Poll: Do you like baseline telluric currents for active mana regeneration?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Angry Telluric currents baseline for resto in WoD

Shaman

-Telluric Currents is now a passive ability for Restoration Shaman and causes Lightning Bolt to restore 1.25% of maximum mana each time it is cast instead of costing mana.

So with the new section of active mana regeneration telluric currents is baseline for resto, personally I hated this talent during early cata when it was introduced and never bothered to touch it after trying it once even tough it was the best choice to regenerate mana, I really despise it cause it feels so clunky specially now that we'll have stand nailed in the ground to cast it, and I was glad it was downgraded to a glyph in panda expansion, but now it seems it will be unskipabble to regenerate our mana, I've mained a shammy since 4.0 but this would the final push for me to leave the spec

What do you guys think about it? Do you guys like the change?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromedes View Post
    Welcome to the Alliance, faction of compromises and unfulfilled desires. Want Vrykul? Here is compromise in form of kul tiran half giants we never heard of. Wanna High elves? Here is compromise in form of void elves we never heard of. Wanna broken draenei? awww fuck it
    About ganking ("world pvp") being dead now
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Maybe you could wear a mask and push over little kids while they walk home from school instead?

10+ Year Old Account
    If it cast faster (and provided less mana) it would feel much less unpleasant. The loooooooooooong sluggish cast while doing no healing is both unpleasant and frustrating.

They probably want it to be long so you don't feel tempted to "Lightning Weave" or something but ugh, there must be a better solution.

Sorry, passing through Shammy forum and weighing in based on memories of my old Cata main.

Seems quite a bit better than the other healer methods of mana regen.

Druid's might be better on movement heavy fights, but if we can stand and cast then it seems that shamans got the best one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it would be good if Lightning Bolt had a decent cast time, then it may actually feel nice to cast because you know, lightning is supposed to move at the speed of light and be fast. >_>

Until they lowered the cast time and mana regeneration for it, it'll be an abysmal spell for Restoration... but at least it's better than what Druid's have.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    If it cast faster (and provided less mana) it would feel much less unpleasant. The loooooooooooong sluggish cast while doing no healing is both unpleasant and frustrating.

They probably want it to be long so you don't feel tempted to "Lightning Weave" or something but ugh, there must be a better solution.

Sorry, passing through Shammy forum and weighing in based on memories of my old Cata main.
    your forgetting downtime/low healing fights where you could get by with healing rain and add some extra dps. It was also good for dps critical times like plates

I'm not MS resto.

But being able to cast LB for mana was the only thing that made Dragon soul bearable for me when I had to go resto ms because one of our healers bailed during progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Emophia View Post
    I'm not MS resto.

But being able to cast LB for mana was the only thing that made Dragon soul bearable for me when I had to go resto ms because one of our healers bailed during progression.
    I was resto then. TC was really OP for Madness; I loved it, lol.

I don't see an issue with it being baseline. There are usually some periods of down time or less strenuous healing when you could cast a LB here and there. I'll take it over the reworked Innervate for druids. Plus we'll still have MTT at it's full effect for us, while it's nerfed for the other healers (source).

I would prefer a change to Mana Tide Totem and a solution to two problems in one go.
    In addition to that, from a lore point of view, why the hell would lightning bring you mana? It doesn't make much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithgroth View Post
    I would prefer a change to Mana Tide Totem and a solution to two problems in one go.
    In addition to that, from a lore point of view, why the hell would lightning bring you mana? It doesn't make much sense.
    Telluric Currents means something like the energy travels back to the shaman by way of the ground. It's a real thing in our planet too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telluric_current
    Everything that is, is alive.

Agaor - Enhancement Shaman

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shammypie View Post
    your forgetting downtime/low healing fights where you could get by with healing rain and add some extra dps. It was also good for dps critical times like plates
    Oh, yeah, it's not a 'problem' mechanically in its 2.5s cast form. I don't think that hurts it from a balance standpoint.

It's simply unpleasant. Even with nothing to heal, slooooooooooooooooow caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasts are just so... slow. And boring. Maybe if Tidal Waves affected LB and buffed its mana return slightly so there was some interest to the Shammy 'DPS-to-Mana' cycle.

Or maybe it's just my personality and that's why I rolled Monk with its 1s GCD and Shammies like long slow casts. idk.

Deleted
    I don't really understand why you would be against this as a resto shaman (unless it was some kind of trade off). Atm the glyph is kind of crap because our regen is so high that it's a wasted slot (maybe this was different in earlier MOP tiers not sure I wasn't healing then). In the current state of the game I feel like they could remove the ability altogether or buff the regen loads and it would still be insignificant. It would be nice to rework TC to give us more damage to keep up with other healers rather than give us regen we don't need. And lets face it; no healer likes to commit to very long casts when their homies are dying (especially with the pathetic amount of damage LB does).

