Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'm not even sure what this means. It's pretty hard to break 8gb with gaming and normal use, unless you're doing other heavy RAM work.. which most people dont.

A lot of people go "You definitely need 16gb of ram, I use 12gb just playing one game" and leave out the fact they have 3 VM's, and two minecraft servers running in the background.
    Hard to break 8GB? Maybe in winxp era. Now we have browsers using one even two GB easy, even damn skype at 700MB.
    Also if your running low on ram u have alot more disk read. Maybe even pagefile to avoid programcrashes.

Well hf with slow pc and this error if u wanna roll 8GB ram.

16GB has been mainstream and recommended for any gaming system since 2years~ and its not w/o reason.

Quote Originally Posted by BergErr View Post
    Hard to break 8GB? Maybe in winxp era. Now we have browsers using one even two GB easy, even damn skype at 700MB.
    I'm having a hard time having Chrome break the 1gb mark. I don't know what you're doing with your browser(s) to have it between 1gb and 2gb. Secondly, skype with 700mb RAM usage? Not really. Idling with 80mb With "normal" usage I have ~4.5gb of 8gb RAM free CONSTANTLY. In no way do you need more than 8 gigs of ram for gaming and everyday use.

1/5 I fell for it.
    Last edited by Circled; 2014-04-27 at 09:00 PM.

Also if your running low on ram u have alot more disk read. Maybe even pagefile to avoid programcrashes.

16GB has been mainstream and recommended for any gaming system since 2years~ and its not w/o reason.
    What the actual fuck are you running if you get that error with 8GB RAM? I am running 3 Twitch Streams(2 muted, 1 unmuted) and playing BF4. It doesn't even reach 80% usage.

Also, how is your skype consuming 700MB? Mine is happily running at 100MB usage.

Every single build I see on here and on other websites recommend 8GB RAM for gaming since more is simply not needed. If you are going to be doing graphics related work(3D modeling/rendering), then 16GB is what you'd want.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    What the actual fuck are you running if you get that error with 8GB RAM? I am running 3 Twitch Streams(2 muted, 1 unmuted) and playing BF4. It doesn't even reach 80% usage.

Also, how is your skype consuming 700MB? Mine is happily running at 100MB usage.

Every single build I see on here and on other websites recommend 8GB RAM for gaming since more is simply not needed. If you are going to be doing graphics related work(3D modeling/rendering), then 16GB is what you'd want.
    He is probably using Behold Geneaology, which probably has a bad memory leak, and is causing him to eat up all his RAM.

Skype tends to break shit because it's horrible and should die. That being said, I only once had RAM issues (8GB) and it caused my D3 to have 5 min+ loading screens. Took me a while to realize what was happening since RAM is the last thing I checked. I ran out of it because:

Steam Client
    League of legends Client
    6 Battle.net clients (because bugs)
    Origin Client
    Desura Client
    LoL recorder
    uTorrent
    A bunch of Chrome tabs that were adding to quite a bit. (this is my chrome now; click)
    Diablo 3

That's stupid and people should never have that much shit up so 8GB is more than plenty.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe for people that share a PC or for extremely lazy people that don't bother to close whatever they open.
    WoD sandbox.
    WoD.
    League of Legends
    Hearthstone
    D3

Are currently up and I still have 20% RAM (and the Chrome that I linked). You might want to check your PC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Circled View Post
    I'm having a hard time having Chrome break the 1gb mark. I don't know what you're doing with your browser(s) to have it between 1gb and 2gb. Secondly, skype with 700mb RAM usage? Not really. Idling with 80mb With "normal" usage I have ~4.5gb of 8gb RAM free CONSTANTLY. In no way do you need more than 8 gigs of ram for gaming and everyday use.

1/5 I fell for it.
    his reason regarding chrome is actually not far from the truth. (please note below is 8 browsers open for everyday stuff) chrome is really annoying on that part

I would recommend at least 8gb personally 16gb if you don't mind spending the extra money

I can easily break the 8gb mark playing eve seriously.

When im just jumping around with stuff i am on 5-6gb

But when i have several client open i am on 9+gb

Also if he has any interest in streaming or encoding in future 8gb don't cut it at all
    Last edited by Saphyron; 2014-04-27 at 09:13 PM.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Quote Originally Posted by chaosjones View Post
    his reason regarding chrome is actually not far from the truth. (please note below is 8 browsers open for everyday stuff) chrome is really annoying on that part

I would recommend at least 8gb personally 16gb if you don't mind spending the extra money

I can easily break the 8gb mark playing eve seriously.

When im just jumping around with stuff i am on 5-6gb

But when i have several client open i am on 9+gb

Also if he has any interest in streaming or encoding in future 8gb don't cut it at all

With multiple tabs open, it's still under 700mb for me. Weird.

1. Does running the OS from the SSD and games from the HD create lag/game performance issues?

2. Appreciate the discussion on the RAM - but it is not a huge component of the price. Any opinions on monitor? Is going to a monitor capable of more than 1920-1080 worth it?

3. The computer I have now is doing relatively ok, but when WOD hits - I want the new rig. Is anyone aware of a reason it might make sense to wait a few months? IE: New CPUs, New GPU's etc?
    Last edited by lve2raft; 2014-04-27 at 09:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lve2raft View Post
    Does running the OS from the SSD and games from the HD create lag/game performance issues?

