Thread: Mega Server

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gotta say Arlee, that's kinda on your guild leaders for starting missions at the same time that Claw of Jormag spawns.

We've synched up our missions around those spawns and have had no trouble getting everyone together.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Gotta say Arlee, that's kinda on your guild leaders for starting missions at the same time that Claw of Jormag spawns.

We've synched up our missions around those spawns and have had no trouble getting everyone together.
    We've been doing them at the same time for ages and that's the time which works for our guild because we have people with a lot of different schedules. Literally moving it one hour either direction makes it so a lot of people can't make. It's especially annoying because if the guild you are rep'ing was higher on priority, or we were able to have real larger than five people groups, or hell even if squads actually counted for zoning it wouldn't have been an issue in the first place. Lastly... you don't know which missions you are going to get before activating. Scheduling so there is NO BOSS event at all going on is a pretty ridiculous expectation.

But yay for your guild having a lot move playtime options for missions.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree there should be more options, but right now it is what it is.

But saying your schedule is so tight that you don't have a 10-15 minute flexibility seems unduly restrictive. At some point you're going to have to question your guild leader's motives: Why would he choose to play the "Let's frustrate our members and play the bitch about ArenaNet" game rather than the "Let's get shit done" game?

On one hand you have the frustrated/bitching guild and on the other hand you have the guild rolling in merits, influence, commendations and sexy loot for its members. I give you 2 guesses as to which guild will have its members returning each week and which one has their members slinking off to join guilds that know how to get 'er done.
    Last edited by Karizee; 2014-05-06 at 07:34 PM.
    Valar morghulis

Has anyone tried using the Commander squad system to get everyone into the same server? We've been using party system and that tends to get 90% in on the first try. Wondering if the Megaservers check for squad lists.

the system hasn't left it's early stages yet, it's obvious. The things it should do... it doesn't work properly yet, it seems. Nevertheless, playing in zones has become a better experience. You meet people almost anywhere. I did 2,5 zone completions yesterday with my Mesmer and was happy to see other players at those harder to get vistas every time. Threw out a few portals for them. I've also joined a guild puzzle, rarely have I seen guild missions happen.The world feels more alive than ever.

The downside though: it's almost too many people at the larger meta events... it's not fun, nor challenging to down a world boss in a minute or two.

10+ Year Old Account
    ^ Now that I think about it... I haven't been running into Maarius in every second map since the update

All in all, it's a good thing, it's the technology needed to revitalise mid-level regions while adding new zones shouldn't be a problem now.
    Give it a few more tweaks and it's fine.
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by deragot7 View Post
    I wanted to hear people what they think about it.I play it already from two weeks and i quite like it.There are some good and bad things about it.
    As far as im concerned overall Megaservers has been a disaster and if Anet dont make moves to address the new problems then the games community will suffer massively over the coming months.

The cons i can see are :-

1. RPing is going to die out - since megaservers RPers are getting trolled and abused off of maps. I play on Piken which is an RP server and RPers are a large part of our community, we like them and live alongside them without issues. RPers come to Piken to RP within a mainly RP-tolerant community. Now every map is flooded with every realm and sadly they see RPers as weird and worthy of abuse.

2. World Bosses - there is a COLLOSAL problem in getting your entire team onto the same map in order to do a world boss, specifically Teq and Wurm. We have a PvE guild setup on Piken specifically to fight these bosses and we cannot in get our players onto the same map. Our guild can have up to 80 players online and we have had them spread across EIGHT maps trying to taxi them all to the same place. We turn up an hour before Tequatl and we still cannot get everyone onto the same map. Our current lol is saying "again we have to fight megaserver boss before the world boss!".

3. New Players - what realm are new players on?... it doesnt matter. A new player now doesnt care at all about his realm mainly because he will rarely meet anyone from his own realm while levelling. That means he wont become part of his realms community and probably wont even care about joining a guild or WvW. Current players know their realm and how it all works, new players wont ever become part of that.

4. Realm Community - probably the most important part of GW2 that will die over time is realm communitys. The most important part of an MMO is community and megaservers will kill it quickly. Megaservers has put everyone onto the same map which negates any relevance for realms outside of WvW. The community figures on each realm are all shouting very loudly that megaservers has destroyed the community they have built up, because over time your realms community becomes less and less relevant.

5. Mapchat Abuse - the GW2 forums banned WvW discussion threads due to the amount of abuse targetted at enemy realms... this has now become possible again since megaservers. Who thought it a good idea to put all the wvw players onto a map where they can communicate together? idiots... Ive seen alot of mapchat abuse in cities and also out in the levelling zones since the introduction of megaservers.

6. Gold Sellers - a more recent issue to me has been the massive increase in gold-seller /w spam. I reckon i got 1 gold-seller in a year of play prior to megaservers and now i get 3 /w per hour yesterday.

7. Guild Missions - A new problem of competing with alot more guilds to start your guild missions. Bounty Hunt particularly tricky with an increase of guilds taking out the target.

