Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Just be glad druids don't have to expend valuable resources like pallies for their active regen. Hopefully that will change. Healing down-time (ie time where healing is not extremely intensive) is something you can usually find during fights (especially once u really get to know them), so its almost not even an hps loss to channel an active mana regen during those times, I do it on my monk with mana tea (b/c there's very little healing that would have been done during that time anyways), making any mana regen ability without a resource requirement very strong.

I'm not sure if they will change the holy shock numbers, but for some perspective as if this change were implemented now, let's look at Holy Shock: Holy Pally's most mana efficient HP generator. It costs 8% base mana which is 1.6% of your total mana with a 6 sec CD. So it takes 18 sec and 4.8% mana to cast divine plea, doing it the most mana efficient way. That yields a gain of only 2.2% mana and what makes it even worse, is that you don't get to use that 3 HP on a big powerful heal. A heal that would likely help prevent you from spending well over 2.2% mana on a future heal, which you now have to cast a regular spell and not a HP spell on. Use anything besides holy shock to generate even 1 holy power, and divine plea will not recover the mana used to get the 3 HP, and that's not even considering the big 3 HP heal that you now don't get to cast either. I could never see using divine plea over an eternal flame in its current state. Even if just for the mastery shield and hot, it would be better than a measly 2.2% mana. This has to be tuned so that the net mana gained (2.2% currently) is worth significantly more than an eternal flame (who's effectiveness changes with gear, meaing this spell gets less and less valueble the more geared you are), which it just isn't at all currently, especially considering that its only 2.2% if done with 3 consecutive holy powers over 18 sec, it usually won't even be that. Tuning the numbers could make it more viable, but it just doesn't make sense to me when it would be so much easier to balance/less problematic to just make the holy paladin active regen like the other classes and tie it to denounce.

Even if its tuned to be a mana gain, it's still a lot less effective than the other classes' active regen model ie: If a pally goes oom, he's in real trouble, a lot more than a class who can start casting a mana regen spell for free when oom, whereas a pally has to wait for the mana to cast the HP generators, to build up the 3 HP to cast divine plea, and also can't as effectively take advantage of downtime in the fight to regen man, but instead sacrifices GCDs and throughput during the fight to regen; meaning divine plea would have to be tuned even higher to be viable. Just doesn't make sense to make pally's active regen so different and so much harder to tune. I'm not saying it can't be tuned right, but I really don't see it happening and I don't see the point. Another factor to consider is that the value of this spell will scale significantly with gear, making it even harder to tune. As one's gear gets better, so will the value of an eternal flame cast, making divine plea less and less valuable relative to the alternative. Especially seeing as the WoD divine plea was originally implemented at 4% mana gain, a .8% net loss even if cast with all holy shocks, and then bumped a measly 3% to 7% they don't seem to understand the value of 3 HP and the non-resource tied mana regen they're giving every other healing class, and the difficultly of balancing this active regen compared to the others. Random imbalance in a key ability like this towards 1 specific class/spec generally leads to ppl flocking away from that class/spec. It's not worth the high risk of improper balance to give pallies a radically different form of active regen from the rest.
    Last edited by BananaHandsB; 2014-04-24 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    Pros: No cooldown

Cons: Can't do anything for 10 seconds without either canceling Innervate or consuming some of that small amount of mana.

If they're going to force this Innervate down our throats then Wrath had better be free to cast during its duration. Don't want to be the only healer that's effectively picking our nose whenever we need to regen mana.
    You actually have all kinds of options to continue providing some level of throughput during that 10 second window.
    -Omen of Clarity procs - They don't count as spending mana on spells, so you can save one to use during Innervate, and chances are pretty good you will get a proc during that window even if you don't
    -Nature's Swiftness - another way to get a mana free heal within the 8 second window. It's a 1 minute cooldown, but I highly doubt you will want to Innervate more than 10 seconds out of every minute anyway
    -Clarity of Focus - If you want more oomph out of your OOC procs, you have the option of taking this talent and getting half of the Innervate window covered with being able to cast.
    -Dream of Cenarius - Take this talent and just spam Wrath during the 8 second window, and still maintain some light level of throughput.

