are in their employment contract ?

Comprehension is hard, go re-read what I said then come back about the dangers part.

It appears to be a superiority complex, or an entitlement complex at least, you seem to be acting like you deserve something the rest of us don't. Do civilians who live in warzones deserve more than you? They're in more danger than even the military in recent conflicts.

Pompous;

That word doesn't mean what you think it means.
    Never once said I deserved anything YOU go and re-read what I said that RE-read what you said.
    Pompous ass- yes it does mean what I know it means. Thanks for trying. Tell me...are you so smug to the point that you stand around and sniff your farts all day? South Park reference.

ps breathe in deep
    Last edited by Xires; 2014-04-13 at 07:04 PM.

- - - Updated - - -

There hasn't been a threat to your freedom since WW2? Who were the Russians and that whole cold war thing? The REASON you people are safe is BECAUSE of the military. You think if the west just up and disarmed we wouldn't be invaded? Whatever helps with that ignorant complex of yours. This was about giving info to vets and all that has happened is the tree hugging left wing hippys have come out to play.
    politics... nothing else... Military is a puppet

Quote Originally Posted by jasdasm View Post
    politics... nothing else... Military is a puppet
    Yeah? Last I checked the civilian sector was nothing but a bunch of puppets aswell. Last I checked the rich can get away with murder where the average citizen does time. Last I checked the rich make the rules and you obey them. Last I checked the rich sign your paychecks so you yourself...are very much a puppet aswell....welcome to the club...pull up a chair....take a seat right next to Meteoria wearing the "dunce" hat...I'm assuming he/she/it knows what that means.

Deleted
    Never once said I deserved anything YOU go and re-read what I said that RE-read what you said.
    Pompous ass- yes it does mean what I know it means. Thanks for trying. Tell me...are you so smug to the point that you stand around and sniff your farts all day? South Park reference.

ps breathe in deep
    You don't know what it means or at least not how to use it, you have demonstrated this twice now, congratulations. I retract the you saying you deserve something, you just act like it and you act like you are some special being that we cannot magically understand but you can magically understand other people, pro-tip people don't work that way. You're nothing special, nobody is really.

I personally do not like to engage in the inhalation of fecal matter. Sorry to crush your dreams

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah? Last I checked the civilian sector was nothing but a bunch of puppets aswell. Last I checked the rich can get away with murder where the average citizen does time. Last I checked the rich make the rules and you obey them. Last I checked the rich sign your paychecks so you yourself...are very much a puppet aswell....welcome to the club...pull up a chair....take a seat right next to Meteoria wearing the "dunce" hat...I'm assuming he/she/it knows what that means.
    Boy, you are aggressive, you also think you know more than other people when you clearly don't. Don't think anyone here has claimed they aren't under the control of someone somewhere, you're just the one delusioned with protecting freedom when that hasn't even been a required thing since WW2, come back when someone tries to invade the US, say that; then we'll agree.

Lots of trolls in this thread. Don't feed them, vets.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    Lots of trolls in this thread. Don't feed them, vets.
    Most of us have given up trying to do otherwise, now I just sit back, smile and watch the fireworks.

15+ Year Old Account
    I pay an $8 copay. So if you think you as a veteran have to worry about the ACA then this should put you to rest. Btw, for any ACA supporters out there if I DID have to enroll I would have to pay $400 a month that I DONT have to pay now because I'm enrolled in the VA...Affordable my ass.
    As a veteran, the government is already paying for your healthcare through the other programs you listed. You are aware that non-veterans don't get free healthcare, right? It's affordable compared to having to pay the full insurance cost yourself.

Your argument is akin to a Canadian saying, "Obamacare doesn't benefit me because the government of Canada is already paying for my healthcare! Affordable my ass!"
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Wonderful, another thread by a Veteran being derailed by military haters, stay classy MMOC-OT

OT- This should answer your questions http://www.va.gov/health/aca/FAQ.asp

As Rich mentioned earlier, the Servicemen who hold there hand out wanting things are generally considered douches by fellow service members. The VA is not a handout or a freebie, it's to provide treatment to veterans who have service related trauma or injuries. Why some of you in here have such hatred for servicemen has always confused me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    There hasn't been a threat to our freedoms since WW2. Now they're just instruments of political doctrine.
    Oh boy here we go again.