Quote Originally Posted by Devos Songare View Post
    I was resto then. TC was really OP for Madness; I loved it, lol.

I don't see an issue with it being baseline. There are usually some periods of down time or less strenuous healing when you could cast a LB here and there. I'll take it over the reworked Innervate for druids. Plus we'll still have MTT at it's full effect for us, while it's nerfed for the other healers (source).
    The issue that we'll balanced in a way we MUST use it to regenrate our mana or going OOM, and for many including myself it wasn't compelling during cata when it was introduced it wasn't during MoP and will be even less welcome in WoD once we have to stay nailed to the ground to cast, blizz should realize that if I would want to spam lighting bolt when I have nothing else worth casting out of CD I would be ele not resto.

PD: Druids being in a worst shape with innervate doesn't make feel better about shammies, just makes feel bad for them

Quote Originally Posted by Blueslims View Post
    I don't really understand why you would be against this as a resto shaman (unless it was some kind of trade off). Atm the glyph is kind of crap because our regen is so high that it's a wasted slot (maybe this was different in earlier MOP tiers not sure I wasn't healing then). In the current state of the game I feel like they could remove the ability altogether or buff the regen loads and it would still be insignificant. It would be nice to rework TC to give us more damage to keep up with other healers rather than give us regen we don't need. And lets face it; no healer likes to commit to very long casts when their homies are dying (especially with the pathetic amount of damage LB does).
    My issue is that it would become mandatory to use on every fight without an option to opt out of that playstyle for those who don't like it
    Last edited by rpdrichard; 2014-04-25 at 03:12 AM.
    Welcome to the Alliance, faction of compromises and unfulfilled desires. Want Vrykul? Here is compromise in form of kul tiran half giants we never heard of. Wanna High elves? Here is compromise in form of void elves we never heard of. Wanna broken draenei? awww fuck it
    Maybe you could wear a mask and push over little kids while they walk home from school instead?

Quote Originally Posted by rpdrichard View Post
    The issue that we'll balanced in a way we MUST use it to regenrate our mana or going OOM
    Could you source where Blizzard said such? I may have missed the blue post/tweet/blog about it.

In Cata it wasn't mandatory. The only fight I recall using it on was Madness because it was amazing since it scaled with the damage done then.

My issue is that it would become mandatory to use on every fight without an option to opt out of that playstyle for those who don't like it
    I, honestly, don't see how making this baseline means it will "become mandatory to use on every fight without an option to opt out". Until we are able to test this ourselves it's still up in the air.

I do respect your opinion and your concerns; I'm just not one to get worked up about the changes though, until I can actually play with them and see how they work. When I am able to do that, I'll air my concerns on the Blizzard forum.
    Last edited by Divos; 2014-04-25 at 04:33 AM.

Don't worry I don't like TC either, but I am a fan of the riptide = faster lightning-bolt cast...to unno break it up?

Hell yes. The old Telluric Currents was one of the most interesting things about the spec back in Dragon Soul. The way it scaled was obviously broken, but weaving in lightning bolts was a lot of fun. Having your mana regeneration based on casting things all the time rather than regenerating mana based on doing nothing (or casting puny heals that heal for nothing) was awesome.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

I was thrilled when i saw this in the notes. Since Cata, i havent dropped this glyph because I think it has amazing utility. Once you get into the habit, you will find yourself casting LB all the time during any down time. It is a testament to a player's skill if he/she can get great mileage out of it.
    And even if you dont like TC, you dont have to use it; you just get a free glyph.

10+ Year Old Account
    The issue that we'll balanced in a way we MUST use it to regenrate our mana or going OOM, and for many including myself it wasn't compelling during cata when it was introduced it wasn't during MoP and will be even less welcome in WoD once we have to stay nailed to the ground to cast, blizz should realize that if I would want to spam lighting bolt when I have nothing else worth casting out of CD I would be ele not resto.

I agree with you completely. I hate TC. As I said in another thread, its fun for a while when leveling or in dungeons but in raids it becomes annoying. It's not a fun or compelling game mechanic for me. Its a slow cast, and you will often stop midway to heal someone. I also gotta target an enemy instead of focus on my allies. It doesn't scale off damage like before so its not as good as the "old TC" people get nostalgic about.