Other healers are going to be doing 0 healing during the cast time of Lightning Bolt, Penance (offensive), Smite/Holy Fire and CJL, whereas Druids have a lot of options to maintain light throughput within that casting window. The mana gain per second of cast time is also exactly the same across Innervate (counting the full 10 seconds), Telluric Currents and Smite/Holy Fire. As a raiding Shaman, I would take the implementation of Innervate (along with Druid mechanics to mitigate it) over Telluric Currents any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    Pretty much. It's fairly obvious that guilds can exploit this easily to heal through pretty much anything, just take turns having healers shit all over their mana and then take turns regening while others cover the rest of the healing.
    It's how we did it in vanilla 40 mans, not unreasonable to assume it will happen again. It's really nothing to do with skill, btw, that's just the most efficient method for handling a mechanic that rewards healers with mana for not casting.

I'm not sure the idea of having coordinated healers is a bad thing. For one, it will force heroic guilds to keep bringing a significant number of healers, which lets people who prefer to only heal continue to only heal and still have a raid spot.

For another thing it forces all healers to actively participate as a team rather than just playing wack a mole and not stand in shit. The game has seriously lost some of it's "team effort" juju over the years.

This is purely subjective btw, not suggesting that my preferences are better for the whole community.

Meh. If we're going to move backward, which this appears to be, just go back to the FSR, down ranking, and healing rotations. It would be a lot more interactive than anything they're proposing.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsin View Post
    Hey,
    First let me start of by saying that I like the idea of active mana regeneration. If the end result is something similar to how tanking works i'd be very happy.

This is from a heroic raiders perspective.

Now onto why I don't like the current iteration of innervate. The biggest problem for me regarding healing is when I have nothing to cast and just stand around doing nothing while people around me are fighting. I'm not sure why, but it feels extremely bad, like I should be doing something, I am not thus I must be bad.

I like to play in a rhythm and it usually consists of healing the stuff that I know is coming and reacting to unexpected damage spikes. To keep myself in rhythm I always make sure I am casting something. What I like is casting nourish on the tank when there is nothing to do. Obviously right now it is not viable due to high damage in heroic raids and high amount of passive mana regen. However when I was starting to get into SoO and had no heroic cloak or meta gem, I loved healing that way.

It is pretty clear to me that Innervate as is right now on alpha would break my rhythm and I fear I would not like the class. There are some easy fixes to this so I will not dwell on it. Instead I'd like to offer another, a bit more drastic, mana generation method.

Lets say Innervate has a 1,5 sec cast time and regenerates X amount of mana, has no CD. It can be cast on other healing classes/specs.

Here is what this change would hopefully accomplish. It would add a filler spell that would not break your rhythm. Give players a choice of healing/ mana regen.
    The second part is a bit more controversial (restoring mana for other healers) . For it to work It would require other healing classes to have similar abilities, restore mana for other healers, because otherwise you run a risk of making one class a mana battery. It would make healers harder to balance. Why I think It would be a fun mechanic in a game:
    1. Adds another dimension to healing (health bars full? check mana bars)
    2. Raises the skill cap for healing ( how do you measure a good healer? eHPS, mana regen, burst HPS, sustained HPS?)
    3. Changes healing without changing it too much ( You can still do the healing you want, Its just that there is some extra stuff to do if you want to)

In the end, This is just a suggestion and I would like to hear other players opinions. Do you enjoy healing rhythm and would you like a new mechanic for healing. Maybe you don't like active mana regen. Why?

TLTR: Alpha innervate breaking immersion, new active mana regeneration idea.
    Love this idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsin View Post
    Hey,
    First let me start of by saying that I like the idea of active mana regeneration. If the end result is something similar to how tanking works i'd be very happy.

This is from a heroic raiders perspective.

Now onto why I don't like the current iteration of innervate. The biggest problem for me regarding healing is when I have nothing to cast and just stand around doing nothing while people around me are fighting. I'm not sure why, but it feels extremely bad, like I should be doing something, I am not thus I must be bad.

I like to play in a rhythm and it usually consists of healing the stuff that I know is coming and reacting to unexpected damage spikes. To keep myself in rhythm I always make sure I am casting something. What I like is casting nourish on the tank when there is nothing to do. Obviously right now it is not viable due to high damage in heroic raids and high amount of passive mana regen. However when I was starting to get into SoO and had no heroic cloak or meta gem, I loved healing that way.

