Deepwind Gorge - to cart or not to cart?

Since DwG has been the CTA, I've had some really shocking games (Horde).
    I'm not a 'true' PvPer and just want to clarify if getting the cart is > mines?
    It was my understanding that it was kinda like the reverse EotS, in that you can 3 cap in Eye and not cap a flag and still win but if you hold 2 mines and not cap then you're gonna lose.
    So, am I right in saying that getting 1 mine is enough and we should run cart at all costs?
    1st May 2013-->1st April 2014
    105lb-->166lb
    Bench/Squat/Deadlift 1RMs - 20kg/20kg/40kg-->100kg/162.5kg/210kg

Running geneswests 5/3/1

10+ Year Old Account
    getting the carts TO the mines(while cart is owned by your faction **staying in the ring around it** a timed thing)
    is what gives points.

edit...was thinking of silvershard lol...
    i quit just before SoO, did enough on isle to get my cape
    Last edited by Christan; 2014-04-20 at 01:53 PM.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    getting the carts TO the mines(while cart is owned by your faction **staying in the ring around it** a timed thing)
    is what gives points.
    Thats silvershard mines, NOT Deepwind Gorge.

Ima put it like this- one faction could have all 3 bases, but if they don't do a single thing about the gold carts, let the opponent cap carts and don't take opponent's cart, they will lose. Carts are pretty damn important, and its easily possible to overcome a HUGE score difference simply by capping carts, and keeping your own cart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

There are several valid strategies.

Notice that capturing the cart not only gives you 200 points, but also takes away 200 points from the enemy. As such, a good team can win by getting a single mine and keep stealing carts, as long as your team is able to kill any enemy cart carriers.

3-capping is a very hard strategy to do. Your team will be spread too thin, the enemy can just zerg rush a mine and take it.

The best strategy, IMO, is to try to cap 2 mines, and stop any enemy cart stealers. Then put a single person (usually someone with mobility and self-heals) to try to steal the cart. You don't really need to steal any carts that way, but your cart carrier will keep the enemies occupied, and if he manages to get the cart to your base, even better.

Last night my (pugged) RBG team won by doing that. 2 people at one of the corner mines, 4 at center, 3 hunting down cart carriers, and one stealing carts, with people sometimes swapping their roles to stop any zerg rushes into one of our bases.
    Last edited by DeicideUH; 2014-04-20 at 02:23 PM.

Deleted
    I turned games around when we had only 1 flag by constantly grabbing carts > delivering > running back etc.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you have one base and constantly cap the cart whilst the other team ignores it you can easily win. It gives resources and also takes them away from the other team.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

Quote Originally Posted by Falconblade View Post
    I turned games around when we had only 1 flag by constantly grabbing carts > delivering > running back etc.
    This.

This is what I'm getting everytime I go in. Everyone else is so hung up on bases but I'm the only one running the cart and we end up winning even though we only have 1 base.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Luminoth4 View Post
    If you have one base and constantly cap the cart whilst the other team ignores it you can easily win. It gives resources and also takes them away from the other team.
    It's hard to tell the rest of your team that!
    105lb-->166lb

Running geneswests 5/3/1

10+ Year Old Account
    Most games won are by carts and usually the faction that caps the most carts ultimately decimates the enemy faction. Beauty/annoyance of the carts is that, unlike your standard CTF, you don't NEED to have your own cart at your base in order to cap it. Which mean all you have to do is survive a mass of Alliance/Horde.

i single handedly won a game getting my 4 carts in 1 game achievement, we won by 1600vs 898, now imagine i didn't cap those? it goes 800vs1698 they got double our score, the fact i gained us 800 points and stole 800 from them is a 1600 point difference it's insane.

I should definitely link this thread to the rest of the team members.
    Thanks for clarifying, everyone.
    105lb-->166lb

Running geneswests 5/3/1

Another strategy with carts is that if you've grabbed one and are holding it, the other cart won't respawn (correct me if I'm wrong on that). So if you're up on mines you can park the cart near one and run down the clock.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    im a cart kinda guy
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

If you don't die cart is best

Deepwind Gorge is a battleground which favors the team with more healers in a really disgusting way.

In other battlegrounds, you either have to get your flag back to the base - i.e. kill the EFC, or you may get interrupted while trying to grab a flag or a base.

While in DG, you don't have anything like that, you can grab the cart instantly and don't really need to get your own cart back first.

Sure, you can't use any speed boost, but who needs that when you have all those wonderful leaps and blinks.

Those who haven't played against german alliance will never understand what it is like to face a team where 6 out of 15 people are healers and 5 of them are priests.

So yeah, totally cart.

15+ Year Old Account
    You can win by just having one node and capping carts as long as the cart carrier does not die and get their smoothly and you stop their carts. But the best thing to do is at the start send your fc in mid and when you get your other bases and more of your team gets in mid have the fc peel out and cap carts.

I have had games where no one is able to get mid and the carts end up mattering so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Toobad View Post
    Deepwind Gorge is a battleground which favors the team with more healers in a really disgusting way.

In other battlegrounds, you either have to get your flag back to the base - i.e. kill the EFC, or you may get interrupted while trying to grab a flag or a base.

While in DG, you don't have anything like that, you can grab the cart instantly and don't really need to get your own cart back first.

Sure, you can't use any speed boost, but who needs that when you have all those wonderful leaps and blinks.

Those who haven't played against german alliance will never understand what it is like to face a team where 6 out of 15 people are healers and 5 of them are priests.

So yeah, totally cart.
    I have played 7 healers and 3 dps in rated bgs, it can be quite funny on dwg and eots.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

3 mines = 26 points per 5 seconds
    1 capture = -200 for the enemy +200 for your team

So if you can caputure the flag in 75 seconds consistantly you would generate points slightly faster than the 3 cap. Keep in mind speed boosts do not work there are few things that do such as blinks and leaps and grips.

The 2 best strats I would go with.
    1. Hold 2 bases kill them when they get your cart.
    2. Hold 1 base run carts and kill them when they get your cart.

both these strats keep you grouped up very well and are very simple for random bg's.