Page 1 of 3
LastLast

should old raids be scaled?

I had this idea when I played Gw2 where you can do old content as a high level character and still basically receive the equivalent xp/reward for doing so. So why can't we scale old raids that people enjoyed to reward a tier below the current? It's been done when redoing old dungeons, basically the same weapon models updated. So why not run any dungeon or raid at level 100 and have heroic gear drop? I love making alts and running old content, why can't I do that on my main and get the same rewards?

It would be far too difficult to scale and tune. You can't just lower the damage and health of players and ta da, theirs too many different abilities and mechanics in boss fights. Everything would require retuning. Imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Only as an option. Such a pain to get anyone to help me with Ulduar runs or Lich King kills because it doesn't benefit the guild via guild achievements. Hate to imagine what it'd be like if I couldn't solo them anymore.

it would be cool to have as an option, but would probably be hard to tune just right, and blizz would probably never commit to that.

Quote Originally Posted by -Skye View Post
    It would be far too difficult to scale and tune. You can't just lower the damage and health of players and ta da, theirs too many different abilities and mechanics in boss fights. Everything would require retuning. Imo.
    Imagine Sunwell at level 100. Oh how fun.

They said they can do it already, just lacking proper rewarding system so people will be actually interested in doing it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think the *option* for scaling would be best. I never want to lose the option to solo old content, but the chance to go back to old content and treat it as an at level raid? Sounds amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aborted View Post
    I had this idea when I played Gw2 where you can do old content as a high level character and still basically receive the equivalent xp/reward for doing so. So why can't we scale old raids that people enjoyed to reward a tier below the current? It's been done when redoing old dungeons, basically the same weapon models updated. So why not run any dungeon or raid at level 100 and have heroic gear drop? I love making alts and running old content, why can't I do that on my main and get the same rewards?
    It's inevitable that this will happen. They already had a preliminary system in 5.4 that some people accidentally found where you were scaled in lower level dungeons in terms of both stats and the abilities you would have had at that level. I expect that system to go live sometime during Warlords, but only for dungeons to begin with. It will be implemented for raids later. And it will be optional of course. You will obviously be able to go back to the old raids solo and destroy them if you want to.
    4/12/292277026596 15:30:08

Bad idea to be honest... it is already a pain to find 1-2 people who willing to go with you to certain bosses that either cannot be soloed due to the fight mechanic or your class just not able to do it alone. They should remain as they are.

I doubt they would do it on the scale everyone seems to be expecting. They started experimenting with it in the background somewhere prior to 5.4, and maybe they have the technique ready by WoD release. But I seriously doubt that it would affect anything prior to that since with all the system changes that had been made over the years it would mean an insane amount of tweaking things around for 16 entire raid tiers. There are better things to do with that time, considering that such a feature would probably not offer anything of value for the current endgame and in turn wouldn't be used very widely at all, much less even for a particular wing of a particular raid. Expect day long queues after the initial rush is over.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

15+ Year Old Account
    IMO, old raids should go into LFR (broken into wings) with ilvl scaling. Undertune them, even, just leverage that content so there's way more available at endgame.

Have the bosses drop the old loot, but use personal loot to grant Justice/Valor and some generic, endgame appropriate loot in "raider's satchels" or something.

Leave the original versions for soloing, but no points or satchels.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    IMO, old raids should go into LFR (broken into wings) with ilvl scaling. Undertune them, even, just leverage that content so there's way more available at endgame.

Have the bosses drop the old loot, but use personal loot to grant Justice/Valor and some generic, endgame appropriate loot in "raider's satchels" or something.

yeah, 100% agree with this.

How hard would it be for Blizzard to do now?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazlofski View Post
    They said they can do it already, just lacking proper rewarding system so people will be actually interested in doing it.
    I'd do it for some VP, a current satchel with a chance at the 'catchup' epics and other useful junk... especially if they were BoA or somesuch... and the key part... a higher then average chance at mounts & pets. At least the ones that were higher while the content was current and challenging... if some of the challenge is returning, there should be a middle ground between 100% drop and 0.1% drop.

Wouldn't hurt if the rewards used the personal loot system either, to minimize the 'eh, we can clear this with 3 people... any more and we just lower our chances of winning the mount'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would you want to do the same old shit youve been doing for 10 years again just because its hard again. Jeez people, Id rather they make more new stuff, rather than waste dev time scaling old raids
    Last edited by Orlong; 2014-04-21 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Why would you want to do the same old shit youve been doing for 10 years again just because its hard again. Jeez people, Id rather they make more new stuff
    nostalgia.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Why would you want to do the same old shit youve been doing for 10 years again just because its hard again. Jeez people, Id rather they make more new stuff, rather than waste dev time scaling old raids
    I never did any of the vanilla raids when they were current. I did some of the BC raids when they were current. I didn't really raid at all in Cata. I would like the chance to go through those raids in a group, have fun and pick up some transmog gear and maybe a mount. I haven't enjoyed MoP raiding at all and would rather do older raids.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by James Bond View Post
    I'd rather prefer they make new raids as easy as old raids, only reason I do raids these days is to experience whatever little story there is happening in them, couldn't care less about gear, and mechanics in WoW are a joke. I've done Kara, Gruul's, TK, SSC back in the day, tough raids with tough mechanics to get used at first, but nothing since has felt challenging for me because WoW mechanics in raids aren't hard, they just require a bit of repetition and you're set. Raids are a waste of time and every boss is a gear check. In GW2 you interact a bit more with bosses and the fights are more chaotic, in WoW it's always "ok tank aggro shit, dps aoe mobs or cc mobs or focus fire, healers heal shit", it's like ok how is this still challenging in 2014? Oh ok the boss hits harder and has more HP and an extra gimmick on heroic. The first 2 "obstacles" are overcome with better gear from grinding previous difficulties and the extra gimmick is just an extra thing to get used to after 1-2 attempts no biggie.
    You have LFR already. I don't get your complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post

Having them be in LFR would destroy all nostalgia towards those raids tbh. Those raids were never a "take a look in this environment with no challenge whatsoever". I really hope that doesn't happen. Having LFR-versions of content is fine I guess, but having them ONLY in an "easymode" makes no sense to me...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballack View Post
    Having them be in LFR would destroy all nostalgia towards those raids tbh. Those raids were never a "take a look in this environment with no challenge whatsoever". I really hope that doesn't happen. Having LFR-versions of content is fine I guess, but having them ONLY in an "easymode" makes no sense to me...
    They are already in an easy mode. It so easy you can solo most of them. We would just like the option to go in there with more people, everyone gets their own loot and enough difficulty to justify the number of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nnnnooooooo.
    After tons of kills for raid bosses mounts, I don't want to go back there for other rewards.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    Nnnnooooooo.
    After tons of kills for raid bosses mounts, I don't want to go back there for other rewards.
    Who said there would be other rewards?