View Poll Results: Will you buy WoD if there is no flying throughout the entire expansion?

Voters
451. This poll is closed
  • I am currently playing and will play WoD if no flying

268 59.42%
  • I am not currently playing and will come back to play WoD if no flying

118 26.16%
  • I am currently playing and will not play WoD if no flying

31 6.87%
  • I am not currently playing and will not play WoD if no flying

34 7.54%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    cant wait for the first patch! just hope it stays no flying!

honest to god i hope there is no flying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Reported for spam.
    And voted.

Welp, blizzard will confirm their idea that no flight makes the game better by 6.1 and we will continue on the ground for the rest of the xpac, should make for one of the most fun xpacs in a long time

Deleted
    Lol. Not really a lot of people that voted. But overall it looks like a win for Blizzard. :P

People really need to get over not being able to fly. Seriously, you'll be okay.
    Check out my expansion concept, World of Warcraft: Whispers of Madness
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Brittle Bones now has a 50% chance to turn the target into a purple-wearing supervillain.

Yes I will. I don't mind the no flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzlewits View Post
    no.

when i am max level i wanna be able to fly.

when questing/leveling i have no problem doing it from the ground.
    even doing some quest chain to unlock flying, im ok with it.
    i just wanna be able to fly at max lvl.

no flying? pff not gonna buy it.
    Why though? You can easily get to where you need to go by hopping on a flight path or taking other methods to get from point A to point B. Often times flight paths take just as long as flying somewhere manually. Really, the only use for flying is for faster gathering. That's it.

Flying ruined a lot of fun shit in the game, like random world pvp. So yeah, no flying sounds pretty damn nice.

Deleted
    I dislike not being able to fly, but I'll still buy and play it. Raiding is 95% of wow for me, not going to let such a small thing take it away from me.

I think these poll results are pretty telling

Quote Originally Posted by KClovesGaming View Post
    Why though? You can easily get to where you need to go by hopping on a flight path or taking other methods to get from point A to point B. Often times flight paths take just as long as flying somewhere manually. Really, the only use for flying is for faster gathering. That's it.
    No, it's not. And I'll always prefer flying manually over the mindnumbingly boring travel that comes with a taxi. You can't even leave that taxi for a detour if you spot something interesting.

People thinking that flying is only used for this or that reason, REALLY need to figure out that there are millions of individuals playing this game. YOUR view on what a feature is used for is hardly shared by every single one.

No-flight solves more than it ruins. Not understanding how this makes the devs lazy, because they still have to render the entire world as if flying were enabled. If you don't like a story driven game (whether you enjoy the story or not is irrelevant) wanting you to see the story a certain way, why are you playing it? Those characters that you like so much aren't your property, you aren't being forced into playing the game they want you to, you gave them permission by agreeing to the ToS/ToU. If you don't like it, either deal or stop playing.

Right now I'm on the fence for WoD. The fact that it isnt coming out until fall is already enough for me. Flying is the least of my concern with WoD to be honest. If I can't fly oh well, All I'll want is my flying mounts to be usable on the ground. If no flying is honestly a reason people won't buy WoD they have serious issues. Just adapt to it. There's far many other reasons not to buy WoD however.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokas View Post
    or never, even better.
    I agree 100%. I'd rather have faster ground mounts.

I have already pre-ordered WoD, and I am okay with no flying. I'd probably be fine without it through the whole expansion. However, it depends on a lot of things, such as how the zones are designed, flight paths, where quest hubs and raids are in relation to capital cities etc. It sounds like Blizzard are designing Draenor with these things in mind, so I have faith that players won't actually miss flying as much as they think.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    They're not removing the efficiency of travel, they want to alter how people can approach content. Rather than making content more interesting and challenging, they remove a feature.
    Right on the first bit, wrong on the second. Content was already interesting and challenging, flying simply enabled a player to overcome those things. There was a great example in the blue post; if you're trying to get into a fort and kill an NPC without flying, you choose the safest path, carefully take out any mobs that might cause trouble, be careful not to pull anything you don't want, maybe stealth here and there and make your way in. That's a lot more interesting and challenging than just landing at your destination, killing the mob and flying away. You actually have to think about how you approach it.