I don't see anything good coming out of this if it has ANY effect on our mana regen balance. If we can compete just fine with other classes without it, then its a nice bonus, but I don't see that happening. I am actually surprised why they even added this, and for ALL healers, when it was obviously not working for Shaman. It was somewhat tolerable when we could cast LB while moving, if they add that to the passive I might be less hesitant about it.

As a healer, I don't want to be constantly spamming all the time. We need breaks and I'd rather do other stuff during that like reposition myself, dispels, or whatever. This is even more important in PVP, where we will never utilize TC, so if our mana regen is balanced around it we will be worse off then without it.

PD: Druids being in a worst shape with innervate doesn't make feel better about shammies, just makes feel bad for them
    I personally think Shaman has one of the worst regen mechanics compared to the other classes. I got reasons why, but take Druid for example....

You said Druid looked worse, but I just glanced over their tree and realized a few things..... specifically that Innervate only breaks when they use mana on a healing spell....

-Druids use alot of hots so they can go for a few seconds without healing.... their 2 mana ticks for innervate are at 4 and 8 secs, so going atleast 4 sec without healing is easy. In PVP they spend time kiting too which could easily occupy 4-8 secs if they wanted.

-But they can cheat in a few ways, like timing their innervate when Omen of clarity procs for a free heal (that doesn't use mana which would break the buff), as well as Natures swiftness.

-They can also use their talents so damage spells>healing like "dream of cenarius" to make wrath heal an ally, which they can spam while innervate is ticking.

-The biggest "cheat" I found is this......They can also use their last tier talent "moment of clarity" which works with omen of clarity so they can cast heal spells for 5 seconds without using any mana. This means all they gotta do is time innervate with omen of clarity and they don't have to stop healing right away, only 3 out of 8 sec.

So all that makes their drawback of "no heals for 8 secs" seem less negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Devos Songare View Post
    Could you source where Blizzard said such? I may have missed the blue post/tweet/blog about it.

In Cata it wasn't mandatory. The only fight I recall using it on was Madness because it was amazing since it scaled with the damage done then.

I, honestly, don't see how making this baseline means it will "become mandatory to use on every fight without an option to opt out". Until we are able to test this ourselves it's still up in the air.

I do respect your opinion and your concerns; I'm just not one to get worked up about the changes though, until I can actually play with them and see how they work. When I am able to do that, I'll air my concerns on the Blizzard forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethyx View Post
    I was thrilled when i saw this in the notes. Since Cata, i havent dropped this glyph because I think it has amazing utility. Once you get into the habit, you will find yourself casting LB all the time during any down time. It is a testament to a player's skill if he/she can get great mileage out of it.
    And even if you dont like TC, you dont have to use it; you just get a free glyph.
    The reason I say it will become mandatory, and not just a bonus of a free glyph, it's that with the changes to active mana regeneration for all clases blizz is going to balance shammies with the assumption that everyone uses Telluric currents to recover their mana on all fights, I already tried Telluric currents during the time it was OP in Cata and hated it completely I don't need to give it a second chance to know I don't like that playstyle and if blizz balace our class around it there will be no choice but use it. I insist if would want lighting bolt as my filler spell I would play elemental not resto.

PD: And it seems that druid's isn't as bad as ours looking at the whole picture as Protoman just pointed

Ugh... I loved my Resto shaman in Cata without TC. It just feels clunky as hell. I would rather be able to cast whenever I need to instead of canceling a LB to cast a heal when I need it. I agree with rpdrichard that TC base will most likely be centered around how Resto gets mana back. Blizzard doesn't bake something like this in and say 'lolz its okay we wont balance around it, we just wanted the 2% who use it to get it for free.' No a change a like this usually is indicative of how other parts of the class will play out. Freaking shame really as I had thought about going back to my Shaman in WoD but I guess I'll just stick to Ret and Holy (Paladin) for the time being.

I don't know why ALL the healers have to have an active mana regen. How about a healing class that doesn't have to dps to maximize its mana regen?

Disc priest - dps
    Holy priest - dps
    Monk - dps
    Shaman - dps
    Druid - doesn't have to dps, but if you're a HC raider dps would probably be demanded of you during innervate.
    Holy Pally - I'm somewhat certain holy pally have a judgement that restores mana(?), but their "active mana regen" model is by far my favorite right now.

I would much rather spam HW on the tank and get resurgence procs from water shield then awkwardly try and weave lightning bolt into my healing.

Right now I am 10/14 heroic, I love healing but dps bores the **** outa me. Please give me a way to keep it out of my game-play. =/

Unless dps is a super extra bonus! X) sometimes I don't mind throwing lightning bolts out there because healing is going absurdly smooth.
    Last edited by Rafal; 2014-04-25 at 11:43 PM.