It is pretty clear to me that Innervate as is right now on alpha would break my rhythm and I fear I would not like the class. There are some easy fixes to this so I will not dwell on it. Instead I'd like to offer another, a bit more drastic, mana generation method.

Lets say Innervate has a 1,5 sec cast time and regenerates X amount of mana, has no CD. It can be cast on other healing classes/specs.

Here is what this change would hopefully accomplish. It would add a filler spell that would not break your rhythm. Give players a choice of healing/ mana regen.
    The second part is a bit more controversial (restoring mana for other healers) . For it to work It would require other healing classes to have similar abilities, restore mana for other healers, because otherwise you run a risk of making one class a mana battery. It would make healers harder to balance. Why I think It would be a fun mechanic in a game:
    1. Adds another dimension to healing (health bars full? check mana bars)
    2. Raises the skill cap for healing ( how do you measure a good healer? eHPS, mana regen, burst HPS, sustained HPS?)
    3. Changes healing without changing it too much ( You can still do the healing you want, Its just that there is some extra stuff to do if you want to)

In the end, This is just a suggestion and I would like to hear other players opinions. Do you enjoy healing rhythm and would you like a new mechanic for healing. Maybe you don't like active mana regen. Why?

TLTR: Alpha innervate breaking immersion, new active mana regeneration idea.
    I like the idea, but any time any class can give back a noticeable amount of mana to healers, there is an extremely high risk of them getting stacked along with high throughput healers, just because why not? This begins a vicious cycle of stacking and escalating tool kits to bring others to raids. This alpha version of innervate is actually quite nice. Yes, instead of doing something like minor heal sniping on low damage phases, you'll be regenerating mana while tossing out rejuvs before you re-cast innervate. This kind of model will have its own model and offer a nice skill spread, as the good restos will know how to keep hots rolling through the raid while also regenning to full mana to be able to handle the high burst phases. It'll make the gameplay for resto even more unique than the other healers, as it requires more forethought for when you can and can't regen and what has to be done before you can start recovering mana. Thematically it fits well with the class too, which is always a nice bonus.
    What are you willing to sacrifice?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberria View Post
    You actually have all kinds of options to continue providing some level of throughput during that 10 second window.
    -Omen of Clarity procs - They don't count as spending mana on spells, so you can save one to use during Innervate, and chances are pretty good you will get a proc during that window even if you don't
    -Nature's Swiftness - another way to get a mana free heal within the 8 second window. It's a 1 minute cooldown, but I highly doubt you will want to Innervate more than 10 seconds out of every minute anyway
    -Clarity of Focus - If you want more oomph out of your OOC procs, you have the option of taking this talent and getting half of the Innervate window covered with being able to cast.
    -Dream of Cenarius - Take this talent and just spam Wrath during the 8 second window, and still maintain some light level of throughput.
    Two of your options are reliant on a random proc and I doubt DoC will ever let Resto Druids have a Wrath semi-effective enough to justify taking it for raiding purposes.

Other healers are going to be doing 0 healing during the cast time of Lightning Bolt, Penance (offensive), Smite/Holy Fire and CJL, whereas Druids have a lot of options to maintain light throughput within that casting window. The mana gain per second of cast time is also exactly the same across Innervate (counting the full 10 seconds), Telluric Currents and Smite/Holy Fire. As a raiding Shaman, I would take the implementation of Innervate (along with Druid mechanics to mitigate it) over Telluric Currents any day.
    Other healers are still contributing to the raid by doing damage (albeit trivial amounts) and can weave instants/dispels with their man regen abilities. Barring OoC procs and a fairly big CD Druids are just going to be standing around. I guess you could go Cat form for some minor damage but meh.

The current iteration of Innervate seems intriguing when coupled with Dream of Cenarius or Natures Vigil. Seems you will still be able to heal with wrath spam during that 8 seconds with the added bonus of some dps involved as well. Depending on the value of spirit this might lend itself toward putting a little more crit into our build for larger burst healing while spamming wrath. Not sure how low we'd be able to go with spirit to be sure we are still at the hit cap though.

