Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Great changes imho. I'm only slightly worried at Pestilence, because it is a little clunkier (melee range) as an AOE aggro tool than the PBAoE Blood Boil, but I'm sure we'll adjust.

Death Coil replacing Rune Strike is clearly a buff. The worms, well... They weren't causing any button bloat, but I don't mind that they're gone to be honest.

Deleted
    My one concern with replacing RS with death coil is that silences will lock out our RP spender. Other than that the changes look good.

When I saw the patch notes and it said it removed all that stuff I almost flipped every table in the county

Then I saw they were basically just making blood boil and pestilence the same thing and letting you use death coil instead of rune strike, it was ok. I think that last change was because a lot of people (myself included) were sad about losing our option to use a ranged attack RP spender. I don't death coil often when I tank, primarily when kiting shit doing challenge modes really, but i'd definitely feel the loss there. I'm glad if we only get to have one, that it is death coil, although rune strike does feel pretty iconic at this point. Kinda sad.

Losing blood worms i'm kinda on the fence about. They "can" save people or contribute a lot to healing, but they generally don't because they tend to explode when everyone is already topped off, and basically only heal melee people (not including the tank most of the time on large bosses) and generally don't even have a chance to hit ranged players either. Since raids tend to minimize melee because they're horrible to bring, blood worms tend to not do much. Honestly the only time in all of recent content where I even notice they exist are on Malkorok because of the nature of the absorb bubble and also, again, in challenge modes where you tend to stack up a lot.

Despite being occasionally useful, they were extremely annoying at times as well. Being completely unable to control them, unable to dismiss them, unable to stop them from spawning, was all quite annoying. In challenge modes there are several points where I have to stop attacking whatever it is i'm attacking at the time just to not risk spawning any blood worms because having one spawn would fuck us over. Best example is the 3rd boss in Siege of Nizhao temple, where I pull all the trash on top of the boss and then use bombs to blow it all up instantly. You must wait until the first wave of spawned adds get there before you pull it all to minimize the time you have to tank that shit before it gets bombed because it's an ass ton of damage on you. Less time also means the healing adds won't heal the boss.

If a blood worm spawns shortly before the boss starts to run away to throw up his bubble, the stupid ass worm will follow him, body pulling all that shit. Then you have to deal with it all much too early, have to tank it for a long time while waiting on bombs to spawn, and also generally have the boss healed by healer adds back to 100% health.

Blood worms fuck things up.

I am sad at losing the little buggers though. More than their usefulness, i'll just miss the cool factor. I hate seeing the ability removed just because blizzard keeps forcing homogenization down our throats and doesn't like the fact one tank can occasionally, at random, AOE heal now that they are fucking up healing in the expansion. They don't want anyone to be able to help healers out of the hole they're diggin for em.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cielarath View Post
    My one concern with replacing RS with death coil is that silences will lock out our RP spender. Other than that the changes look good.
    This is a very good point.

DK's get so fucked over by silence... Can't AMS, Can't IBF, can't blood boil (prolly can't pestilence either), can't taunt, etc. And then not being able to use our RP on top of all that... That'll be very shitty.

It's kind of sad I was just thinking to myself the other day how fucking NICE it'll be that disarms are gone from the game because i'm tired of being locked out of death strike and rune strike when I get disarmed, now they're changing the RP spender to be silence-able... Oy...
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

15+ Year Old Account
    What's Rune Strike? A generic "strike" ability, there's nothing iconic or necromantic to it. Death Coil is our thing, and I like that Blood will be using it again. As for Blood Boil, since it lost its first animation, it looks like some odd kind of warrior's shout visually. Pestilence fits DK theme much more. Death, decay, pestilence and unholy magic are truly DK thing.

And who the hell even cares for Nerubian Carapace?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    DK's get so fucked over by silence... Can't AMS, Can't IBF, can't blood boil (prolly can't pestilence either), can't taunt, etc. And then not being able to use our RP on top of all that... That'll be very shitty.
    Who's gonna spend a silence on a DK? Especially now that silence effects become rare?

15+ Year Old Account
    Rune strike was introduced as a revenge-like ability for DK tanks and gradually has been changed into the uninteresting rp dump it is now. It's totally fine to let it go.

And Rune Strike is gone, instead we get Death Coil. So yet another attack (which feels good in the MoP rotation) gets removed to make place for an Unholy ability.
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention. You seem to have poor memory, death coil were used in WotLK for blood, where even the talent "Sudden doom" (that now belongs to unholy), were a talent point for blood specc. So yeah, cataclysm may introduced RS, but sure as hell not icon for blood

Deleted
    They seem to be changing blood DK's every other day?

I'm not keeping up with all these changes as much as I should, but weren't they on about Rune Strike generating an absorb shield the other day? I'm guessing that idea has gone now?

The problem I see so far is that pestilence has no damage and only spread diseases. That will make dungeon trash aoe tanking more "clunky". As it is now, you can throw a blood boil without the diseases on targets to make a small damage/threat and then apply diseases and spread. Now, you have to apply diseases first and then use pestilence, mean 3 gcd without aoe... in a random dungeon group where players even start dps before you it will cause some unpleasant experience.

But maybe they will add damage to pestilence or make Heart strike affects more targets.. we have to wait first and see. But in my opinion, Blood DK was the last class needed ability removal...the abilities we use are very few..
    Last edited by papajohn4; 2014-04-24 at 11:55 AM.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

15+ Year Old Account
    Really like all the changes apart from two; Removing rune haste from blood presence and blood parasite. Bloodworms were mostly useless, but still very fun those few time they exploded for a 2 million heal. Removing rune haste concerns me, I DO NOT want to end up like rogues, horribly slow and clunky at the start and super spammy at the end.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    But maybe they will add damage to pestilence snip
    Pretty sure they already mentioned they'll bake Blood Boil damage into Pestilence.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraeth View Post
    Pretty sure they already mentioned they'll bake Blood Boil damage into Pestilence.
    then I don't see any problem here It is now going on the aesthetic side which I don't really have a preference
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    In terms of the feel of the class and abilities, i dont like that fact were getting more unholy abilities than blood, we are, blood, dks :/

In terms of performance the RP dump ability now being ranged? That's awesome. For BB/Pest, is pestilence gonna cost a blood rune or unholy? cause unholy would ruin rotations, giving up DS for it. Also, will that Rune Shield be applied to death coil?

The loss of blood parasite is gonna suck, it wasnt a button, a passive, it was a life saver sometimes, DP + 400k parasite = full hp after a purgatory, forget about it if you had glyphed vamp blood up xD.

The only thing I'd love to see added, prob op but, is a button with no GCD or CD, on toggle, to redirect your self heals to a nearby injured ally OR to a set target, and the no GCD would be good so you can toggle on and off fast if needed. Even if this was a cd that lasted 10 sec on a 1-2 min cd, and went to one target or anyone, Id still take it, we dont have any raid cds besides a brez and AMZ which i never use unless its heroic sha, and thats cause shas tank dmg is hilariously low.
    Last edited by Xkiller9000; 2014-04-24 at 12:20 PM.

I'm overall loving the changes. As a blood death knight, I felt roiling blood was mandatory. Now that it's baseline, and the replacement is Plaguebringer, it's a change I'm VERY happy about.

I really couldn't care about the removal of the Nerubian Rune. Seriously, it was a onehander rune, and currently, blood death knights don't dual wield. Not to mention the fact that blood death knights CANT dual wield in WoD, making it effectively a useless rune, aside from the spiffy glow.

Removal of the blood worms was something I was a bit "awh.." about, but that's perhaps the only thing.

The removal of runestrike in favor death coil is something I can get behind. I saw runestrike as just another runic power dump strike. A simple melee strike that was just that, a runic power dump.
    Now that death coil is the go to runic power dump, paired with Plaguebearer, I see it as a really lovely change.

I'm just curious if they keep the perk they had going for Rune Strike, and switch it for death coil. From what I gathered before these changes was that they intended death knights to be this absorbtion tank, using absorbtion shields to compensate for the lack of a physical shield block, a lot more so than currently. Would be sad to see that go, and hilarious to see if they forgot about it.
    Last edited by susaku; 2014-04-24 at 12:48 PM.

Special thanks to Katana Angel for the lovely signature, check out the other things, at "Request a Signature" thread.

Deleted
    As far as I see the change from RS to DC isn't bad at all, will mean we will be better at picking up adds that are not standing in our face a bit more easy so I'm happy with that.

Pretty sure the BB dmg is going to get baked into pestilience so I don't see any fuzz to be made here.

Regarding the bloodworms getting cut, tbh I think that's a good thing. We will have less selfheal meaning we might struggle soloing as well as we do now, but having something that rng as worms just doesn't suit tanking, even less due to blizz wanting tanking to be a reactive role towards what's going on. So yeah, glad they are gone cause then hopefully we can get that selfhealing built into a more controlable ability.

overall I think the changes towards dk tanking are looking somewhat exciting, as far as I see it, it looks like they are aiming towards blood being more versatile in terms of either taking 0 dmg cause your keeping yourself up, or you take too much dmg which makes you feel squishy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    I'm really torn on the Rune Strike change. This is a buff since it's ranged but I'm kind of annoyed by the idea of standing there casting spells with my bare hands when a monster the size of a school bus is swinging at me. I much prefer the idea of hitting things with my big scary sword as my power spender. It's better but it just feels wrong to me..
    That's the same feeling I have. I get that they're trying to get it so specs have a little more shared across them than having a whole new toolset - and DK's are one of the worst offenders in that arena - but throwing death coils around while tanking feels like the old unholy tanking in Wrath that I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraeth View Post
    Yup, they are.

15+ Year Old Account
    NOOOOOOOO
    •Blood Parasite has been removed.
    Now i cant cheese the healing meters /cries
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

I like all these changes. BB/Pest was redundant, but basically always made me pick Rolling Blood because it was too convenient not to. Death Coil is more iconic to DK, was heavily used by Blood DK in WotLK when the class was introduced, and is ranged vs melee. Hope they keep the mini shield that Rune Strike was going to give and have it work with Death Coil though, liked that mechanic. Blood Parasites was stupid, totally passive and uncontrollable, too small to ever notice the actual mob. Self healing will be balanced around them not existing, so don't think self healing will change, and they are purposefully removing passive raid heals from non healers. Blood Worms have been the most underwhelming (visually) thing since they first were introduced, glad to see them go.

I am definitely in the camp that would have preferred BB to stay, Pest to be removed, and the effect of Pest to be baked into BB but I don't really mind. I prefer the sound, visual, and that you don't need a target for BB, but they could very well change Pest to have a different visual, sound and require no target, we have no idea yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by v1perz53 View Post
    I like all these changes. BB/Pest was redundant, but basically always made me pick Rolling Blood because it was too convenient not to. Death Coil is more iconic to DK, was heavily used by Blood DK in WotLK when the class was introduced, and is ranged vs melee. Hope they keep the mini shield that Rune Strike was going to give and have it work with Death Coil though, liked that mechanic. Blood Parasites was stupid, totally passive and uncontrollable, too small to ever notice the actual mob. Self healing will be balanced around them not existing, so don't think self healing will change, and they are purposefully removing passive raid heals from non healers. Blood Worms have been the most underwhelming (visually) thing since they first were introduced, glad to see them go.

I am definitely in the camp that would have preferred BB to stay, Pest to be removed, and the effect of Pest to be baked into BB but I don't really mind. I prefer the sound, visual, and that you don't need a target for BB, but they could very well change Pest to have a different visual, sound and require no target, we have no idea yet.
    They basically make Pest BE a BB with RB talent. Just decided to have pest be the one to stay. Personally I prefer Pestilence thematically than BB.

I'm a bit sad at the loss of blood boil, it had a nice animation which pestilence lacked and really fit with the blood dk. Plus it was useable without needing a target which every so often was a nice QOL thing.

Well, I guess I need to go get used to playing a paladin. Sigh