I know you don't like to hear it, or disagree, but the American armed forces has been providing global economic security for the last 70 odd years. Having a large and well trained military has been instrumental in preventing large scale conflicts world wide, which would disrupt global supply chains and create economic chaos.

Me and you have sparred in the past on this, and your hatred of veterans is noted. You are not blameless however. You pay taxes which contribute to the defense budget. In short, you buy the bullets I use to kill. So unless you're willing to "keep it real" and renounce your U.S. Citizenship and expatriate from the country, you should really quit pointing fingers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Education & Healthcare are two of the main benefits promised to US veterans when they enlist, so its no surprise that they actually GET those benefits later.

Do you harp on any other profession for receiving healthcare benefits that are in their employment contract ?
    This so much.

The amount of arguments I have had with ignorant civilians on this matter is infuriating.

I signed a contract, and served 11 years. Part of that contract is that in exchange for my service I would be provided with Educational benefits VIA the GI Bill, and healthcare benefits VIA the VA.

Some civi's believe its okay to invalidate service contracts because they don't like the conflicts we are forced to go engage in.

You don't know what it means or at least not how to use it, you have demonstrated this twice now, congratulations. I retract the you saying you deserve something, you just act like it and you act like you are some special being that we cannot magically understand but you can magically understand other people, pro-tip people don't work that way. You're nothing special, nobody is really.

I personally do not like to engage in the inhalation of fecal matter. Sorry to crush your dreams

- - - Updated - - -

Boy, you are aggressive, you also think you know more than other people when you clearly don't. Don't think anyone here has claimed they aren't under the control of someone somewhere, you're just the one delusioned with protecting freedom when that hasn't even been a required thing since WW2, come back when someone tries to invade the US, say that; then we'll agree.
    That's the thing. Unless you have been under fire and know what its like to go through a combat deployment where you spend almost all of your time outside the wire...you wont understand. The fact that you are on here pointing fingers at me only PROVES that you dont understand. We understand civilians because as I said we have been one before..its not hard to understand civi's....your attitude is "gimme gimme gimme...me me me...mine mine mine" I understand you very well. Now understand this..wearing 100-120lbs of combat gear for extended periods of time...the strain and the stress you go through is so immense that there is an alarming rate of veteran suicides. Infantry put there bodies through so much stress physically and mentally...a pro-athlete could not compare. Crush my dreams? No thats just your mentality coming to the surface...its obvious that you have a seeded hate for the military but thats ok...because the blood of those who I fought with, those who fought before me and those who have yet to fight are what enabled you (weather you believe it or not) to sit there and speak your mind...as arrogant as it is. This isnt and was NEVER a "im better then you" thread...you just attempted to turn it into that and failed.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    As Rich mentioned earlier, the Servicemen who hold there hand out wanting things are generally considered douches by fellow service members.
    Wanted to respond to this and Rich's reply to my post. Glad to see that type of serviceman is reviled within the military. I know my experiences with them are anecdotal and I certainly don't think all of them act the way I've seen the ones in this area act, but it's tiresome to see and it just makes it easy to stereotype. No offense intended by my earlier post. I don't hold members of the military in higher esteem than I do other workers that are essential to society's functions, but I certainly don't disrespect them either.

I think my comment sparked a lot of this hatred, and I am sorry for that. I just wanted to understand WHY some people view military personnel above others. There have been some good responses, so thank you.

Personally, I think there is too much money wasted (in the UK at least) on the forces. I don't believe we need 100,000 people being paid to "keep our country safe". The reserves are a nice idea, and as I understand it they only get called in when they are needed.

There is no MOST important job in our society, we need all of them to function. (and going on the basis of needs, the forces would be quite low down on the list). A lot of people go to the Army if they have nothing else they can do, which is not very honorable in my books. I have thought about signing up myself, but I disagree with what the Army does so I didn't.

