Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Best way to find social interaction in WoW today?

I've always played MMORPG's, specifically WoW, for the player interaction, but somewhere along the line I fell into the "it's easier just to do everything myself and not really be a part of a close guild" because I took breaks and Blizzard heavily re-designed the game that way.

As the game is currently, pretty much 99% of the total content can be done without any or very little social interaction with other players at all. (The few aspects of the game that I can think of that foster player interaction are CM's, Normal mode raiding, and Heroic mode raiding -- everything else seems to be largely single-player oriented, even if your party member slots are filled with other players. I exclude all PvP because I don't play or enjoy that part of the game.)

So, I guess my question is this: With Blizzard making massive moves this xpac that are likely to continue into the future that further the precedent they set in MoP and Cata (that only normal and heroic raiding and CMs require any real group interaction), what is the best way for one to find themselves a decent group of players to play with that are also into the social aspect of the game? Is the only way to do that these days via raiding? Any advice or comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Deleted
    post on realm forums
    find a decent guild
    talk in guildchat.

there is no hope for social interaction after lfr, lfg and more craptools for the casuals

If you have the gear for it pug. Hope you get into a guild group that is in need of one or two players. If you enjoy them and they like you, try to get in with em. There are decent players who are into the social aspect. By that I mean that they socialize amongst the guild members and chat. Sadly, and this is my experience, most guilds that are too into the social aspect lack the skill to get really far into raids at a fast pace. My friend was in a guild like that and my first guild was like that. My friend was still progressing in Mogu shan vaults during late ToT. Not even terrace or heart. My first guild was very social, but couldn't build a raid team even. The reason they get like that is because everyone is into the social, friendly aspect. Therefore they do not really want to boot anyone who may be under performing.

A good mix is out there I'm sure. My current guild is great for that, although we had serious recruitment issues through out MoP. Just have gear and pug. Other then that once you have the experience you might be able to find one, but you wouldn't really know how they are socially before hand.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hypetrain View Post
    there is no hope for social interaction after lfr, lfg and more craptools for the casuals
    I'm sorry but this is just flat out wrong. When I play in LFR on an alt, if I do, there is always social interaction to be had. More so in the LFG since its only five people. Ive met some really nice people that way. LFR and LFG are great social interaction tools, if you are willing to start it up and not just sit there QQing that no one is talking.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    i find myself in the same boat as you, i play solo these days because the friends i started with have left the game.
    or they aren't online when i am.
    the only thing i can think of, is to ask in chat, if there are any people who want to play through the game in a levelling or questing group.
    at present, because i find myself alone all the time, i don't play wow as i have all my toons at level 90 and i can't be bothered going to another realm to level a toon.

You talk to people on the basis that you're not all a bunch of (insert self-derogatory remark here).

Heck the other day my realm's trade chat subject spoke at length about how to cook a salmon. It wasn't a joke or anything, and people were remarkably helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    If you have the gear for it pug. Hope you get into a guild group that is in need of one or two players. If you enjoy them and they like you, try to get in with em. There are decent players who are into the social aspect. By that I mean that they socialize amongst the guild members and chat. Sadly, and this is my experience, most guilds that are too into the social aspect lack the skill to get really far into raids at a fast pace. My friend was in a guild like that and my first guild was like that. My friend was still progressing in Mogu shan vaults during late ToT. Not even terrace or heart. My first guild was very social, but couldn't build a raid team even. The reason they get like that is because everyone is into the social, friendly aspect. Therefore they do not really want to boot anyone who may be under performing.

A good mix is out there I'm sure. My current guild is great for that, although we had serious recruitment issues through out MoP. Just have gear and pug. Other then that once you have the experience you might be able to find one, but you wouldn't really know how they are socially before hand.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry but this is just flat out wrong. When I play in LFR on an alt, if I do, there is always social interaction to be had. More so in the LFG since its only five people. Ive met some really nice people that way. LFR and LFG are great social interaction tools, if you are willing to start it up and not just sit there QQing that no one is talking.
    Well, yes, that's kinda what I was asking for feedback on. Is it your experience that the only social aspect of the game these days is found via the higher raid formats (those without queue features -- Normal and Heroic)? I know well that guilds that are too social can lack progression, but I've always still found those to be only in the raiding sphere. Everything below seems to be mass-invite guilds with dead guildchat and zero vent/teamspeak interaction.

