Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Healing: Grid vs VuhDo vs Default Raid Frames

Hi everyone, being a DPS I've never really felt the need for any raid frame addons ever since blizzard introduced their improved raid frames back in Cata prepatch.

I'm starting to consider the fact that I might want to start healing in PvE for the first time as a new way to look at the game, I've healed quite a bit in Arenas as a Priest and Druid, but never in Raids (a part from LFR but I woudn't call that Raiding).

I know most Healers use Grid or Vuhdo, and I know some also use the default blizz frames so my question is this: what are the pros and cons of these addons and the default frames? any suggestions on what I should use?

I much prefer default raid frames over Grid of VuhDo. They are much easier for me to work with.
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Are you really looking for logic in a game that sends you dragons via the mail service?...

Grid2 is the most customizable IMO. Its also very easy to import/export profiles.
    Default Blizzard frames are actually decent for healing if you are not playing at a high level. (i.e your guild is not 14/14hc by this time)
    If you really want to be a higher evel healer obviously Blizzard default frames do not cut it all, there is just too much information missing from them and are not customizable enough.
    www.twitch.tv/xchrispottertvx
    Officer in the World First Guild Method.
    We are recruiting any exceptional players who want to play at a World first level.
    www.method.gg
    Currently playing healer (Resto Druid main).

If you can be bothered to make some simple mouseover macros then the default frames work fine and you'll never have to worry about changing minute details for specific fights. (Malkorok shields for example)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrispotter View Post
    Default Blizzard frames are actually decent for healing if you are not playing at a high level. (i.e your guild is not 14/14hc by this time)
    If you really want to be a higher evel healer obviously Blizzard default frames do not cut it all, there is just too much information missing from them and are not customizable enough.
    I will be most likely raiding in my guild's Alt Run that is just starting heroics, regardless of difficulty I have no interest in being mediocre, so please could you go on about the information that is missing?

I will probably raid with a Resto Shaman if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispotter View Post
    Grid2 is the most customizable IMO. Its also very easy to import/export profiles.
    What information is not available on default frames?
    Are you really looking for logic in a game that sends you dragons via the mail service?...

Quote Originally Posted by DPA View Post
    I much prefer default raid frames over Grid of VuhDo. They are much easier for me to work with.
    Agreed. I've healed off and on the last 3 expacs and I've never thought either added much value. It seems like it would be faster I guess, but I never struggled to heal, so I don't see the point in learning a bunch of new keybinds and forcing it.

The default works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post
    I don't see the point in learning a bunch of new keybinds and forcing it.
    raid-frame addons don't require a new set of keybinds...

On default frames I can see:

Deaths
    Health missing
    Range/out of range
    Who has aggro
    Who got incoming heals
    Shields applied to people
    Personal buffs and debuffs
    Dispelable debuffs
    Other important debuffs.

What more do I need?
    I'm curious to see what a warlock is going to teach me on healing.

On default frames I can see:

Deaths
    Health missing
    Range/out of range
    Who has aggro
    Who got incoming heals
    Shields applied to people
    Personal buffs and debuffs
    Dispelable debuffs
    Other important debuffs.

What more do I need?
    I'm curious to see what a warlock is going to teach me on healing.
    Can you link to us your current progression and character armory, then? Just so we know this advice is coming from a player who has actually raided at a semi-decent level.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

I have a hard time believing a disc priest with that sort of gear and progression not only uses the default blizzard raid frames to heal, but also asks in priest forums whether Multistrike or Cleave trinket is better for a disc priest, but I guess benefit of the doubt and all.

Oh, and also the thread asking whether you should use Holy Fire if Mindbender is slotted.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Can you link to us your current progression and character armory, then? Just so we know this advice is coming from a player who has actually raided at a semi-decent level.
    He could be world 1st or still waiting to get his first LFR kill and it doesn't devalue that question. Plenty of people use the default raid frames now, they have fixed many issues and added other features to it. There are few things it can't do that you might want.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    He could be world 1st or still waiting to get his first LFR kill and it doesn't devalue that question. Plenty of people use the default raid frames now, they have fixed many issues and added other features to it. There are few things it can't do that you might want.
    Hmm, that would be because I really want to know if there are "world-best" healers who can heal progression with default raid frames, then I could actually learn a bit from them.

P.S. It wouldn't devalue any question, because there is no question. What would be devalued would be his testimony, because healing at higher tiers generally require a solid, intuitive and easily readable UI, which includes raid frames.
    Last edited by PosPosPos; 2014-03-16 at 03:42 PM.

Deleted
    I am a bit of a tinkerer so I love VuhDo.

Very very customisable.

Deleted
    So it seems like the question everyone is asking is: what information are you missing out on if you use the default Blizzard Raid Frames?

I'm very interested in this because if there is indeed information missing I will use Grid or Vuhdo.

Hmm, that would be because I really want to know if there are "world-best" healers who can heal progression with default raid frames, then I could actually learn a bit from them.

P.S. It wouldn't devalue any question, because there is no question. What would be devalued would be his testimony, because healing at higher tiers generally require a solid, intuitive and easily readable UI, which includes raid frames.
    I am not personally one of these healers, but if you want evidence, check my guild. Game Over on Proudmoore. They rank consistently, which is more than enough proof of quality for anyone who isn't just a Nay-sayer. And, a question does not obtain value from whether it is proposed by an influential or well achieved person, but by the basis in it's inquiry towards the proposed subject. I would suggest being less apt to toss disbelief at a hats drop vs. weighing things with measure. Now, as far as add ons for healing, I use the stock raid frames with mouse over and alt macro's, and have yet to find a situation I cant handle, but I also use dominoes for greatly expanded bars. To compare I suggest going to a website or two such as Curse to view screenshots and description of these different frame styles, because it is your taste that will discern if something works better for you, not some elitists opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Raid frames does not a good healer make.

You can use any raid frames and still perform well, specially if you have and know how to configure Weak Auras - it can display any information you want.

Sure you can question my credibility. However I still see severe lack of arguments that is pro-addons for healing frames.

So far you provided nothing useful to this thread.

Asking for peoples opinions on trinket choices from what's currently obtained (instead of a BiS list that can be found anywhere?) And their opinion on management of mana, is bad? In that case, why are you even using a forum? I guess we're all bad.

Jealousy makes you a sad person.

Deleted
    Another addon you could take a look at is HealBot. I can't compare it to VuhDo or Grid, but I certainly prefer it to the default raid frames personally, since the mouse keybinds for my heals only take effect within the Healbot frame itself and not to the rest of the game.

There's no single "best" healing addon to use, just whatever you find most natural and intuitive for your play style. I've been using Healbot since 2007, so whenever I try using the default raidframes it feels clunky/unintuitive.