The reason why I raised the point about farmers is because it is a 24/7 365 days a year job. Full on manual labour, no holidays, poor money, high danger and unpredictable. I think the Army would be way easier than farming.

I don't believe the BLS data includes overseas deaths, and therefore shouldn't be used as an accurate measure of military fatality rates. On top of which, of the deaths that occurs in the military in the states I don't believe it seperates those from other government deaths but instead lumps them together which would distort the rate for gov't fatalities.

Further, the fatality rate wouldn't included the number of people wounded, which is a about 10 times the number of fatalities, and wouldn't break it down within job in the military. The actual fatality/casualty rate for infantry is obviously going to be much larger than it would for an accountant within the military.

kinda late here, and i see that guy was banned...but don't assume all military are like the OP lol. The way he was talking id really be surprised if he was even ever deployed to a dangerous zone...(coming from someone thats been deployed to a dangerous zone).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping View Post
    The reason why I raised the point about farmers is because it is a 24/7 365 days a year job. Full on manual labour, no holidays, poor money, high danger and unpredictable. I think the Army would be way easier than farming.
    without getting arrogant like the OP...lets just agree to disagree because obviously people dont know all the facts of each others jobs lol.

- - - Updated - - -

first off, holy shit! what is up with that page. Every time i clicked next, Adblock blocked 10 popups lol. Second, im pretty sure tower climbers are still the most dangerous job. I know back in 2010 it was, safety has gotten better in the field though.

Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    Wanted to respond to this and Rich's reply to my post. Glad to see that type of serviceman is reviled within the military. I know my experiences with them are anecdotal and I certainly don't think all of them act the way I've seen the ones in this area act, but it's tiresome to see and it just makes it easy to stereotype. No offense intended by my earlier post. I don't hold members of the military in higher esteem than I do other workers that are essential to society's functions, but I certainly don't disrespect them either.
    It's all good man, typically its the new soldiers that really act douchey in public. Most of the veterans that have deployed and been in the service for more than 5 minutes don't necessarily like special treatment, we kinda miss being normal.

Although, I won't lie, the uniform has helped me get laid on more than a few occasions, can't knock me for using that to my advantage though.

- - - Updated - - -

I think my comment sparked a lot of this hatred, and I am sorry for that. I just wanted to understand WHY some people view military personnel above others. There have been some good responses, so thank you.

Personally, I think there is too much money wasted (in the UK at least) on the forces. I don't believe we need 100,000 people being paid to "keep our country safe". The reserves are a nice idea, and as I understand it they only get called in when they are needed.

There is no MOST important job in our society, we need all of them to function. (and going on the basis of needs, the forces would be quite low down on the list). A lot of people go to the Army if they have nothing else they can do, which is not very honorable in my books. I have thought about signing up myself, but I disagree with what the Army does so I didn't.

There are more uses for having a strong military than just direct physical safety.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account

I have a real close friend who owns a farm. From about now till roughly June he'll put in about 8 hrs a day getting stuff ready. No major hard work. From about June to end of July he will BUST his ass....literally. Dude puts in about 16hr days 7 days a week until about end of July. But he's mostly driving a tractor. Then from Aug to about Oct/Nov it's cleanup, fixup, and storeup as he calls it. Fixes things and prepares for next year. Then from about Nov until about March/April he takes time off. Hardly doing anything. He says my time in Desert Storm is a LOT more hassle. Like he stated "I don't have to worry about my corn blowing in my face cause I'm an Infidel Farmer" as he chuckles.

"I hire people every year praying to God they know what to do. That they are prepared for this hard 2 months work coming up."

I reply "Yea I see that point cause in the Military you KNOW you're in good hands. You've been trained as a Team and know that the guy next to you has been trained the same way and to do the same things"

"Yea, the kid I hire this year might blow one of my transmissions I just had rebuilt" he laughs.

I love my friend and respect what he does. By the same token he keeps bringing me free food from his farm in gratitude for my service. I keep telling him to donate it to the Wounded Warriors instead of me because THEY are the true Hero's. I just did a job and came home, they sacrificed much more than me."