10+ Year Old Account

Question [PVP]Focusing only PVP in WoD, is it enough?

Hey guys,

As someone who has almost always done PVE, and some PVP on the side I wonder if in your opinion shifting focus to PVP as your main prio, and having PVE as a secondary is worth it?

For PVE I've been doing a lot of it at the start of the xpack, and it has always been my main focus. Progressing my gear and slowly advancing though bosses give a clear goal of what you can accomplish, and what you would like to accomplish still. For instance; progressing though SoO, killing only a few bosses, but knowing your end goal is Garrosh gives you a clear sense of direction. The goal is to kill the ultimate badguy.

I've been doing a lot of PVP on my paladin for the last couple months, and really enjoyed it. Have 8 Prideful items at the moment. Not really gotten into arenas, besides caps in 2's. For the most part I queue up for random BG's and see if I can make a difference (it's great doing so, because you really CAN make a difference as a geared healer in random BG's.)

For WoD I am considering focussing more on PVP, and having PVE on the side, kinda the opposite of what I have now.

However, there is no real end to PVP. There is no "end boss" to kill. Sure you can say "obtain 2200 rating" but I'm not sure if that is a realistic goal for the average Joe-PVP like myself. I do well in random BGs, like I do well in Flex and Normal difficulties, but I'm not sure if I'm cut for the big league. I know my capabilities in PVE, I know I can do normal difficulty raids, but I also know I can't do heroics. I'm just not cut out for that stuff.

Would focusing on PVP give me a sense of accomplishment, and what could be a goal to accomplish for the average Joe-PVP?
    Warlock (SL main)

Deleted
    I guess for the first couple of months you will get frustrated. If you still stick PvP after that then you might be on the road to 2k in the next season or two. Dont wanna sound mean, but if your limits are normal raiding then your chances of being in the big league of PvP are quite slim.

What makes you think you can't do heroic raiding? Is it times the raids happen? Do you not have reaction times to boss events?

Bottom line, you'll have to find a class and stick with it. Learn how to play it and dont be I used to be and try to play a bunch of classes at once.
    "Clearly every aspect of one's life, from financial stability to social popularity, to sexual prowess can be boiled down to 4 numbers: One's Arena rating" ~ Xandamere

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I would be quite capable at heroic raiding. I am well aware of my capabilities. I'm not cutting edge, but I do okay. I chose to raid with friends and perhaps this has held back my personal progression, but that was a choice I made.

I've been playing a prot warrior since Vanilla, I know that guy inside out. I just prefer playing a healer in pvp, because I don't do well on rotations and such. Healing is much more thinking "what heal is right for this situation" rather than keeping a rotation going.

Now for my original question; what goals can the average joe pvp set for himself? Would I be right in thinking "obtain full current season conquest gear" is pretty much the only clear goal to obtain or am I missing something here?
    Warlock (SL main)

10+ Year Old Account
    PvP has somewhat of a different mindset than PvE. Sure you can set goals for yourself, such as attaining rating or getting titles and stuff, but those things aren't as concrete as clearing a raid. To really enjoy PvP, you need to make sure its about having fun. That should be your primary goal, with rating and gear etc as your secondary.

The reason is, rating and titles (with the exception of rank one and RBG titles) and gear reset every season. If those are your only goals you may find yourself burnt out with nothing to strive for once you achieve your goals. Focusing on having fun and constantly finding ways to improve are what keeps PvP fresh and exciting.
    @Aridnz[/CENTER]

I've personally tried to do 80% PvP and 20% PvE. I quickly discovered PvE takes a lot more time. I found myself running LFR so much trying to get geared enough to accompany my guild on raids. The trick is not to get left behind on gear in PvE or that can be an issue. I did months of LFR and still had a Blue weapon on all my chars. The only epic weapons I ever got were from honor/conquest (unlucky I guess).

PvP is much less time consuming. It is much easier to get 3 people together as it is to get a raid online at the same time.

Now, I only focus on PvP. Focusing on PvP is much, much easier if you have limited play time and still fun/rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundertom View Post
    Now for my original question; what goals can the average joe pvp set for himself? Would I be right in thinking "obtain full current season conquest gear" is pretty much the only clear goal to obtain or am I missing something here?
    Obtaining a full set is quiet low, as you can Random BG that and eventually get it.