8. WvW Call to Arms - Cannot return to your realms cities and call for help in mapchat. My realm this was particularly common as we are lower population.

Im sure there are more issues i havent mentioned....

Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    As far as im concerned overall Megaservers has been a disaster and if Anet dont make moves to address the new problems then the games community will suffer massively over the coming months.

The cons i can see are :-

1. RPing is going to die out - since megaservers RPers are getting trolled and abused off of maps. I play on Piken which is an RP server and RPers are a large part of our community, we like them and live alongside them without issues. RPers come to Piken to RP within a mainly RP-tolerant community. Now every map is flooded with every realm and sadly they see RPers as weird and worthy of abuse.

2. World Bosses - there is a COLLOSAL problem in getting your entire team onto the same map in order to do a world boss, specifically Teq and Wurm. We have a PvE guild setup on Piken specifically to fight these bosses and we cannot in get our players onto the same map. Our guild can have up to 80 players online and we have had them spread across EIGHT maps trying to taxi them all to the same place. We turn up an hour before Tequatl and we still cannot get everyone onto the same map. Our current lol is saying "again we have to fight megaserver boss before the world boss!".

3. New Players - what realm are new players on?... it doesnt matter. A new player now doesnt care at all about his realm mainly because he will rarely meet anyone from his own realm while levelling. That means he wont become part of his realms community and probably wont even care about joining a guild or WvW. Current players know their realm and how it all works, new players wont ever become part of that.

4. Realm Community - probably the most important part of GW2 that will die over time is realm communitys. The most important part of an MMO is community and megaservers will kill it quickly. Megaservers has put everyone onto the same map which negates any relevance for realms outside of WvW. The community figures on each realm are all shouting very loudly that megaservers has destroyed the community they have built up, because over time your realms community becomes less and less relevant.

5. Mapchat Abuse - the GW2 forums banned WvW discussion threads due to the amount of abuse targetted at enemy realms... this has now become possible again since megaservers. Who thought it a good idea to put all the wvw players onto a map where they can communicate together? idiots... Ive seen alot of mapchat abuse in cities and also out in the levelling zones since the introduction of megaservers.

6. Gold Sellers - a more recent issue to me has been the massive increase in gold-seller /w spam. I reckon i got 1 gold-seller in a year of play prior to megaservers and now i get 3 /w per hour yesterday.

7. Guild Missions - A new problem of competing with alot more guilds to start your guild missions. Bounty Hunt particularly tricky with an increase of guilds taking out the target.

8. WvW Call to Arms - Cannot return to your realms cities and call for help in mapchat. My realm this was particularly common as we are lower population.

Im sure there are more issues i havent mentioned....
    You mean there are downsides to the megaservers? I thought it was all sunshine and rainbows with what people have been saying. And surely Anet couldn't screw something up that is on such a massive scale like this. I mean, it's not like they've completely screwed up smaller updates and features than this before. They acted like megaservers would fix all the problems GW2 was having. Surely it didn't create more!?

All joking aside, the only good thing I've seen about megaservers so far is that it has brought new life to zones that were devoid of players before.....and that's about it. Everything else has seemed to be a negative impact in one way or another. Not surprised in the slightest.

Well, those "downsides" are highly subjective and often irrelevant to the game mechanics. For example, "RP-ing is going to die out" is not a value equally shared by players. Nor is "RP-ing" a core function of the gameplay in Guild Wars 2.

The state of "RP-ing" post mega-server couldn't possibly be a downside except in a limited, personal view. One can just as well claim an extra icon on the character screen bothers them so much it is a "downside" of the game experience. Which would be equally nonsensical and irrelevant.

I haven't noticed an increase in Gold Sellers due to megaservers, though the sales seem to bring some extra's whenever they have them.

The WvWvW issues could all be lumped togethor. Some of it could be solved via a "realm chat" channel, but I think there's just some fundamental problems with WvWvW and balancing servers and stuff.

My friend just got into RPing, says it's been great, so anecdotes are anecdotes.

The prioritizing system for assigning folks doesn't seem too picky and I still wish they'd lower the cap for zones so big events are maybe 30-50 players instead of 100+.

Gold Sellers increase when the game goes on sale. If you only had one gold seller whisper you in a year then you're incredibly lucky.

I think they will adjust and tone down megaservers. I don't know if they can turn on/off megaservers for map according to a schedule, but that's one way of dealing with the big boss fights. An increase in the big threes appearances would also help with this.

Currently, my server schedules its own Tequatl separate from the timers and most everyone who wants in gets in until we hit hard cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post

The prioritizing system for assigning folks doesn't seem too picky and I still wish they'd lower the cap for zones so big events are maybe 30-50 players instead of 100+.
    Big numbers are a lot of fun in a map when they are spread out. You constantly meet 1 or 2 other people when doing events, it just feels right. The only problem there is: when those big numbers all meet at one meta-event.

