Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Exclamation Are Mages considered easy? (PVP)

I have most classes at max level, and recently been focusing on a Monk in arena's, however I don't enjoy playing Monks as much because of their unreliable burst and lack of sustained CC.

One class I've never liked the look of is Mages, purely because they look too easy.

Surely deepfreezing, then spaming frostbolt and icelance is just an easy, yet boring style of gameplay?

Same reason I don't play Hunter's anymore...

So, are Mages easy to play in Arenas/RBGs?

Deleted
    Totally. I did one arena, 'spammed frost bolt and icelance' and accidentally gladiator.

Deleted
    Serious replies would be appreciated winst...

This thread is dangerously close to being locked just due to this topic alone, keep replies civil and informative.

There is more to a class then spamming frostbolt and ice lance. This might work up to like 1200 mmr. Go in a 2k rating and you wont say the same :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by voltaa View Post
    This thread is dangerously close to being locked just due to this topic alone, keep replies civil and informative.
    What? Are you kidding lol?

I'm not stating Mages are easy, I'm asking if they are. For example, everyone knows Hunters are one of the easiest classes to play, and Mages just seem pretty easy too. I could be wrong though. Thats why I made the post.

Mages, especially frost have great burst, excellent cc and good survivability. I would not say it is easy to play because in PVP the level of difficulty for each fight is mostly adjusted by the level of your opponent's skill.
    Fire is harder than frost to play because it is more rng reliable and the skill required to play it eficiently in high rankings is much more important than frost.
    But in general, nothing is easy in PVP. Everything is about skills(if gear is equal) with a portion of luck.
    That is my personal opinion.

Deleted
    I have had a Mage since Vanilla but never really used it for PvP, my feral has always been my PvPer. Recently I decided to try and get into PvP with my Mage because I thought it looked fun and relatively easy to do.

I have to say in my experience I find PvP as a Mage really hard. I think the fact I am so used to playing melee in PvP is a factor but nevertheless I get owned a lot on my Mage.

Melee stick to me like glue, hunters just annihilate me and other casters are a challenge. I have no doubt I am not playing correctly, but to say I find it challenging is an understatement.

Mages are obviously very good in PvP, I watch some streams of high rated Mages and they make it look so easy. In practice it isn't (in my experience at least)!

Deleted
    Yea, reroll mage, free glad instantly. Like, literally, all you do is:

Bind deepfreeze to 1.
    Bind ice lance to 2.
    Bind frostbolt to 3.

Now, to get gladiator, you need to first: press 1, then press a lot of 2 and 3. BOOM GLADIATOR.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmagoz View Post
    Yea, reroll mage, free glad instantly. Like, literally, all you do is:

Bind deepfreeze to 1.
    Bind ice lance to 2.
    Bind frostbolt to 3.

Now, to get gladiator, you need to first: press 1, then press a lot of 2 and 3. BOOM GLADIATOR.
    Or go 25k mastery arcane. You can remove button 3 from your rotation. Enjoy.

Is DK too easy in PVP? Surely spamming necrotic and death grip is just an easy, yet boring style of gameplay?

Is warrior too easy in PVP? Surely spamming charge and bladestorm is just an easy, yet boring style of gameplay?

etc
    etc
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Deleted
    Its always depressing to see people right stupid and comments which serve no purpose when people are trying to get advice!

In terms of mage, it depends on what rating you are talking about. For instance, RBGs any class is good with good gear and a decent team backing them up. At the forefront, mages do seem an easy class- wow, freeze target and crit for bit numbers, removing a large chunk of the enemies health.... but take into account arenas vs good players and its a whole different ballgame!

Once your Def cds are down your pretty much dead. I guess the skill of a mage comes from knowing when to burst and trying to bait the other players cds and trinket. Remember that with a mage you are required to cc a huge amount as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by voltaa View Post
    Why on Earth would the thread be closed just because of it's topic?!

OT: I haven't been playing for the past two years but I don't think mages are easy to play. It's not just about spamming frostbolt, I guess. It's to know when to CC, when to pop CDs, when and how to play defensive, positioning etc...
    Just my thoughts, though. But I guess that goes for a lot of classes so /shrug :/
    And even though it's reached new heights, I rather like the restless nights. It makes me wonder, makes me think there's more to this, I'm on the brink. It's not the fear of what's beyond, it's just that I might not respond! I have an interest, almost craving, would I like to get to far in?!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxerlol View Post
    Its always depressing to see people right stupid and comments which serve no purpose when people are trying to get advice!

