Poll: Should Eyes of the Beast be re-implemented?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    not without giving it purpose. they want to reduce button bloat. EotB just didnt really have any meaningful use. fun is ok, but at some point it should also have actual use. otherwise, meh, i can do without it.
    Button bloat means you HAVE to use them in rotation, fun buttons (EotB) are in no way "bloat" since it doesn't influence fights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eye of Kilrogg is essential for getting warlock's green fire.

(Someone said they'd like it removed)
    Lock rocks, made to order.

10+ Year Old Account
    EotB never contributed to the ability bloat problem. The skills Blizzard is trying to solve with their ability prunning are those that aren't very clear on the use and end up taking unnecessary action bar slots.

It's the Sinister Strike vs Mutilate problem Assassination Rogues used to have. For a raider the difference is clear, but for a new player it was hard to tell when they should use either skill so it makes sense to simply remove SS from Assassination Rogues Spell Books. EotB on the other hand was never a part of anyone's rotation, it clearly brings no immediate dps increase and thus was just a fun skill to mess around with. It's right there with Warlocks Eye of Killrogg, Druids Aquatic Form and Shamans Water Walking, so yeah, I'd be ok with bringing it back.

I believe I've read a blue post saying they just can't bring it back though because they've accidentally deleted to code for it and now they face themselves with some programming hurdles they need to fix before doing that. It's the Main Bag problem all over again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    I would like to apologize for what happened to Eyes of the Beast. We had very good intentions of trying to prune abilities for classes, but made a mistake in that some of the things we pruned weren't really the abilities that were confusing players. They don't take action bar space. You're not throwing down Eyes of the Beast as part of your single-target rotation—unless you're a really kind of weird hunter. So we took it out and then there was a bug and the programers came to us and said, "What are the chances you're gonna keep this ability?" And we were like, "I don't know. We don't think so." And they clipped off that part of the code. So it's not like we can just stick the ability back in and it's back again. It would be a non-trivial amount of work for our engineers to add that back in, which would come at the expense of some other cool ability we'd like to add. If there's a way we can figure out to do it, we know there's a lot of requests from the Hunter community to have it back. So it's on our radar. I just don't have a great solution yet. (BlizzCon 2013)

not without giving it purpose. they want to reduce button bloat. EotB just didnt really have any meaningful use. fun is ok, but at some point it should also have actual use. otherwise, meh, i can do without it.
    Reducing button bloat is targeted at abilities used for core rotation abilities. EotB and other superfluous abilities have nothing to do with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    I would like to apologize for what happened to Eyes of the Beast. We had very good intentions of trying to prune abilities for classes, but made a mistake in that some of the things we pruned weren't really the abilities that were confusing players. They don't take action bar space. You're not throwing down Eyes of the Beast as part of your single-target rotation—unless you're a really kind of weird hunter. So we took it out and then there was a bug and the programers came to us and said, "What are the chances you're gonna keep this ability?" And we were like, "I don't know. We don't think so." And they clipped off that part of the code. So it's not like we can just stick the ability back in and it's back again. It would be a non-trivial amount of work for our engineers to add that back in, which would come at the expense of some other cool ability we'd like to add. If there's a way we can figure out to do it, we know there's a lot of requests from the Hunter community to have it back. So it's on our radar. I just don't have a great solution yet. (BlizzCon 2013)

Reducing button bloat is targeted at abilities used for core rotation abilities. EotB and other superfluous abilities have nothing to do with this.
    That entire situation just shows the issues prevalent within blizzard for the last few years. There's a real disconnect between what the players really want and what blizzard think they want. Blizzard constantly say they're removing so much as it's confusing people, yet in so many cases people enjoy the customisation and not being forced onto rails at every possible opportunity

I think WoD is a better time than any to re-implement EotB.