My solution wouldn't be to lower the map-limits but to increase the number of options guys have. If there were 2 or 3 big Meta-events at the same map at different locations and at the same time, people would have to spread.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Well, those "downsides" are highly subjective and often irrelevant to the game mechanics. For example, "RP-ing is going to die out" is not a value equally shared by players. Nor is "RP-ing" a core function of the gameplay in Guild Wars 2.

The state of "RP-ing" post mega-server couldn't possibly be a downside except in a limited, personal view. One can just as well claim an extra icon on the character screen bothers them so much it is a "downside" of the game experience. Which would be equally nonsensical and irrelevant.
    This post has me shaking my head because it sounds so fucking heartless.

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    She is always very matter-o-fact and analytical when talking about games. She literally turns into a robot and squashes anything that is remotely considered an opinion. If it doesn't fit the very specific, narrow, and technical definition of what she KNOWS it is, then your whole statements are then invalid. It's a whole new level of sad. And here I thought they had therapies for OCD.

I enjoy video games. Though I am not interested in video games as a primary means of entertainment. Mostly I just think video game can be intellectually interesting in how they operate more so than "fun to play". A kind of academic interest I have based on educational background (marketing, programming, art, mathematics),

In any case, one can't claim their own value judgements as the only one that applies to a game. What if I value RPing differently than Bob?

It may be the case that Arena.net are going to weight various aspects of their games differently than Bob or I. It may be even that Arena.net developmentally don't consider the aspects Bob and I think are important to us.

Video games are composed of art and science. The operation of a video game is an objective and precise process. It can not be a matter of opinion how a video game operates in mechanics and design. To create a game both aspects must be factual. One literally can not make a game otherwise. You would have no code to write or compile.

What can be a matter of opinion is one's view of operation in design and mechanics. As in a player may simply not enjoy how a game does X, Y or Z. While it can be that the game's operation of X, Y or Z are not actually faulty.

It is that difference where most of the error, low thought and cultural blockage occurs in the video game medium. Mainly due to the form being used majorly as entertainment and the newness of the medium.

Whereas we rarely see discussion around music or film using the same language fallacies as video games. There is stronger separation in those mediums in audience understanding between objective measure (these notes are being played in this sequence, this tone, this tempo, etc) and personal value (I don't like the arrangement, tonality and tempo of this music), for example.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-05-08 at 12:49 PM.

I enjoy video games. Though I am not interested in video games as a primary means of entertainment. Mostly I just think video game can be intellectually interesting in how they operate more so than "fun to play". A kind of academic interest I have based on educational background (marketing, programming, art, mathematics),

In any case, one can't claim their own value judgements as the only one that applies to a game. What if I value RPing differently than Bob?

It may be the case that Arena.net are going to weight various aspects of their games differently than Bob or I. It may be even that Arena.net developmentally don't consider the aspects Bob and I think are important to us.

Video games are composed of art and science. The operation of a video game is an objective and precise process. It can not be a matter of opinion how a video game operates in mechanics and design. To create a game both aspects must be factual. One literally can not make a game otherwise. You would have no code to write or compile.

What can be a matter of opinion is one's view of operation in design and mechanics. As in a player may simply not enjoy how a game does X, Y or Z. While it can be that the game's operation of X, Y or Z are not actually faulty.

It is that difference where most of the error, low thought and cultural blockage occurs in the video game medium. Mainly due to the form being used majorly as entertainment and the newness of the medium.

Whereas we rarely see discussion around music or film using the same language fallacies as video games. There is stronger separation in those mediums in audience understanding between objective measure (these notes are being played in this sequence, this tone, this tempo, etc) and personal value (I don't like the arrangement, tonality and tempo of this music), for example.
    See what I mean? Heaven forbid your opinion doesn't match Fencers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    See what I mean? Heaven forbid your opinion doesn't match Fencers.
    You understand posts #29 and #35 address that one should consider other points of view not just their own, right?

One person's "downsides" of the megaserver system might not matter much to someone else. They might not even matter to Anet too.

I mean, it's pretty obvious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Megaservers are great imo, makes the world feel more alive indeed.

My only problem with this is that some guildmates get phased out for guild events. We had to reform groups for people taht get phased out to join the instance with the most guildies. So far it's the only issue at least...

He made it quite clear that his list is subjective, see "As far as I'm concerned..." "As far as I can see..."
    If anyone is stating their opinion in a way that comes across as fact it's certainly not him.

That's all I have to say on the matter, it's clear anything further is going to be an exercise in futility.
    Last edited by 1001; 2014-05-09 at 04:12 AM.

You understand posts #29 and #35 address that one should consider other points of view not just their own, right?

One person's "downsides" of the megaserver system might not matter much to someone else. They might not even matter to Anet too.

And just as one person's positives can be another person's negatives, so too can the "downsides" of the megaservers not match up with another person's viewpoint. It's all opinions......even your tirades that you go on. What matters is that there ARE negatives perceived by the community with these new megaservers and if Anet has any common sense to them at all, they'll listen to them and see if they can resolve some of the issues.