Edit: I don't really qualify LFR in what I'm asking or seeking as those connections seem to be fleeting at best and insulting at worst. I mean, yes, I can randomly spout whatever to someone in trade chat and spark a conversation, but that's not what I'm really getting at with my question. Sorry if that wasn't very clear.
    Last edited by Computed Lamb; 2014-04-18 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Computed Lamb View Post
    Well, yes, that's kinda what I was asking for feedback on. Is it your experience that the only social aspect of the game these days is found via the higher raid formats (those without queue features -- Normal and Heroic)? I know well that guilds that are too social can lack progression, but I've always still found those to be only in the raiding sphere. Everything below seems to be mass-invite guilds with dead guildchat and zero vent/teamspeak interaction.
    Most of those mass invite guilds are nothing more then someone using people to level the guild for them that they will then either sell off or use the cash flow from. Or sometimes a guild to help levelers. Like I said, there is a social aspect in LFR / LFG. You just have to be willing to be chatty. If you want good friends you might find them there too at times. Just gotta put yourself out there. I don't normally do that and my guild chat is dead most of the time. However, during raid nights in vent its pretty fun. Progression can kill the social fun for a bit, but only because everyone is frustrated. You can be social doing anything provided others are wanting to be social back. If you are looking for a permanent social guild, just gotta try em. Won't know how a guild is socially until you are in and around enough to really see.

As mentioned above LFD and LFR tools have sort of killed socializing in WoW. It's more than that though, the removal of anything that requires a group (elite mobs, tough quests, attunement chains, etc) means that we no longer have to interact with players.

Once upon a time if you met a player who was friendly and capable in a dungeon or doing a quest, you'd friend each other so that next time you needed help you could call on that person and maybe they'd be free to help again. WoW was very different back then, it lacked many of the quality of life changes we have today (dual spec, the range of abilities, flying mounts, guides for overcoming every challenge etc) and was generally a lot tougher (elite mobs, large packs of mobs, quests at the end of a dungeon which you had to find a group for, no LFD tool). You had to play well and play nice to make friends, because friends were the only way you were going to accomplish a great many things.

Fast forward to recent years, and the removal of elite mobs, the LFD/LFR tools, dual spec etc have basically meant that the game can be played solo. You do not need anyone anymore and as a result people don't always try to play nice and they don't always try to play well. They're playing a solo game, WoW is a universe that exists solely for them and they deserve everything they can get with the minimum effort.

That said it's still possible to make friends, I still friend capable friendly players on my server all the time, especially PvPers who are always looking for capable players to form premades and do RBGs with. But there is more of an effort to be made and less of a need because the game no longer requires friendships to overcome content. Guilds are the last remaining bastion really and in time I don't wonder if some of the recent changes (being able to raid with RealID friends) won't wear even those down.

It's sad but all of the changes that Blizzard have made have been more than QoL, they've removed the need for friendships. I'm pretty sure they could undo the damage but there would be a painful transition for many players who don't want to make friends and would rather be anonymous, carried and rude.

I met a lot of awesome people while farming shaohao rep :P We were chatting non-stop so the farming process wasn't really boring :P

find a decent guild
    talk in guildchat.
    This times 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Once upon a time if you met a player who was friendly and capable in a dungeon or doing a quest, you'd friend each other so that next time you needed help you could call on that person and maybe they'd be free to help again. WoW was very different back then, it lacked many of the quality of life changes we have today (dual spec, the range of abilities, flying mounts, guides for overcoming every challenge etc) and was generally a lot tougher (elite mobs, large packs of mobs, quests at the end of a dungeon which you had to find a group for, no LFD tool). You had to play well and play nice to make friends, because friends were the only way you were going to accomplish a great many things.
    Yes, I remember not raiding at all in TBC but having an extensive friends list that I would connect with regularly via in-game chat and vent to run heroics. People who grouped well together before tended to group together again and thus, friendships and social interaction would be formed. As the game has progressed, however, and because I've taken many breaks (but I'm still up-to-date on what's going on in the expansions -- ex: I played through them all, but I'm on break right now) I have trouble seeing where these types of friendships and connections can be formed outside of CM's, Normal and Heroic raiding.