Seems like it could be a fun way of healing, thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by xytech View Post
    Sounds awfully boring.
    Incredibly so. The supposedly "active" new mana regeneration seems to consist of doing absolutely nothing. They might let us cast free Wraths during that time, but the Wraths won't actually be doing anything particularly useful and aren't at all relevant to Innervate.

It's basically the old "five second rule" from vanilla, which was universally loathed as being terribly boring. Having to plan around periods of healing and periods of not healing sounds interesting on paper, but in practice it really just means you spend a lot of time not doing anything. Your character just stands there, and if there's no fire to avoid standing in you might as well go AFK for the duration because you're not actually playing the game anyway.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

When it originally came out, my gut reaction was "so you're telling me that there is a developer at Blizz that actually thinks this version of innervate is a good idea...?"

I calmed down a little bit and got to the "ok, this is the first iteration, surely they will change it in the next patch update."

Now that we have had a second set of patch notes and nothing changed (but they adjusted other healer, so they obviously looked at all of them) I am starting to seriously question wtf is going on.

Ok, so we can cast 1 "free" spell and not break innervate... great, so now we can cast 1 spell in the 10 second window. Oh, and we can wrath spam, cool! Except we are locked into the 2 second cast +4 or 8 seconds of wrath spam... and other healers can weave their spells between their healing rotation (cast a heal, cast lightning bolt, cast a heal)... so the whole "you can dps during it" doesn't hold any value in my mind when you compare it to other healers.

This is just horrible implementation of a good idea, and I hope Blizzard will change it, but since we haven't got any updates yet I am losing hope. Even if they change the numbers to uber regen levels, it is still bad implementation. All the "it is still alpha" is true, but the fact that this awful idea even made it into alpha concerns me. Also, I understand that 1 out of every 10 fights has a few seconds of downtime that this would be broken on. Overall, I don't care about that, I care about the whole picture.

I've healed for going on 10 years now... My thoughts?

What's really funny about this is that they call it "Active-regen" but for some classes it explicitly requires you to do absolutely nothing.

IF we're going down this path I'd prefer them just change mana to be like Hunter focus. Your basic healing spells give you mana on top of a passive spirit-based regen. Larger, flashier spells cost 25-50% of your entire mana bar.

We'd get a combo feel to healing, we'd be able to store a full bar for an upcoming event and we'd never be sitting around waiting for mana.

Mana at its most fundamental level is inherently flawed as a resource. This flawed concept is the reason it has never been balanced well for long.

Having some massive pool of a resource encourages players to burn through it. So you need regen. Well, if you have too little regen players burn it and are useless for too long. If you have too much regen then mana isn't even serving it's core purpose as a limit on output. Too much regen and the GCD and cooldowns become the output limits.

Blizzard is so hell-bent on preserving the concept of Vanilla mana that they've struggled for 10 years to balance it without success. It has truly only been perfect a handful of fleeting moments between raid tiers here and there.

They need to suck it up and give it up for their own sanity and for the sake of better gameplay for healers.

I think WoD is the perfect time.

Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    Two of your options are reliant on a random proc and I doubt DoC will ever let Resto Druids have a Wrath semi-effective enough to justify taking it for raiding purposes.

Other healers are still contributing to the raid by doing damage (albeit trivial amounts) and can weave instants/dispels with their man regen abilities. Barring OoC procs and a fairly big CD Druids are just going to be standing around. I guess you could go Cat form for some minor damage but meh.
    The only time you're going to use this active mana regen is when little damage is going out, meaning most likely you're going to blanket rejuv the raid. So maybe you'll cast 5-8 rejuvs, and then wait for them to tick while others cast their other low budget heals. You'll have a handful of seconds that you could just sit around and regen mana with. So if you plan accordingly you could get a few rejuvs up, maybe even put something up to charge some mushrooms, then innervate, while things are ticking and then maybe after a couple innervate ticks, plan for your next set of healing targets, set them up, and then go. You could go kitty, and attempt to push buttons while you wait for your mana to come back, but that just puts you at risk of being a pointless damage sponge. I do agree that the model needs some fine tuning, it suffers the same problem as shuffle did in MoP alpha and early beta, when it was channeled. A neat concept, but gameplay wise it turns out to be dull. I think the cast time is the worst part of the spell, if it was instant and ticked every second or every two seconds, then you can just work to weave it in for a couple of seconds at a time, it could prove to be rather interesting.
    What are you willing to sacrifice?

