Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    I am just giving out ideas really. How about we merge the best parts of all 3 into 1 so we can have a useful tier. Or make each one baseline for a spec and add enhancements to them through talents.

Empowered Runes - Every time a rune is spent that has been effected by a type of rune regeneration (BT, RE, RC) the ability used grants double runic power this effect can only occur once every 5 seconds.

Runic Salvation - Whenever all your runes are on cool down you regenerate 2% of your max HP per second for 3 seconds.

Runes of Desolation - When you cast Obliterate, Death Strike or Festering Strike you gain a 1% Shadowfrost damage increase stacking up to 5 times. This effect lasts 8 seconds.

Something like that could work really well, still needs tuning, but is a lot more flavorful that the choices we get now.

Why would 2 give damage and 1 give healing? Thats the wierd untidy way death knight talents are now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Challenge View Post
    Why would 2 give damage and 1 give healing? Thats the wierd untidy way death knight talents are now though.
    A PvP and Tank option, or a solo option.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I am just giving out ideas really. How about we merge the best parts of all 3 into 1 so we can have a useful tier. Or make each one baseline for a spec and add enhancements to them through talents.

Empowered Runes - Every time a rune is spent that has been effected by a type of rune regeneration (BT, RE, RC) the ability used grants double runic power this effect can only occur once every 5 seconds.

Runic Salvation - Whenever all your runes are on cool down you regenerate 2% of your max HP per second for 3 seconds.

Runes of Desolation - When you cast Obliterate, Death Strike or Festering Strike you gain a 1% Shadowfrost damage increase stacking up to 5 times. This effect lasts 8 seconds.

Something like that could work really well, still needs tuning, but is a lot more flavorful that the choices we get now.
    I don't think that would "work really well".
    First of all, in a PvE situation, Runic Salvation would be straight out on every encounter for dps.
    Blood also wouldn't take it, since periodic healing isn't really something you need as a tank since you rather need burst healing (yes, even with the WoD changes)
    Runes of Desolation would be useless for 2h and blood, leaving them with only Empowered Runes as a viable option.

When designing talents, you can't only consider PvP, or only one spec, or nothing at all or else we end up with the same problems we started with.

Also it's possible to make every talent in that row valuable with only slight adjustments

BT as is, with a 0.5s gcd
    RC as is
    RE could instead make your next DS,OB or FeS free (about the same proc chance as now, since although it does "generate" 2 runes, you are fixed in what you spend them on and free abilities don't generate RP. Also All specs gain about the same amount out of it, blood maybe more than the others)

BAM, no huge changes, all talents are different, balance can occur by adjusting the proc rates of RC and RE
    Last edited by mmoc16149473f9; 2014-05-12 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    A PvP and Tank option, or a solo option.
    So you'd be shoehorn again into one?

Like how pvp you are forced to really take blood tap now, or blood tanks are pretty much needed to take purgatory for progression? Not really options

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Heh, prepare to be sad, my friend.

On the bright side, it's not like it's the 5.x mage L90 talents. It doesn't make me want to cut myself. I don't actively hate it, it's just a waste of a tier.
    It's actually closer to the mage bomb tier imo. And they changed that, they should change this.

Not at all. Mages had a meaningful choice in that tier, depending on the number of AE targets. Each bomb played differently; they had different durations, one was limited to 3 targets but had a 1.0s GCD to quickly multiDoT, one had a cast time and a delayed explosion which meant it wasn't really a DoT at all, and one offered constant cleave. Frost Bomb had a neat interaction with Ice Ward too. They also had different animations and graphics; they looked cool. They each had a cool theme aligned to one of their specializations, but worked fine in all 3 mage specs. All 3 talents were used across the entire expansion, all for different situations. Very successful tier. We should be so lucky to get a tier like that. Rune regen talents offer none of that stuff.

Really, the only similarity between the mage bomb tier and our rune regen tier is that many players weren't enthusiastic about them. For mages, that was because their class historically didn't use DoTs and they felt it didn't fit the kit. For DKs it's because they aren't a meaningful choice; our rune regen talents all offer nearly identical performance and are all essentially passive, zero gameplay. They have no cool interactions with other talents/abilities and no graphics, unless you count macroed Blood Tap making you stutter around like an epileptic robot some jerk tween asked to divide by 0.

I certainly think DKs have a stronger argument for changing rune regen than mages did for magebombs. You wouldn't have to go far to find a mage to disagree, though, I'm sure.

On the other hand, the L90 mage talents were an abomination. They deserved change more than anything else this expansion.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2014-05-13 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Challenge View Post
    So you'd be shoehorn again into one?

Like how pvp you are forced to really take blood tap now, or blood tanks are pretty much needed to take purgatory for progression? Not really options
    Well it would all need re-iteration it is just some ideas. No one person could possibly think up all the talents, they have a team of people who work on them.