Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    As a blood DK i'm going to say DKs..

Sadly, the shockingly vast majority of DKs I meet are horrible, HORRIBLE players. I don't know why these players are drawn to DKs, probably the "hero class" thing.

In addition you can tank with a 2-hander, meaning a lot of people just go blood specc in their dps gear and think they're good to go.

10+ Year Old Account
    DKs. Just last week I was in a party with one who was tanking in Unholy Presence.

Monks suck. I have one of each tank and monks by far are the worst to play.

Deleted
    Hard pick between Monk and DK - DK's bad rap is slowly starting to fade, whilst monks gained a lot of hate in LFR being very squishy if played incorrectly.

Lot of FOTM prot warr rerollers in SoO, nowadays when playing healer in LFR I think most of the bad tanks are actually warriors spending all their rage on damage.

Deleted
    My Brewmaster Monk is 533 and only has about 500k HP, they're by far the hardest to tank with.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    DKs. Is this even a topic to discuss?
    In general and especially in raiding this is the right answer. However, in random 5 mans with bads the answer is Monk.

Brewmasters, an inexperienced brewmaster tank feels like a windwalker tanking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bahh, yep, it's blood elf death knights or tauren death knights.

I play a blood elf death knight and I like to think I'm helping shatter that stereotype. But for every heroic raider there's ten thousand LFR heroes and the statistics are against us.

Death knights are easy to fuck up. Definitely not hard to play once you get the hang of it. I think they're often poorly executed by the average guy because of three factors; firstly death knights lack a lot of passive mitigation other than avoidance which everyone has; the class is poorly explained in-game, especially in tooltips; and blood shields, while being an integral part of the spec, are not obvious to see (a fault of the blizz UI imo). That and everyone wants to roll a death knight because they start at 55 and they're evil undead badasses.

Monk tanks are my favorite tanks in the game. The problem is that idiots don't read tooltips, and end up spin kicking themselves to death.

That said, I wouldn't say Monks have the worst rep. A lot of people will help out a Monk if they're failing at their duties, because the userbase recognizes that they're tough to use. No, the most hated tanks are DKs and Druids.

10+ Year Old Account
    It use to be DKs. Now monks are clawing up there for bad rep. The idea of OMG NO SHIELD = NOT PROTECTING lurks within the judgement of some users. That and they're just stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

If we're talking full pants-on-head derp, Death Knight is probably the worst. Whilst I've only come across a few, Death Knights that don't use Death Strike are horrific to heal.

If we're talking about average players (say flex/normal), probably BrM Monk, they have a lot of active mitigation, but if it's not being used extensively, they do take quite a beating (especially since they don't have fantastic major CD's outside of magic reduction). Most BrM's in low-key PuGs don't keep up Shuffle, use Elusive Brew or bother dropping their Stagger, from that I usually sigh when I meet a PuG BrM monk.
    Last edited by Anzen; 2014-04-22 at 11:04 AM.

Blood Elf Male Death Knight with blonde Dragonball Z haircut sporting a name like "Arthazz"
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Blood Elf Male Death Knight with blonde Dragonball Z haircut sporting a name like "Arthazz"
    Blood Elf females are usually always worse players, regardless of class.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of healers don't like Brewmasters because for a long time damage meters were broken with regards to incoming damage, so they'd pull up their recount/skada meter and it would show the Brewmaster way in front of the other tank for damage taken.

Problem was a matter of calculation moreso than incoming damage. What would happen is brewmaster would take a 100k hit, stagger say 50% of the hit, and the stagger would apply a 50k dot to the Brewmaster. Recount/Skada would pick up that damage as a 100k hit + 50k dot meaning the 100k hit would say it did 150k damage, artificially inflating the monk's damage taken.

Now at least Skada has fixed this and shows the right number. I'm not sure if recount has though.

As a healer, once upon a time I would have said druids. Now, probably DKs. Not necessarily bad, just more likely to be jerks.

Although a badly played warrior is probably the worst. I am biased towards paladin and warrior tanks though <3

Most monk tanks seem to often be undergeared, but I just assume they are an alt. Who doesn't have a monk alt, right? Undergeared doesn't bother me unless they are getting one-shot. In fact it makes things less boring for me.

Deleted
    Brewmasters for sure. My co-tank is a brewmaster while I play guardian druid and honestly, I wouldn't want the hassle of everything a brewmaster has to keep track of in order to do the basics of what any other tank does. It's not interesting gameplay, it's just complication for the sake of complication.

Whoever added all their damage reduction modifiers together in this post, trying to justify it, you realise all tanks are balanced around damage taken, right? In any given situation tanks will take more or less the same damage if asked to do the same things. Silly thing to say.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fur Play View Post
    Brewmasters for sure. My co-tank is a brewmaster while I play guardian druid and honestly, I wouldn't want the hassle of everything a brewmaster has to keep track of in order to do the basics of what any other tank does. It's not interesting gameplay, it's just complication for the sake of complication.
    Kind of disagree here. Keeping shuffle up comes down to:
    1) Don't afk.
    2) Don't overcap rescources.
    3) Don't waste too much chi on purify or breath of fire.

#1 and #2 is the basic of pretty much any spec (although tbf, there's still a lot of tanks that just afk when it's not their turn to tank, which is silly as monk because you can bank shuffle easily). #3 is hard because... breath of fire is a cool spell? Idk. Apart from that, guard, expel harm, etc. isn't too different from other tank's buttons if you ask me.

I would say blood dks just because I can still give my healers heart attacks by taking a full hit or having a less than spectacular blood shield, but I just say "I'm fine" I woulda hit a cd if I was worried.

I've played all tank classes but BM Monk over the expansions and I have to say I don't think there is a valid, generalized opinion out there. Perhaps people are less forgiving towards the "newer" tank classes (see DK/Monk) - other than that I haven't seen any pattern. Currently I'm playing a Blood DK and haven't sensed any scepticism towards my ability before I even started tanking (nor after I've tanked either lol, unless I f up of course).

10+ Year Old Account
    I have never played Dks before so I can't judge blood DKs.
    I'd have to say BM monks. Some of the newer ones probably only know how to spam Spinning Crane Kick and Breath of Fire from the back-to-back dungeon leveling.