For example, my last play through with MoP and DS, because of the design of the game, I basically just played solo until I couldn't progress any further. Like, with DS, I would get a character in full LFR gear, then start another. My time in MoP has shown much of the same as I've done very little organized raiding because I haven't really met anyone along my journey. Playing single player with little reason or incentive to get to know players, like I did with Dragon Soul and pretty much all of MoP, isn't compelling enough gameplay for me. I want to meet people, group with them repeatedly, and actually get to know them... you know, like traditional MMORPGs. But, what I'm seeing is that the only way this is possible is in the 1% of content (CM's, Normal and Heroic raids), and I don't see Blizzard changing this format anytime soon. Is what I'm seeing correct, or am I missing other parts of the game?
    Last edited by Computed Lamb; 2014-04-18 at 10:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    post on realm forums
    find a decent guild
    talk in guildchat.

x2.

Even if you aren't into raiding, there are tons of social guilds out there that you can join. You just have to look for them.

Deleted
    Be a girl

Annouce it in /2

Deleted
    Community will never be the thing, as long as tools like LFR/LFD and LF-everything exist.

Get rid of them = community's back

Quote Originally Posted by z4x View Post
    Community will never be the thing, as long as tools like LFR/LFD and LF-everything exist.

Get rid of them = community's back
    I think we all know they are here to stay, but how does one find the socialization and connection besides? Is it only in those groups interested in Normal/Heroic raiding and CM's? Is there any other way to connect with players on a meaningful level in WoW? I can't seem to find any, but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

I think we all know they are here to stay, but how does one find the socialization and connection besides? Is it only in those groups interested in Normal/Heroic raiding and CM's? Is there any other way to connect with players on a meaningful level in WoW? I can't seem to find any, but I'm hoping I'm wrong.
    So you are basically looking for group content other than 5-man CM and raids? That disappeared mid-TBC when they nerfed group quests and removed elites for quest zones. WotLK put the big nail in the coffin with LFD, making raiding the only social part. End of Cata introduced LFR, which impacted social raiding. MoP tried to resurrect 5-man socialization with CM, but was not very successful.

That being said, what kind of social interaction are you looking for - if you do not want to do end game stuff?
    Last edited by yjmark; 2014-04-18 at 11:29 AM.

Deleted
    When I came back roughly half a year ago, I guess I had the same question in mind.

I'm quite the inquisitive soul, so I set out to find out, for science, I guess. Nah jk I was lonely as fk.

So, there you go, I was back, at that time, only one contact was still alive and kicking, the one that dragged me back in the game basically with a scroll of rez. I had no guild, it was that 7 day trial for getting rezzed.

I've no guild, but he was in an RP guild, me being on an RP server.

Got along pretty well with them. I wasn't much in the way of RP, since I was mostly some crazy PvP-er, always found RP awfully slow and boring, though I love lore and stuff like that.

However that wasn't a big deal. Went in some dungeons and raids with them to help them with the RP loot, did some jolly co-operation, decided it's actually very nice to assist them whenever they asked.

I also have this policy of expecting nothing in return. Hmm though I wonder if deep inside it's all true or not. I enjoy the company, and I also get to know them better. Hmm, information is a valuable commodity I suppose... Though it comes by default, rather than expected.

Did dungeons as alts too, went in some less accessible Cata raids, did PvP togeter, in the end I'm pretty close with most guildies, I don't play right now, but we still talk. I guess doing content together helps with bonding.

Later, I sent my bank-alt DK in a raiding guild as I wanted to see MoP content.

I suppose it's the same story over there. Some ppl seemed like fun, we did some alt runs and real-ID adding, some random PvP. Hell I don't even care about rating these days, it was still hilarious.

Also, another thing I did, was while running around Shine of Moon Moon, I'd see some random ppl idling a lot. Or running around like I did. I randomly whispered them, never knew I had the balls for that, I'd die if I did that IRL. It kinda worked though it takes forever for me to think up a pretext and stop it from being awkward. 2vs2, he;s flagged, BG's! ICC25! Ended up with some on Real ID. I rarely Real ID.

So, that's how MoP was oddly social for me. With some I still talk on Skypes and stuff, since I don't play anymore.

Also, look back how you met your other WoW buddies. You need to do some things to trigger some circumstances and pull off a justification/pretext to engage in jolly co-operation.
    And then you must be the cuddly pixelbundle everybody likes to be with and cuddle, not just some acquaintance. I guess friendship is what your goal is too, uh?

I really hope all this data helps! Guess we could've tried some random BG or stuff while you're here, but I don't play, not until WoD, so no point in giving ID. Also I'm EU. Though if you're same zone, and here, and looking for company, guess you active guys could PM each other some tags? Touch summoning signs, do jolly cooperation!

I think the common misconception about the socialization in WoW is that it is changes to the game that have sparked these shifts in the social aspects. While certainly changes to the game and tools like LFD/LFR have had an impact, the players themselves (not just WoW players, but online gamers in general) have evolved dramatically over the last decade. The causality isn't so clearly defined. Blizzard didn't just redesign the game to force players to change, but rather many of the changes made have been in response to the changing player base.

The way to socially interact with people in WoW these days is to be more outgoing. The implementation of the battle tag system, combined with cross-server group functionality, allows you to maintain a more meaningful connection to other players than ever before. You just have to actively socialize instead of waiting for a forced guild requirement to do it for you. In the current iteration of wow social structure, I find that I have fewer friends, but infinitely better friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Lubricious View Post
    The way to socially interact with people in WoW these days is to be more outgoing. The implementation of the battle tag system, combined with cross-server group functionality, allows you to maintain a more meaningful connection to other players than ever before. You just have to actively socialize instead of waiting for a forced guild requirement to do it for you. In the current iteration of wow social structure, I find that I have fewer friends, but infinitely better friends.
    Well, isn't that kinda an oxy-moron? You have to go more out of your way to meet people because the game design has made it less of an issue/requirement? I'm personally a fan of MMORPG elements in games that require group cooperation and prolonged exposure to other players to complete said and future tasks.

I fell into the whole new WoW design where that's not an issue, even remotely, and that -- combined with my breaks during lulls in content -- has lead me to watching everyone I know leave the game for good. So, in trying to find those types of relationships renewed, is it correct that only CM's and Normal/Heroic raiding offer such things, while the rest of the game is what is appears to be (single player with people running around you)?

I ask for true representations of those that are currently playing because that's a big "fun" factor to me and I want to gauge how much work it's going to be to not only re-level a class, but get it raid ready, plus go through all the other stuff that comes with trying to find a legitimate group that you "mesh" with.

If there's no other game-inducing way to form relationships with players, the whole thing becomes a lot different then in times past (like TBC). At the moment, all I can see is with WoW is that if I'm not doing one of those 3 modes, I'm pretty much relegated to a single player game with people around me, unless I try to type my ass off in random group finder settings where people would rather pee on me than answer a newbie question.

Deleted
    I fell into the whole new WoW design where that's not an issue, even remotely, and that -- combined with my breaks during lulls in content -- has lead me to watching everyone I know leave the game for good. So, in trying to find those types of relationships renewed, is it correct that only CM's and Normal/Heroic raiding offer such things, while the rest of the game is what is appears to be (single player with people running around you)?

I ask for true representations of those that are currently playing because that's a big "fun" factor to me and I want to gauge how much work it's going to be to not only re-level a class, but get it raid ready, plus go through all the other stuff that comes with trying to find a legitimate group that you "mesh" with.

If there's no other game-inducing way to form relationships with players, the whole thing becomes a lot different then in times past (like TBC). At the moment, all I can see is with WoW is that if I'm not doing one of those 3 modes, I'm pretty much relegated to a single player game with people around me, unless I try to type my ass off in random group finder settings where people would rather pee on me than answer a newbie question.
    That, is exactly the thing. As ppl above said, it's very DIY to make friends. You need to go out looking for them. You feel like it'd be nice if someone came over and invited you.

Others also believe the same thing. If not, well screw'm, try again. They're a minority. x3