Quote Originally Posted by kendro1200 View Post
    The only time you're going to use this active mana regen is when little damage is going out, meaning most likely you're going to blanket rejuv the raid. So maybe you'll cast 5-8 rejuvs, and then wait for them to tick while others cast their other low budget heals. You'll have a handful of seconds that you could just sit around and regen mana with. So if you plan accordingly you could get a few rejuvs up, maybe even put something up to charge some mushrooms, then innervate, while things are ticking and then maybe after a couple innervate ticks, plan for your next set of healing targets, set them up, and then go. You could go kitty, and attempt to push buttons while you wait for your mana to come back, but that just puts you at risk of being a pointless damage sponge. I do agree that the model needs some fine tuning, it suffers the same problem as shuffle did in MoP alpha and early beta, when it was channeled. A neat concept, but gameplay wise it turns out to be dull. I think the cast time is the worst part of the spell, if it was instant and ticked every second or every two seconds, then you can just work to weave it in for a couple of seconds at a time, it could prove to be rather interesting.
    Have to say i like this last idea - instant cast, mana every 1 or 2 sec. If that's too op for them make the gain alil less (not ridiculously to the point of pointlessness) and make it every 1 sec for that 8 sec period or like 10 sec, and cancelled by a heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Alltat View Post
    Incredibly so. The supposedly "active" new mana regeneration seems to consist of doing absolutely nothing. They might let us cast free Wraths during that time, but the Wraths won't actually be doing anything particularly useful and aren't at all relevant to Innervate.

It's basically the old "five second rule" from vanilla, which was universally loathed as being terribly boring. Having to plan around periods of healing and periods of not healing sounds interesting on paper, but in practice it really just means you spend a lot of time not doing anything. Your character just stands there, and if there's no fire to avoid standing in you might as well go AFK for the duration because you're not actually playing the game anyway.
    Said my take on this new Innervate better than I expressed it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by kendro1200 View Post
    Make it instant and somehow incorporate jumping to improve the effectiveness of your next Rejuv and it'll be better than the current iteration.

Ok so I haven't looked too much into the next xpac. Will we still have the wrath healing option for talents? If so, casting wrath is not a heal. So by wrath healing you could keep it up even while still contributing, when the 8 sec expires, hot up the raid, put down a few big heals, then go back to wrath healing.

If wrath will cost mana and does not heal next xpac I will not like this change. Everyone else either has an instant mana up or a combination of dmg contribution will mana regain. We would just have to sit on our thumbs for 10 sec cause casting dmg spells that cost mana would defeat the purpose of regenerating mana in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricksterjim View Post
    If wrath will cost mana and does not heal next xpac I will not like this change. Everyone else either has an instant mana up or a combination of dmg contribution will mana regain. We would just have to sit on our thumbs for 10 sec cause casting dmg spells that cost mana would defeat the purpose of regenerating mana in the first place.
    https://twitter.com/eald/status/459571895508434944
    @Celestalon can you please confirm/deny? during innervate Wrath is going to cost 0 or I dreamt it #WoW #RestoDruid
    Celestalon ‏@eald Yes.
    So, yeah is just like I said page one. Read how chakra is going to work for Holy Priest that is basically the same here. You heal then switch to regen doing damage, then go back to heal, all the fight.

Top Druids gonna be those who max wrath DPS + usual healing, bad druids are going to afk during innervate.

The difference between "max" wrath DPS and AFK is going to be beyond inconsequential.

Top Druids, those who actually care about the class, are going to whine to high heaven about this horrendous nuking of our play style.

This ability isn't going to go live as is, anyway. It's just not.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePlanckEnergy View Post
    This ability isn't going to go live as is, anyway. It's just not.
    It won't, no. Half the current resto druid players would reroll or quit after trying a few raids with the new "the more times you go AFK during a fight, the better" play style. Some of the other ones, like Telluric Currents, might make it; weaving in a two second cast for mana worked really well in Cataclysm (broken scaling aside), but the same concept extended to 10+ seconds is quite different.

