Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Or you're the ret paladin without threat reduction and the black sheep even among this bunch.
    TIL ret paladins don't have salv

Deleted
    Or you're the ret paladin without threat reduction and the black sheep even among this bunch.
    So you're telling me that there are some specs that do not have proper threat reduction? So people are saying that threat reduction as a mechanic is fun but only if you're able to do it because you have to be a certain class or spec?

Looks like warriors are shit out of luck if they want to join in on this fun mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox2042 View Post
    Maybe you need smarter dps.
    That is a tanking issue. sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    So you're telling me that there are some specs that do not have proper threat reduction? So people are saying that threat reduction as a mechanic is fun but only if you're able to do it because you have to be a certain class or spec?

Looks like warriors are shit out of luck if they want to join in on this fun mechanic.
    Warriors had innate threat reduction built into battle/zerg stance.

TIL ret paladins don't have salv
    Everyone had salv.

The concept may have been worth something. But several dps specs had no threat reducing tools which meant they were significantly behind those classes that did. Also it was an incredible barrier to replacing your tank if he was absent for some reason as that limited your entire raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember getting into fights with Paladins in raid. I would ask for Sanc, they would refuse to give it to me "Shadow priests don't get Sanc". Like yeah, maybe the shit shadow priests YOU'VE run with don't need it, but I need it. You'll see.

Which is fine, but when you hear in teamspeak "We need more DPS go go go.... except you *shadowpriestname*, watch your agro" which was... decently often. With VE and VT (I think also TV) generating additional agro and being top DPS, it was a chore at times. Talking Gruul's lair -> most of Black Temple with attunement remove stage of BC.

Deleted
    Warriors had innate threat reduction built into battle/zerg stance.

Everyone had salv.
    No. There's an innate gain in threat in your defensive stance. That's not the same thing. DPS warriors have ZERO threat reduction mechanics.

No. There's an innate gain in threat in your defensive stance. That's not the same thing. DPS warriors have ZERO threat reduction mechanics.
    I'm not talking about NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    That is a tanking issue. sorry
    Actually it isn't. Tank cant do much but their regular rotation. I am a tank and make sure to dot up and hit the spirit in spoils. But if a mage blows everything the second the box opens, every taunt DG and outbreak in the world won't get it back

Outside of giving the tank 5 seconds or 3 sunders before you opened up on a boss, there wasn't really much 'omg dps watch your threat'. Again, maybe when adds spawned you had the same 'don't dps until the tank says' but outside of that, it was incredibly rare for a DPS to be capable of pulling off a tank. I know warlocks had a habit of doing it when I used to raid, sometimes mages, but of course I think they had Soulshatter and whatever to drop it.

In the end, though, it was still incredibly rare and you really didn't have to pay all that much attention to your threat outside of a lot of bosses that would drop all threat. Of course, that's my experience raiding with great tanks in TBC.

Personally if I asked the tanks that used to raid with me the question, they'd say the whole 'losing threat despite my best attempts' even if DPS need to watch their threat, is just really stupid.

Deleted
    I'm not talking about NOW.
    They never did have any threat reducing mechanics. At all. If you're referring to battle and berserker stance having a 0.8 threat modifier then that's not a mechanic that determines how good a player is.

"oh look I have a passive that reduces my threat ever so slightly per attack look at how GOOD I AM LOL"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandapuncher View Post
    But if a mage blows everything the second the box opens, every taunt DG and outbreak in the world won't get it back
    And then you should let that mage die and take a piss on his corpse. That's what I would do.

edit:
    And yes, they should bring back threat management and most of all; resource management for dps. If healers have to watch their mana, so should dps.

"oh look I have a passive that reduces my threat ever so slightly per attack look at how GOOD I AM LOL"
    That's still more than what the ret paladins had (none), which was the point.

it's tedious and needless. when i'm fighting, i just wanna smack it's face around and move on to the next thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Threat management was fun when the tank knew what they were doing, and made a fun role into 'press button, wait, press button, wait, glue eyes to Omen' when the tank was less than superb at high gear levels, especially in pugs while doing badge runs in Wrath.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Deleted
    That's still more than what the ret paladins had (none), which was the point.
    Which is exactly my point. Why are people harping on about how fun threat management is if you're locked into being a specific class or spec just to have access to it?

Threat reduction mechanics arent fun. They're outdated as all hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Coronius View Post
    This is one of the things that I miss from earlier expansions (primarily TBC). While I do agree that it could've been improved and handled a bit better, I actually liked the concept of managing your threat as a DPS class. It was fun, and made it a bit more interesting to play when you didn't just stand around and do your rotation. It also made it easy to tell a good tank from an OK one.

Did Blizzard remove this element of gameplay due to player feedback, or did they just grow tired of it themselves? I'd love to see this type of threat management return. Perhaps not in LFR (that would be disastrous), but in Mythic perhaps. What do you think?
    It was interesting for classes that actually had ways to manage their threat, like Hunters/Rogues, for classes for which threat management meant "Stahp Deeps" it sucked cocks.

Hated it.

I have been tanking and DPS'ing since Vanilla and the one thing that always made me mad until around mid-TBC was how retarded threat was.

In vanilla you had to wait for the famous "3-sunders before you DPS"; for the people here in this thread who haven't had the "privilege" to feel how "fun" that was, basically every 2-3 casts you had to wait a second or two before you could fire off another cast. Because else you would be in range of outthreating your tank, and dying.

And as a tank, it was making you uncomfortable since it just made you even more pressured than now to perform. Or you could just bot your char. We had raidnights on Twin Emps where our tank would turn on his bot and just walk away and do something else. Just because he had to stay put and spam a clear-cut rotation for 10 minutes.

Standing on one spot just waiting until someone else makes threat go up is a faulty mechanic and will hurt the game if reimplemented as it was. If we all had "active threat reduction" where we could do things to reduce our threat it could work out; but instead we got active mitigation, something that actually INCREASED the amount of tanks and also made tanking fun.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Then he wouldn't be a very good tank? seems like pretty clear cut logic
    Not really, it could be a great tank with a much lower gear level due to a reroll or dozens of other things.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Which is exactly my point. Why are people harping on about how fun threat management is if you're locked into being a specific class or spec just to have access to it?

Threat reduction mechanics arent fun. They're outdated as all hell.
    It's as if you're trying to jump on me for saying threat management was fun? I didn't, quite the opposite.