Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Were Badges of Justice really that bad of an idea?

IIRC, back in TBC, I would farm Karazhan for badges to obtain new gear for myself, even though I out-geared Karazhan. If they implemented badges back into the game today, wouldn't this allow people to farm older raids with a purpose? Why were badges removed anyway? I honestly wouldn't mind if they came back. It would give us more to do, no?

They were replaced by Valor points, which gives you gear for rep, and getting 'catchup' gear in others way like later 5 man dungeons, Timeless Isle BoA etc.

BoJs are exactly the same as VP/JP really. Which sorta did and sorta didn't work in the way you want it to - in Wrath and Cata you could do old raids to cap but now there's so many other ways to cap not a lot of people do it that way. I still see a fair few old raid runs in openraid though.

Very interested to see what they do in WoD since I don't think there will be any VP/JP anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, you had to loot them (and remember there was NO AoE looting back then). Forgetting to loot badges was really disheartening...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Although I didn't play during Wrath I really liked the concept of weekly raid quests; perhaps they could implement something similar.

T14 and T15 raids still give Valor, what are you on about?

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Yeah, you had to loot them (and remember there was NO AoE looting back then). Forgetting to loot badges was really disheartening...
    On the flip side, I always felt it rewarding when I picked my badges off the smoldering remnants of a boss.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

I thought the problem was just consolidating them? There were too many currencies so they just decided to make the best current gear VP and old gear JP.

Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    T14 and T15 raids still give Valor, what are you on about?
    doesn't have the same feel as picking up badges off a corpse

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivena View Post
    Although I didn't play during Wrath I really liked the concept of weekly raid quests; perhaps they could implement something similar.
    Problem with those quests was that the objective was rarely the last boss of the instance, so if you actually wanted to clear the whole place you were out of luck since half the raid would drop as soon as the quest boss was dead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    BoJs are exactly the same as VP/JP really. Which sorta did and sorta didn't work in the way you want it to - in Wrath and Cata you could do old raids to cap but now there's so many other ways to cap not a lot of people do it that way. I still see a fair few old raid runs in openraid though.

Very interested to see what they do in WoD since I don't think there will be any VP/JP anymore.
    Everything you do at max level should give some form of currency to buy something fun imo. Even doing old raids and such, now obviously it should only give a minimal amount so it can't be abused. But if you would be able to buy something fun every month with the points you earned from being active no matter what you did it would be a decent motivation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kezzik View Post
    It's true in some sense, picking up something feels more rewarding then having it just added up and see it in chat. Same thing but different feeling.

Deleted
    In the long run - horrible

10+ Year Old Account
    The issue with BoJ and currency in general is that people started viewing instance as chores to be done hence the cries about instances taking all of 30 minutes when some over geared whiny baby would complain that he could solo it in 10. In general, making group content like dungeons chores to be done for a generic reward isn't a good idea.

Heck, look at your example. Once Kara dropped badges it became much harder to get people to do a heroic because people didn't view the content as a way to have fun, they calculated the badges/hour return. The reason they did this is that most people who were ager BoJ didn't need the gear from either Kara or heroics, they wanted the T6-equivalent badge gear, i.e. the system encouraged people to run content not because they wanted to run the content, but because they wanted the currency.

10+ Year Old Account
    The biggest problem with them was having to run Karazhan for the entire expansion because it was the most efficient way to acquire badges. No person raiding Sunwell should feel obligated to go back three and a half tiers earlier because of some currency, but yet many of us did just that.

In some ways the badge system was nice, but overall I think it was poorly though-out.

(lots of people also hated that people could farm Karazhan and buy Sunwell quality gear too, but that didn't bother me)

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    The biggest problem with them was having to run Karazhan for the entire expansion because it was the most efficient way to acquire badges. No person raiding Sunwell should feel obligated to go back three and a half tiers earlier because of some currency, but yet many of us did just that.

In some ways the badge system was nice, but overall I think it was poorly though-out.

(lots of people also hated that people could farm Karazhan and buy Sunwell quality gear too, but that didn't bother me)

Running old content bad. Getting max level epix for easiest content good. Fuck me...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheekin View Post
    Running old content bad. Getting max level epix for easiest content good. Fuck me...
    Being obligated to run obsolete content for current raid progression is bad. If people want to go back for transmog or pets or nostalgia or on alts, great. But no one should feel pressured to spend a portion of their available raid time each week to keep farming a raid instance for years, long after every drop in the place is irrelevant. That's shitty design.

And I didn't say "getting max level epics for easiest content" was good design. It's not. I said I didn't care about it. I don't give a shit whether some random guy's alt has Sunwell quality pants because he farmed Karazhan for twenty weeks in a row; it doesn't hurt me any.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

should we go back to it? sure if we toss out justice/valor points. no point having multiple forms of currency that serve the same exact purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheekin View Post
    Getting max level epix for easiest content good. Fuck me...
    Not even max level epix... TBC item levels were a gigantic mess where you could find three different levels of gear inside one instance. Short version is that the very last and highest level BoJ items were:

- full tier below Sunwell gear
    - half tier below Illidan/Archimonde
    - less than half tier above the early T6 trashbosses
    - added into the game almost year after world first Illidan kill

The BoJ items back then were just like VP gear today meant to patch up for bad luck with drops. Only real difference was that you could buy almost every item slot including weapons with BoJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezzik View Post
    So this whole thread is about you not getting the same feeling ?

It was fine for then, but wouldn't work well because people would farm old content or if there are multiple badge tiers then it becomes a mess in Blizzard's eyes. I think the real issue is them dropping the ball on Siege with no Valor gear even though you can spend 500 vp to upgrade an item a measly 8 ilvls. (Yes it adds up, but it is a really boring way of "upgrading" gear.)
    Stay salty my friends.