Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Does music give you a few extra skill points in PvP

Does music give you a few extra skill points in PvP?

If the answer is yes, what type of music gives you the biggest improvement? And what kind of improvements?
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

Deleted
    When I listen to Two Steps from Hell I usually grow in size (irl) and get Gladiator

Quote Originally Posted by Exeris View Post

If the answer is yes, what type of music gives you the biggest improvement? And what kind of improvements?
    This can't be true in gaming...
    This can be true when running a marathon

Deleted
    Yes, definitely! I don't raid anymore, so everything I do apart from PvP I do at a much lower attention level (dailies, LFR, timeless isle, scenarios, LFD...). Non-pvp activities relax me and I play those aspects of the game to chill from work, stressful day etc.

If the answer is yes, what type of music gives you the biggest improvement?
    When I'm doing RBGs or Arenas (I do competitive PvP as HPally), I will probably have some quiet background music on (due to prioritizing Vent/Mumble/TS/Skype). That would most often include songs like Eminem's Mosh, Dr Dre's album 2001, selection of Evanescence, Linkin Park, Muse, Metallica, Nightwish, that sort of thing.

On the other hand, when I'm in random BGs (usually on my few dps toons) I prefer not being on voice comms so I can blast System of a Down and Disturbed (favorite 2), Rammstein, Iron Maiden, Obrint Pas, and such.

And what kind of improvements?
    Music helps me get more alert and hyped, helping me to "transition" from casual chilling to playing at my max skill level.

Whilst I think music makes you feel like you're playing better (especially in PvP) because of the music emphasizing your attacks, it does lead to lesser awareness and I'd say overall lowers how well you play.

That said it doesn't matter much, I play music whenever I'm on WoW. I just have it super quiet as some nice ambience.

INB4:

WUB WUB MC SHABBBBA SKIBB WUBBBB DROP THE BASS POW POW BRAPPPP

I listen to Dubstep coz it makes me play better, and coz I'm edgy as fuck.
    Last edited by Anzen; 2014-04-25 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaivia View Post
    Oh it can be true for gaming, it helps me time my abilities and helps me focus.

I can lose focus quite easily, probably a big factor

Obviously nothing that drowns out the sound effects, don't think that would work out to well.

edit: and it has to be a song with some kind of "attitude", the kind of song that says get out of my way.
    Last edited by Exeris; 2014-04-25 at 11:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

i'dd say i get like 5% better when i listen to "let the bodies hit the floor" or "another one bites the dust"
    Lagg dosen't exist. Only bad Internetz...
    Paladins isent OP Blizz just made all ohter classes weaker.

Deleted
    Music makes thingsm ore fun such as gaming or homework, but ultimately it is a distraction and causes you to play worse.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    Pretty sure I heard that one recently.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fast paced Metal.

Being a drummer I use the rhythm to keep in time with GCD's.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaivia View Post
    Anything that has an impact on your mental state can be a big help. Music is one of them so yes it can and often does help when doing any activity.

It's different for everyone, some people have a better focus with total silence and others do when music is blasting through their headsets.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    others do when music is blasting through their headsets.
    Can't say I agree with this in the slightest.

Haven't seen a PvP tournament or a top guild speed race where a couple of the contestants have subwoofers mounted to poles inches from their heads blasting out music, because it helps their gameplay.

Deleted
    Whilst I think music makes you feel like you're playing better (especially in PvP) because of the music emphasizing your attacks, it does lead to lesser awareness and I'd say overall lowers how well you play.

That said it doesn't matter much, I play music whenever I'm on WoW. I just have it super quiet as some nice ambience.

INB4:

I listen to Dubstep coz it makes me play better, and coz I'm edgy as fuck.
    Like in every genre you have good and bad music. Someone who dismisses a song without giving it a chance is a douche to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't say I agree with this in the slightest.
    I know some where it helps, for me any song I like helps...weither it's classic, dubstep, rock, metal, rap, etc...if it something I truely enjoy is playing on my headset my focus improves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Contrary to the opinions of some people in this thread, I find that music does indeed help tremendously. When I need to get something done, I put music on and I can honestly say, I focus a LOT more. It really helped me get Prove Assailant, it's caused me to lead enormous amounts of BG wins in the past while staying calm and focused and when I dps or pvp with music on, I do feel much more focused and alert and tend to do better usually. But I don't always need it. It definitely helps with long grinds though. In Diablo as well. I don't listen to music when I'm learning important things though like raid mechanics or when I'm playing with people. Also helps that I use ATH M50's and a sound card. My shit bumps =)

Some of the top players in the world stream and they all have music on all the time, so there's that too.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

I know some where it helps, for me any song I like helps...weither it's classic, dubstep
    Ahh that now makes sense, that's why you implied I was a douche earlier for not liking nubstep.

if it something I truely enjoy is playing on my headset my focus improves.
    I'm going to call up the minister for the department of work later, alert him into my findings of loud music improving focus. How stupid has everyone been to have to work without headsets and music on when it improves focus. Hell I reckon if I had a subwoofer underneath my desk and maybe two speakers either side of my head, I'd be able to get through triple the workload.

This should apply to all things.

Chess tournaments should have dirty bass lines roaring out to help the players focus.

Snooker players should be allowed dubstep to be echoed through the hall to help them focus.

It's all clear to me now.

Usually calling the shots via voice comm, music, while definetly increasing my focus in solo play, is just a disturbance when i try to communicate with my team.

If i'm chilling, i will use music. If i want to win and contribute to the team efforts. I will go without or with very quiet music.

Well, I do like listening to music when I play, but I don't think it has any effect on my playing. If I'm really focused, I don't even know what song I'm listening to. When theres voice comms involved, I don't have any music on, because I need to hear wtf people are saying

Oh yeah. I seem to play a lot more aggressively when I listen to music, with a better focus on control. Like I'll target swap a lot more, and with better efficiency. (I play a Rogue).

It's usually something like Blue Stahli (Doubt by Blue Stahli is an AMAZING PVP song for me), Nero Argento, or Celldweller. Any kind of music with an energetic beat usually does it for me. Techno music can work. For example, Re-Sublimity by Kotoko. Metal music can work (But very rarely). Coffin Fodder/Hollowed be thy name by Cradle of Filth for example. Rap can work sometimes (Not going to name bands xD). Sonic Syndicate - Turn it up is probably one of my favorite PVP songs, and I can't STAND listening to it any other time besides that, which I find kind-of strange and is the only song like that for me (Holy run on). Pendelum is a good band that I listen to when I PVP. Witchcraft, Blood Sugar, and propane nightmares specifically.

Oddly none of the songs/bands I listed are things I listen to much when I'm NOT gaming..lol.

Deleted
    you get alot better playing with communication than with music

Quote Originally Posted by koekai View Post
    you get alot better playing with communication than with music
    pretty much this