Thread: Mega Server

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    And yet on the flipside if Fencers or Karizee stated anything u would take it that they represented more than just their own opinion right... *sigh*
    I've argued with Fencers about the word "endgame" for several pages before, so don't jump to conclusions. We all know Karizee is overly forgiving of the game, rarely criticising it (though it has happened), but the update posts are quite useful, so that's alright.

If you ask Fencers, she'll TELL you that her opinions is just hers and does not represent anything more. But of course, she'll also debate whether something IS an opinion...

I was, and am, making a very valid and clear point and i speak for literally hundreds of players ive discussed megaservers with from my realm... They are not at all popular on my realm. Ur welcome to make the assumption that i am just 1 guy with his own irrelevant opinion. But, u make that assumption at your peril.
    Truthfully, I'm in no danger from assuming anything. You're still assuming that most of us don't agree with you in some fashion. Setting out a clear concise rendering of the problems, proposing solutions and discussing those things is all well and fine, we can't change anything. Make sure you make your opinion known on the official forums.

But, the issue is that you made claims about everyone on THIS forum based on a couple of posters.

U can come back to my predictions on how megaservers will effect various parts of the GW2 community in 6months as see just how accurate they were...
    Hopefully they are still tweaking the matching system and we'll see better matching based on servers/ guilds/ whathaveyou. It would be interesting if Lions Arch returns to central focus, and then was detached from the megaserver system so that you only got your own server there.

But the important part is focusing on the server community issues as a whole. For instance, coordinating Wv when your server is mixed is probably more directly related to the integral gameplay than RPing is, but both are related.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    We all know Karizee is overly forgiving of the game, rarely criticising it (though it has happened), but the update posts are quite useful, so that's alright.
    I think I get a bad rap for this xD

It's true that I grok the game on a really basic, core level but I don't think I'm overly forgiving. I do think there are many areas that could use improvement (such as the recent rune rework), but I voice my opinions on the appropriate channels so the devs can look at it. And I don't think that something like runes being unbalanced right now is a reason to burn down ANet headquarters or feed their devs to the harpies or even be used as a reason not to get or play the game, because at it's core it's a really good game, they do so many things right.
    Valar morghulis

Gentlemen. Ladies.

We must stick to the topic of mega servers in Guild Wars 2. Not the perceived digital personality of any user of this forum. All opinions and arguments about the game are welcomed. Just do so thoughtfully and with civility toward each other.

Please, stay on the topic of mega servers and it's related consequences.

-- Fencers

from my experience, the mega server has worked out great. Now granted I haven't played a lot lately but when I have I've gone into the typical barren mid level zones. For those areas, the mega server is a god send.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    from my experience, the mega server has worked out great. Now granted I haven't played a lot lately but when I have I've gone into the typical barren mid level zones. For those areas, the mega server is a god send.
    While I'm sure it varied by server, before Mega's there was some effort to do the temples once after reset on my server. Other than that, they just stayed contested. Grenth and Balth were almost always contested. Now at least I can show up and have a chance at something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    While I'm sure it varied by server, before Mega's there was some effort to do the temples once after reset on my server. Other than that, they just stayed contested. Grenth and Balth were almost always contested. Now at least I can show up and have a chance at something.
    Now all u have to do it turn up and u get the loot... u dont need any effort to do the temples or any of the world bosses except Wurm.

PvE world bosses is now much like LFR in Wow, all u need to do it turn up and u get loot... no challenge or effort required after megaservers.

Now all u have to do it turn up and u get the loot... u dont need any effort to do the temples or any of the world bosses except Wurm.

PvE world bosses is now much like LFR in Wow, all u need to do it turn up and u get loot... no challenge or effort required after megaservers.
    This is a problem. I have stopped doing world events for the most part. There are way too many people. Event chains that were epic and really fun like the Modniir one are now zerg fests. I haven't done a lot of events in ages because they don't hit my time online.

That is an issue of poor game design. Not the mega servers themselves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    That is an issue of poor game design. Not the mega servers themselves.
    World Bosses were designed for a certain number of people, not a map capped to maximum number of players... u think thats bad game design?

i call that design for the correct number of people... now World bosses r trivialised so much u dont even need to learn the fights mechanics... just turn up and get loot.

This is one of the many glaring problems with megaservers... a nice idea which was implemented into the game badly.

World Bosses were designed for a certain number of people, not a map capped to maximum number of players... u think thats bad game design?
    It's bad design that they aren't scaling up appropriately to handle the numbers of people doing them. All world bosses have scaling to them. That's actually how they are designed. Clearly the upper limit is too low.

i call that design for the correct number of people... now World bosses r trivialised so much u dont even need to learn the fights mechanics... just turn up and get loot.

This is one of the many glaring problems with megaservers... a nice idea which was implemented into the game badly.
    This was always the case...
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

Deleted

And when they bug it is even worse....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cipero View Post
    Alright well then those numbers may have some merit after all. Thanks for the clarification. At first I was thinking that literally it was just any guild who signed up on the site.
    Indeed, it is accurate. It pulls the information directly from the maps.
    Note there are now 16,522 active WvW guilds.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Indeed, it is accurate. It pulls the information directly from the maps.
    Note there are now 16,522 active WvW guilds.
    This is not necessarily a thing in favor of the mega server. I found myself playing a bit more WvW because of the mega server system. Running around with a huge zerg doing bosses is not exactly my idea of fun. There are some bosses that offer extra satchels and unless you are grouped, you are extremely unlikely to get them because your damage component is so insignificant.

I am fine with the mega server concept in general but they need to tweak some of the aspects to make it more enjoyable.

1) The window needs to slide. People typically log on at the same time every day and to dish up the same 4 or 5 bosses is ludicrous. The window should slip an hour or two every day.
    2) The number caps have no relation to the bosses. 100+ people on Shadow Beh just trivializes the fight and makes it boring. The same thing for the Modniir chain. I would go so far as to say that it might be better if they put "portals" in front of the world bosses. Pre-event triggers a portal where you go and actually fight the boss in an instance with a limited number of people.
    3) Cities shouldn't be "grouped" to try and maintain some sort of world identity.

Doing map completion in Orr and hitting a buggy skill challenge which forced me to zone in and out to find a map where it wasn't bugged made me want a map-switching option akin to the old district switching tools of GW 1. Just open an option and reload to a new instance of the map if the current one doesn't appeal, presuming multiple copies are extant. Also, being able to see flat-out which you are in to make getting back to it if you lose conn mid-fight on a world boss easier.

Beyond that, I'd propose having multiple bosses up at a given time slot would help thin the zerg out a little and give people more flexibility on when to do them.

And I can definitely agree with the idea of keeping cities, or at least one city like LA, server-only.

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    Beyond that, I'd propose having multiple bosses up at a given time slot would help thin the zerg out a little and give people more flexibility on when to do them.
    I think multiple up at the same time would help a bit or even changing the mechanics so that the fights require a bit more organization. CP is a good example. You can do each boss one at a time or you can take them all down at the same time with small organized groups. If maps had to split the people up then it would make them more fun. Think shadow beh with portals in each corner of the swamp and champs and portals in those corners that have to be killed. Add the new mechanics when enough people are in the proximity of the boss. Anything would be better than the bore fest that is the mega boss zerg map to map train that we have at the moment.