To me that's definitely a welcome change, and it's something I enjoyed about the Isle of Thunder. The place felt dangerous because you couldn't just fly away from things, or drop down only where you needed to. I will say though that I missed flying on the Timeless Isle. Some of the mobs on that island are a pain in the ass and not fun to deal with.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really see the point of these kinds of threads. If you're not playing WoW now and have no intention of returning, or are dead set on quitting just because of a change like that, why are you even on these boards? This is a WoW fan site. Its meant for people who actually enjoy the game. I can sort of understand if you are looking at the other few sections of the forums that talk about other games, but this is the WoW section. Why read it if you are not playing the game or intend to quit. Just quit and be done with it.

Am I upset about the possibility of not being able to fly? That's a question I can answer. Yes, I hate the fact that I spent so much gold on various flying skills and mounts and they might be useless for the majority of an expansion. Crafting and professions were always one of my favorite parts of the game, while doing the farming for said skills was one of the worst. I trained my first 2 epic flying chars because they were my farmers. I hate trying to farm for mats on the ground and that's what they're considering forcing upon me again. I'm already upset about how weak and useless real crafting has become. But that's not likely to make me unsubscribe. If it was, I wouldn't be reading this to post as I would have moved on with my life instead of hanging around a WoW-centric forum complaining about it.

Do I believe that they will actually go through with an entire expansion without enabling flying? Likely not. Though it would improve things in respect to world PVP, the very idea that they somehow intend to force us to quest at max level after having the entire game revolve around raiding and dailies for 3 expansions is ludicrous. I would love to go back to the days where they actually did things like add real 5 man content each patch,there were reasons to actually leave town at max level, CC was important in groups of all sizes and gear was not the measure of everything...but it simply is not likely to happen. The populace love to see their numbers get bigger and don't enjoy the drawn out dungeons and such that were prevalent in the past.

My prediction: we'll get our flying at some point and people will complain about it until it happens, then new people will complain then.
    TAZI-BEAR ... da Beast

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Seeing as you could not fly until you reached level 70 by which time the need for questing was over how exactly did flying ruin questing? Also TBC had many areas that could only be reached through flying so how was exploration ruined?
    Quests are always there, even at max level. So are daily quests. Flying to and from waypoints, passing all forms of context (yes, conteXt) between, gets boring. A major reason questing right now is so boring.

And exploration? It's the exact same thing. Flying from POI to POI takes away from the context of the world. It takes away from the feeling of discovering something new when you can see everything in a couple hours while completely safe.

And when the game is pretty competitive and when you CAN get rewards quick, there's not really a choice to "just use a ground mount".

All the pro-fliers understand how flying negatively impacts the game, most are just throwing tantrums and/or trolling. It would be great if they chose options 3 and 4.

Quote Originally Posted by LookingGlass View Post
    That is the biggest take-away from Bashiok's post. There's some fundamental problem when a player is so upset by trash mobs or being attacked by a passing mob.

Blizzard sees this attitude is a problem. And now they're willing to risk subscriptions to fix it for the sake of the game.

I'm also of the view that these efficiency crazed pro-fliers are also some of WoW's most addicted, escapist players. They play the game as a reward machine not as an enjoyable social RPG experience.

Like any addict, it will be hard to satisfy them quickly. It can't be done with some forum post. It will takes months for these players to acclimate to slower, harder to earn psychological rewards.

Not all pro-fliers are this way of course, but many are. Some really do just like flying around and doing loop-de-loops. The old world will still be perfect for them however.
    It definitely will take time and not be an easy process, I think the devs will need the player base more than ever to make more compelling content. For the addicts, i hate to call it a detox, but you gotta cold turkey this habbit. And i miss my fun flights too, i still remember when someone posted the pitch limit command so players could fly upside down with just their mouse, good times. But like some people point out, thats just looking at it through rose tinted glasses or whatever the stupid saying is, it's a problem now, if there was a way to fix it without removing it, we would have it by now.
    Your powers are useless on me you silly billy...

Has been said before, poll results speak for themselves. All the complaining is just Tempest in a teapot (American English), or storm in a teacup (British English), whatever you prefer. Dunno why it matters if you are currently playing or not though...

In any case, even the moaners will buy WoD anyway. If you don't, that means you have two options:
    Keep playing and be stuck in old content, or quit playing altogether.

Your loss either way.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@