- - - Updated - - -

Appreciate the discussion on the RAM - but it is not a huge component of the price. Any opinions on monitor? Is going to a monitor capable of more than 1920-1080 worth it?

Sorry ill respond with my personal oppinion at least.

The build you listed to start with i would not say is overkill. some parts is unnessesary, depending on what you do.

But.

Running on higher resolution will bring your fps lower. But the 770 should easily handle many games on a steady 60 fps even on a 1440p screen. but if you wanna save money go for the standard 1920 x 1080p setup with a nice 23-25 inch (personally for me better on the eyes)
    If you wanna waste money then go for a 1920 x 1080p 120 htz. its really nice on those games you can get up to that and keeping steady.

in regards to the ssd.
    The game will load faster and have small fps increase if on the ssd over the hdd. But its a small increase in most games.

I personally have wow + standard pc software on my 120gb ssd and the rest of my games spread out on 2 1tb hdd. I personally can see a difference in wow but many other games the difference is very small. in eve there is none. (it has steady 60fps regardless what i do)(except running 13 clients at same time mining in a random astroid belt.)

If you are 100% certain you won't go into streaming/encoding etc or any other heavy ram usage software then i would recommend going 8 or 12gb of ram 16gb only if you are a maniac like me in games.

A 770 is min in my oppinion would recommend a 780 if you are not planning to upgrade in the next 3 years.

a 550watt psu should be enough.

min 250gb SSD unless you have nothing on your pc.

and whatever extra space you need on a cheap HDD.

EDIT: this is my build for comparrison sake.
    But I use mine for encoding and streaming. sometimes hosting random servers for lan party's etc etc.

I7-3770K 4,2~ghz
    Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
    16gb 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance
    EVGA Geforce 770 SC ACX 2gb
    OCZ Agility 4 120gb SSD
    2 x 1tb Hitachi Deskstar 7200 RPM
    2 x HP L2151ws 1920 x 1080p 60htz
    Last edited by Saphyron; 2014-04-27 at 09:39 PM.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

That error on 8GB? Windows, drivers, ventrilo, irc, firefox, any game.

Wish I knew why skype used 700MB, restarted it and its now at 300MB(idle, not even a call going on).

Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post
    I ran out of it because:

Steam Client
    League of legends Client
    6 Battle.net clients (because bugs)
    Origin Client
    Desura Client
    LoL recorder
    uTorrent
    A bunch of Chrome tabs that were adding to quite a bit. (this is my chrome now; click)
    Diablo 3

That's stupid and people should never have that much shit up so 8GB is more than plenty.

Are currently up and I still have 20% RAM (and the Chrome that I linked). You might want to check your PC.

What you listed is less then any gamer I know have running at any point (ofc not 6 bnet, but add stuff like ventrilo, teamspeak, skype, mumble, raidcall, voicechatter)

Quote Originally Posted by chaosjones View Post
    Sorry ill respond with my personal oppinion at least.

The build you listed to start with i would not say is overkill. some parts is unnessesary, depending on what you do.

But.

Running on higher resolution will bring your fps lower. But the 770 should easily handle many games on a steady 60 fps even on a 1440p screen. but if you wanna save money go for the standard 1920 x 1080p setup with a nice 23-25 inch (personally for me better on the eyes)
    If you wanna waste money then go for a 1920 x 1080p 120 htz. its really nice on those games you can get up to that and keeping steady.

in regards to the ssd.
    The game will load faster and have small fps increase if on the ssd over the hdd. But its a small increase in most games.

I personally have wow + standard pc software on my 120gb ssd and the rest of my games spread out on 2 1tb hdd. I personally can see a difference in wow but many other games the difference is very small. in eve there is none. (it has steady 60fps regardless what i do)(except running 13 clients at same time mining in a random astroid belt.)

If you are 100% certain you won't go into streaming/encoding etc or any other heavy ram usage software then i would recommend going 8 or 12gb of ram 16gb only if you are a maniac like me in games.

A 770 is min in my oppinion would recommend a 780 if you are not planning to upgrade in the next 3 years.

a 550watt psu should be enough.

min 250gb SSD unless you have nothing on your pc.

and whatever extra space you need on a cheap HDD.

EDIT: this is my build for comparrison sake.
    But I use mine for encoding and streaming. sometimes hosting random servers for lan party's etc etc.

I7-3770K 4,2~ghz
    Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
    16gb 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance
    EVGA Geforce 770 SC ACX 2gb
    OCZ Agility 4 120gb SSD
    2 x 1tb Hitachi Deskstar 7200 RPM
    2 x HP L2151ws 1920 x 1080p 60htz

Thanks this helped!

10+ Year Old Account
    All hail my 200+ tabs.

Either way, it depends on what you run/do really.

Deleted

No, that's probably down to malware. Run a in-depth deep-scan, using a combination of MBAM, Spybot, and Kaspersky. In addition, create a Hijackthis! log and post it on the forums they have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    All hail my 200+ tabs.

HOW? I am having trouble seeing the names of the tabs when there is more than 20 its a pain in the arse finding which tab i wanna see.
    How are you finding your way with 200+ tabs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    All hail my 200+ tabs.

I normally have just 1 or 2 tabs open. am i doing it wrong?

------

Re. RAM discussion: 12GB or gtfo