If you're average, I'd say 1500-1800 in 3s or RBGs is acceptable. At least currently, don't pay attention to 2s ratings, it will just frustrate you.
    "Clearly every aspect of one's life, from financial stability to social popularity, to sexual prowess can be boiled down to 4 numbers: One's Arena rating" ~ Xandamere

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridn View Post
    PvP has somewhat of a different mindset than PvE. Sure you can set goals for yourself, such as attaining rating or getting titles and stuff, but those things aren't as concrete as clearing a raid. To really enjoy PvP, you need to make sure its about having fun. That should be your primary goal, with rating and gear etc as your secondary.
    Fun is what drives me to WoW. I have played many games, but none as I have WoW. It seems to fit in perfectly with what I want from a game, and now that I've found out that PVP can be fun as well, I kinda have a whole new game to play. I just don't know what to shoot for.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirayne24 View Post
    Obtaining a full set is quiet low, as you can Random BG that and eventually get it.

If you're average, I'd say 1500-1800 in 3s or RBGs is acceptable. At least currently, don't pay attention to 2s ratings, it will just frustrate you.
    2s I already found really weird. As I'm a hpally, it's 2 options; Match up against double dps, which means either me or my partner survive the burst, and then finish them off, or against a healer and a dps it's wait until dampening drives you nuts and makes the other guy go OOM before you do.

Those numbers seem reasonable. I think I need to change my mindset a bit.

Great replies so far guys.
    Warlock (SL main)

Deleted
    Ive done 100% pvp (Not counting doing old raids for mounts/transmog as doing pve) since wotlk and
    i have almost never felt like there is nothing to do. The only times are when no arena-friend is online but
    that is pretty rare.

Id say its enough for me personally. If its enough for you will be up to... you :P

Quote Originally Posted by MrApple View Post
    Ive done 100% pvp (Not counting doing old raids for mounts/transmog as doing pve) since wotlk and
    i have almost never felt like there is nothing to do. The only times are when no arena-friend is online but
    that is pretty rare.

Id say its enough for me personally. If its enough for you will be up to... you :P
    Key note there, having good friends is the succes to never get bored of PvP.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundertom View Post
    Would focusing on PVP give me a sense of accomplishment, and what could be a goal to accomplish for the average Joe-PVP?
    Just wanted to say I'm just like you. PvE focused (no raiding -- but I kill a lot of time on alts) and I PvP on the side, random BGs only. (I despise arena.) I also agree that being a geared healer in BGs is pretty fun. On my priest I PvE strictly as shadow and PvP strictly as holy.

Having played PvE for so long, do you think you'd really find a PvP main focus satisfying? Just throwing this out there, but maybe concentrate less on focusing on one or the other and think more about integrating your PvP time with your PvE time? I know I had to do the same. I didn't want to not do PvE, and that was my focus, but the result of that was that by the time I got around to PvP I was badly undergeared. So running hot and cold meant that I was forever playing catch up with PvP gear. I think it's ok though to be a "jack of all trades and master of none" sometimes. You're not a hard core progression raider, you're not a arena champ, you enjoy both aspects. Do a set of dailies, do a battleground, grind Timeless Isle rares for an hour, do a battleground. I think you have to pick one or the other if you're going for Top Dog, but if you don't aspire to that (and there's nothing wrong that) then go for being an all around good player, shoot for a healthy mixture of both, and don't sacrifice one thing for the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazeari View Post
    Key note there, having good friends is the succes to never get bored of PvP.
    I need friends

PvE is much more time consuming than PvP, otherwise I'd do more than just LFR. I suppose it depends on what you enjoy. My play time is extremely random, I play for fun, and I like the feeling of doing whatever I want, whenever I want and not be tied to a schedule in my game time. When I'm not in an Arena/RBG/BG I might be playing the AH, levelling an alt, exploring the world, engaging in world pvp, transmog runs for gear etc. I feel like there's quite a lot to do for me such that I'm never bored.

When I do get bored I unsub for months at a stretch, get a nice break and come back.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazeari View Post
    having friends
    yeah... that pretty much sums it up :P

You don't need to focus on ratings to enjoy pvp. For example I hate rated BGs / Arenas but my main focus is random bgs and wpvp (Due to being able to use toys and potions) and I still do pvp a lot. For me HKs matter more than ratings because why not.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

Having done PVE in the past and always ending in Guild Drama Queen shit, I focus on PVP at the moment and plan on doing this in WoD as well.
    I dont see any problems with it, go for it. See you on the battlefields!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    You don't need to focus on ratings to enjoy pvp. For example I hate rated BGs / Arenas but my main focus is random bgs and wpvp (Due to being able to use toys and potions) and I still do pvp a lot. For me HKs matter more than ratings because why not.
    Cool!

I've found myself also doing this and doing more random BG's than I need, past the cap. Just because I enjoy it, and like to practice perfecting my skill set. Plus sometimes it's a challenge to make a random group of different geared folks work.
    Warlock (SL main)