This is one of those times I wish we didn't have access to data-mined alpha information, because I'd like to believe the devs would have enough sense to discard ideas like this before they ever left the brainstorming meeting. It's sometimes nicer to just get to see the final polished product and not all the terrible work-in-progress snapshots.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hello Druids, Shaman here. I just wanna say that as a Shaman, I really don't like Telluric Currents. By adding TC and mana regen mechanics for all healers it prob means they will be balanced around it. Healing can get pretty hectic, and I like having gaps every once in a while. It lets you reposition yourself, dispel, CC/kite or whatever. Adding an active mana regen mechanic like TC means every available gcd will be filled with LB which sucks, the spell has a slow cast and it just seems tedious and lame. It will also be impossible to utilize in PVP.

I much prefer the traditional regen stuff like passives w/ procs based off crits or certain heal spells that give steady regen of mana plus a %mana CD when you really need a big boost. It works so why break it?

But anyways, reason why I'm posting in the Druid forum is that while comparing each healers regen mechanic, I noticed something about the Druid one. At first look, it seems kinda lame as if you can't use heals for 4-8 seconds depending on if you want both ticks or not... but I realized that is not totally true.

The Druid Innervate ticks until you use MANA on a heal spell, which means if you use a mana free heal or dps then you won't break innervate. Druids have a talent that lets them convert wrath damage into healing, so they can spam wrath for 8 sec while Innervate ticks. Even better though is Omen of Clarity, if you time your Innervate after OoC then you can get a free heal off and not break Innervate..... AND if you spec for the final tier talent Moment of Clarity, your OoC lasts 5 sec giving you mana free heals during that time. So that means you let OoC proc, pop Innervate, and you can get like 4-5 sec of free heals off then just switch to wrath spam until Innervate is done or something.

So it's not as bad as it first looks, and with some clever talent choices you can get around the "no healing" rule. I still think that Shaman's have the worst regen mechanic, and Pally's the best... but in the end they all suck cause the active regen model just doesn't fit with my idea of how a healer should play or micromanage their mana.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
    Hello Druids, Shaman here. I just wanna say that as a Shaman, I really don't like Telluric Currents. By adding TC and mana regen mechanics for all healers it prob means they will be balanced around it. Healing can get pretty hectic, and I like having gaps every once in a while. It lets you reposition yourself, dispel, CC/kite or whatever. Adding an active mana regen mechanic like TC means every available gcd will be filled with LB which sucks, the spell has a slow cast and it just seems tedious and lame. It will also be impossible to utilize in PVP.

I much prefer the traditional regen stuff like passives w/ procs based off crits or certain heal spells that give steady regen of mana plus a %mana CD when you really need a big boost. It works so why break it?

But anyways, reason why I'm posting in the Druid forum is that while comparing each healers regen mechanic, I noticed something about the Druid one. At first look, it seems kinda lame as if you can't use heals for 4-8 seconds depending on if you want both ticks or not... but I realized that is not totally true.

The Druid Innervate ticks until you use MANA on a heal spell, which means if you use a mana free heal or dps then you won't break innervate. Druids have a talent that lets them convert wrath damage into healing, so they can spam wrath for 8 sec while Innervate ticks. Even better though is Omen of Clarity, if you time your Innervate after OoC then you can get a free heal off and not break Innervate..... AND if you spec for the final tier talent Moment of Clarity, your OoC lasts 5 sec giving you mana free heals during that time. So that means you let OoC proc, pop Innervate, and you can get like 4-5 sec of free heals off then just switch to wrath spam until Innervate is done or something.

So it's not as bad as it first looks, and with some clever talent choices you can get around the "no healing" rule. I still think that Shaman's have the worst regen mechanic, and Pally's the best... but in the end they all suck cause the active regen model just doesn't fit with my idea of how a healer should play or micromanage their mana.
    OoC works only on spells that have a cast time. So thats nourish healing touch and regrowth, all of those spells are not as good as say rejuv. Its not like u get OoC proc and can spam insta heals for 20 secs for free. Otherwise I agree, I roll healer to heal not dps.