In terms of mage, it depends on what rating you are talking about. For instance, RBGs any class is good with good gear and a decent team backing them up. At the forefront, mages do seem an easy class- wow, freeze target and crit for bit numbers, removing a large chunk of the enemies health.... but take into account arenas vs good players and its a whole different ballgame!

Once your Def cds are down your pretty much dead. I guess the skill of a mage comes from knowing when to burst and trying to bait the other players cds and trinket. Remember that with a mage you are required to cc a huge amount as well.
    It's because the topic is pointless. First of all, "easy" is a relative term, what's easy for a rank 1 gladiator is hard for a 1500 MMR guy. Secondly, the OP is clearly trollbaiting. "isnt it just easy only using ice lance and frostbolt" is the same as saying "arent shamans easy, just press lightning bolt and hex!" or "warriors so easy, just press bladestorm to win" or rogues "just press sinister strike, gg easy".

Depends ur skill level as player.I was playing mage untill the start of wrath,2,2k exp.Played again in mop 2 seasons ago,i managed to get to 2k rating pretty easily with a war friend and a druid healer,i was almost full honor gear,but the synergy of the combo and the old mastery + the insane war dmg made it pretty easy.Yet again u will meet ppl who are stack at 1,5k rating for the same reason,they lack awareness/skill etc etc.
    So its up to the player tbh

PvP since cataclysm has been a mess that no one takes seriously. Referring to pvp prior to this, no mages weren't easy. Mage and rogue have always been the highest skillcap pvp classes.

RBGs don't take skill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Mage and rogue have always been the highest skillcap pvp classes.
    I'd agree with this. That's why RMP with enough skill always dominated in arenas. And I'd guess they still do.
    And even though it's reached new heights, I rather like the restless nights. It makes me wonder, makes me think there's more to this, I'm on the brink. It's not the fear of what's beyond, it's just that I might not respond! I have an interest, almost craving, would I like to get to far in?!

I played a mage to around 2k rbg and arena. I found them not to be extremely difficult in RBG's, simply because you can cast from a safe distance and not a lot of melee's can sit on you without overextending too heavily (this is the case for most ranged classes in RBG's though, which is also the reason ranged is dominant in RBG's).

Arena is a whole different ballgame though. I haven't played since s13-14, but when I played frost mage then, comps like priest/hunter/x comps (mostly rogue or DK) were very popular. And I can tell you that pressuring, pulling of your combo's and CC'ing is a whole lot harder when you have a hunter, 1-5 pets and a rogue/DK riding your *** (excuse the language). You have to juke around 3 interupts to get a sheep off and that doesn't even count stuns and other ways to stop your casting. Your positioning must be good compared to your healer or the constant damage will take you down in a few seconds. Basically, you are feeling ok when your iceblock is up, but the second it is on CD things become really scary.

I am not judging on what is easy or hard by the way, just trying to put it into perspective. Mages are very strong 1v1 or as backline nukers. But even with blink and iceblock, I have found that they are harder to play with getting trained.

Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    why on earth would the thread be closed just because of it's topic?!
    don't question the mods!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Dentchi View Post
    I have most classes at max level, and recently been focusing on a Monk in arena's, however I don't enjoy playing Monks as much because of their unreliable burst and lack of sustained CC.

One class I've never liked the look of is Mages, purely because they look too easy.

Surely deepfreezing, then spaming frostbolt and icelance is just an easy, yet boring style of gameplay?

Same reason I don't play Hunter's anymore...

So, are Mages easy to play in Arenas/RBGs?
    Mages aren't easy, not at higher ratings. Almost everyone knows how to counter them, they're vulnerable to dispels, and you can quickly burn through their defensives if you train them. Mages are made to look easy at lower ratings, when opponents cannot deal with the cc. That said, mage is made harder to play if, like most people, you play it super offensive without regard for los or positioning, because you WILL get caught w your pants down. No clothie nowadays has the ability to face tank melee, so learning when to step back and where to step back to is the first rung on the ladder to getting good.

And here's the reply most people were dying to give you, btw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CC5X-HvYPE