Poll: Do you have an urge to kill fleeing players?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question An urge to kill fleeing players.

I'm curious how you feel about this because I have noticed my self that when someone tries to flee I seriously want to kill them. :s

I'm not leaving something unguarded to do so, but I would like to run after them.

Got me thinking maybe there is even something primal going on here since running a way from a predator is usually one of the dumbest things you can do since this can trigger an attack.
    Last edited by Exeris; 2014-04-21 at 02:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

You're exactly right. It is a primal reaction that most predators share.

Running away is like admitting you are outmatched and seeing as most predators are opportunists, most will take advantage of it.

It's like encountering a bear in the wild. Running is pointless and if you run they'll usually chase. So you stand your ground, make yourself big and loud and hope the bear has second thoughts.

Humans are still just animals, our actions and reactions are just much more complex.

Deleted
    I play Natural Selection 2 and one of the biggest aspects of playing is knowing when to retreat properly and knowing when to engage an opponent. Many less skilled players will likely commit more to a tough fight or chase a fleeing enemy without cause for concern and can usually get them killed. This I would presume is our primal and innate tendency to seek victory and destroy our opponents whereas the more human and rational aspect of our psyche is considering the situation strategically and logically, better and more experienced players have a greater control of this mentality.

The satisfaction of seeing an enemy fall before you is always tempting

As LookingGlass says, someone who flees is likely admitting defeat vs a greater opponent but it can also be used to outwit your opponent such as fleeing an area to find a better position or to create an ambush opportunity.

15+ Year Old Account
    My urge to kill them increases because they know that they can not kill me. A person is much easier to kill on the run.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Well at times if you are running away you can bait someone away and have a rogue jump him and you can turn around and double team him. This method is handy as a healer. On the flip side though it is natural to want to kill someone fleeing because they could be regrouping to come back at you with force. I rather kill a group of 1 then 2 guys rather than a wave of 3 at once.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the circumstances.

If the player is on a flying mount, or a Druid out of combat I don't bother, otherwise I chase them down if they're within 40 yards and I know I can match their speed. I usually run the simulations in my head as soon as I spot them, thinking strategically and logically. Human psychology can help in decision making too by being able to understand what they might do ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by LookingGlass View Post

Running away is like admitting you are outmatched and seeing as most predators are opportunists, most will take advantage of it.
    How to play a rogue

Step 1 - sap
    Step 2 - open with a silence/stun
    step 3 - stabby stabby
    step 4 - run away

I hope with the new models the backs will look really good - cause that all I usually see from rogues
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

Dependant of which one started the conflict.
    If the one fleeing is not the one who started the attack, whatever, GG if they flee successfully.
    If the guy START the fight and flee from the ones defending themselves, they should be hunt and suffer all their cowardice consequences.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
    How to play a rogue

Step 1 - sap
    Step 2 - open with a silence/stun
    step 3 - stabby stabby
    step 4 - run away

I hope with the new models the backs will look really good - cause that all I usually see from rogues
    Rogue's stuns are out of hand. They turn players into training dummies. I believe only Rogues and Paladins can beat people without breaking CCs. That's not a good model.

Quote Originally Posted by LookingGlass View Post
    You're exactly right. It is a primal reaction that most predators share.

It's like encountering a bear in the wild. Running is pointless and if you run they'll usually chase. So you stand your ground, make yourself big and loud and hope the bear has second thoughts.

Humans are still just animals, our actions and reactions are just much more complex.
    Yeah, good luck with that bear trick buddy...

OT: I usually wanna kill them, no idea why. I play a rogue myself so running away when I'm outmatched is kind of my bread and butter.

More often than not when someone is running away from you, they're showing that they don't know how/don't want/aren't confident in fighting you. It basically puts a free kill sign on their back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ophion1990 View Post
    Yeah, good luck with that bear trick buddy...

OT: I usually wanna kill them, no idea why. I play a rogue myself so running away when I'm outmatched is kind of my bread and butter.
    That is actually the best way to handle an encounter with a bear. Completely true.

10+ Year Old Account
    We may wear fancy clothes and use advanced technology, but behind the curtain it is still the monkey brain pulling our strings, our primal instincts affect us more than people realise.

Its really circumstantial. If I'm letting them mind their own business and they come after me, I just can't let them get away when they inevitably run. But in another instance I've chased a mage across TI as a censer in a glorious show of gliders and nitro belt boosts, simply because he tried to join in on a 1v1 I was having with a warrior and ran once the warrior fell.

15+ Year Old Account
    My desire to kill a player is purely based on it's tactical relevance, in most objective based BGs, that would mean ignoring them (as they are no longer a threat to the objective), but in CTF BGs it depends on their role (healers I tend to try finishing off, DPS I leave).
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buu View Post
    Dependant of which one started the conflict.
    If the one fleeing is not the one who started the attack, whatever, GG if they flee successfully.
    If the guy START the fight and flee from the ones defending themselves, they should be hunt and suffer all their cowardice consequences.

- - - Updated - - -

Rogue's stuns are out of hand. They turn players into training dummies. I believe only Rogues and Paladins can beat people without breaking CCs. That's not a good model.
    not nearly as op as mace spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buu View Post
    I believe only Rogues and Paladins can beat people without breaking CCs. That's not a good model.
    Can't speak for rogues, but glyphed and talented for max stunning, a paladin has a 6 sec stun on a 30 sec CD and a 6 sec AoE stun on a 2 min CD. Even assuming you have no trinket, if you die in 8 global cooldowns, you need to work on your PvP gear.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends if it's a player who has been bugging me that BG.

I more or less usually focus those who decide to attack me first. When they run away it only becomes more entertaining. >=D

It's great to be a Monk because nobody can run away from you and nobody can catch you when you're fleeing.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, it depends on the situation.

1) If it an enemy DPS i will not particularly care if they run, so long as they are no longer pressuring me or my healers.

2) If it is an enemy healer or someone strategically important (EFC, ORB Carrier, their BG Leader, etc) i will usually pursue unless i am at risk of overextending.

3) If it is obvious they are trying to bait me out of position i will not follow. Usually.

4) If it is a rogue though, i will follow them to the ends of the map if necessary - or until one of their bullshit get-out-of-jail free cards comes off cooldown and they do finally manage to get clear of me.

There is nothing - literally nothing that pisses me off more in PvP that surviving all of a Rogues CDs only to see them run like a bitch when you finally start wrecking on them. And it feels ever so good when you manage to predict where they're going to be after they've vanished and you get them unstealthed again. I am not particularly skilled at PvP but i have always had a knack for killing rogues. Especially with my WW.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I run away offensively just as much as defensively. It's a great way to get hk hungry ppl to burn CDs chasing you, also giving your passive healing/hots time to tick. Once those CDs are spent boom suddenly I ain't running so hard and your dead, cause I was waiting 10s on offensive CDs that the running away bought me the time to come back up :-)

Especially rogues. Or when I leave a BG and might be in a lowbie area and a lowbie hits me to be cute
    You die.