A lot of players are disturbed or bothered by some of the iconic abilities being removed in WoD, and while it was inevitable due to button bloat, the spellbook shouldn't feel barren. Players have voiced many times that they want the ability back, and not just the vocal minority. If you have a social guild of any sort, go into it and bring up EotB and you'll see what I mean. Nobody ever says "yeah that ability was lame and it should've been removed". I personally only had my hunter as an alt but I loved doing stupid crap with it like MCing my beast into enemy faction towns and picking off low levels.

Quote Originally Posted by CodyHoops View Post
    I always liked using it as kind of a Hunter's Eye of Kilrogg, which worked well for cats, and also could work well for Spirit Beasts.
    Either remove Eye of Kilrogg, and Mindvision, or bring back this, and Far Sight.

- - - Updated - - -

Eye of Kilrogg is essential for getting warlock's green fire.

(Someone said they'd like it removed)
    No it's not.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    No it's not.
    How did you do the part where you avoid the ghosts before Requiem of Souls in Black Temple?
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it was awesome.

15+ Year Old Account
    not without giving it purpose. they want to reduce button bloat.
    I don't think eob would contribute to button bloat. It's not something you would hotkey I guess.

I'd be happy even if it were just a glyph.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agree on fun. The game isn't about having fun, its about official blizzard FUN activities (mainly raiding in pve).
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2014-04-24 at 04:49 PM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

I can't understand how 30% could possibly want it to NOT be reimplemented especially if it doesn't take much time, unless they fall into the "Everything Blizzard does is great and unquestionable" category

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galbrei View Post

I believe I've read a blue post saying they just can't bring it back though because they've accidentally deleted to code for it and now they face themselves with some programming hurdles they need to fix before doing that. It's the Main Bag problem all over again.
    this is like whenthey say they don't have a copy of old game-state server code.

Multi-billion dollar corporation isn't 2 kids in their garage who forgot to backup something - its an entity with dedicated off-site archival/storage with every single version of everything that got a number saved.

edit - read the blue post, ok, so now eotb re-integration of code would cost a new ability or new content. Ok blizzard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    That entire situation just shows the issues prevalent within blizzard for the last few years. There's a real disconnect between what the players really want and what blizzard think they want. Blizzard constantly say they're removing so much as it's confusing people, yet in so many cases people enjoy the customisation and not being forced onto rails at every possible opportunity
    that quote is damning, mainly because of the fact they have folks making class decisions who don't understand what the abilities they are deleting are or are not for.

My point is - blizzard's attitude was, explicitly, that it was ok to remove the ability, they didn't want it in. Now they are sorry, but so what? it might have been fun, but it wasnt FUN.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Could make an item that does it; put it with all the mop fun toys in the fun toys bag thing?
    Dwarfs, gods among humanoids, giants among... gnomes...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hitch-hikers' Guide To The Galaxy: Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
    "Oh freddled gruntbuggly/thy micturations are to me/As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
    Groop I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes. And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
    Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Does anyone remember the Hunter ability Eyes of the Beast? Do you think they should re-implement this fun ability?
    You mean the one where dick hunters would flag for PvP, and then put their pet out in a lowbie spot where it blended with other NPC animals, and when the lowbie would attack it, you would kill the other player? Same one?

I answered no. They removed it for a reason, and personally I don't care what the reason was.

10+ Year Old Account
    It should just be made a minor glyph so if people want the extra button, they can get it.

yes. they've removed far too many fun abilities from the game as it is and button bloat is a poor excuse since nobody's likely to hotkey abilities they only use once in a while for some fun

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    You mean the one where dick hunters would flag for PvP, and then put their pet out in a lowbie spot where it blended with other NPC animals, and when the lowbie would attack it, you would kill the other player? Same one?

I answered no. They removed it for a reason, and personally I don't care what the reason was.
    The reason was a mistake that they distinctly admitted, so no. It was an accident.

Eotb didn't cause button bloat because it didn't really have a meaningful use. It was fun and could be used for scouting, just like eagle eye.

Who doesn't remember eyes of the beast? We need it back. Blizzard has already admitted that they would bring it up, that deleting it was a mistake, and that the only thing in the way is the fact that they completely deleted it and would have to remake it from scratch.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer