Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Bear Trap for survival?

Birthday presents for Hunters! Currently planning to replace Flaming Shots, return Rapid Fire to Marksmanship, and add Bear Trap to Survival (Celestalon)

Didn't bear trap do bleed damage? Why for Survival?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it did and because SV is a DoT spec.

Not sure if, for the first time in 9 years, I will want to stay with survival.

Loss of rapid fire, kill shot, etc. for DoTs....dunno if that's the playstyle for me. It's an interesting conundrum.

I know damn well I won't take that stupid "no pet" talent, though. You won't take my nightsaber from my side, Blizzard! *Pew pew!*

I'll have to see how traps work. I know they activate immediately, but I've always found the launcher to still be a somewhat clunky mechanic to have in a rotation.

I don't know how exactly it'll work yet but it sounds awesome.

Glad to see traps being reinforced as SV's kit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I know damn well I won't take that stupid "no pet" talent, though. You won't take my nightsaber from my side, Blizzard! *Pew pew!*
    I REALLY hope that they balance WOWY to the point that the guides won't encourage all newbies to sacrifice their pet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

My first thought was Snake Trap except it summons a horde of bears to maul people instead! Then another second passed and I was like: oh wait...
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    Alas, sweet prince! You hath received thine own ass handed to ye.

Lone Wolf may not be a perfect solution, but it's a damn sight better than "Well, I'm screwed on this fight because Fluffy always falls through the world/takes the scenic route/decides he's comfy there and not moving/etc."

It seems like they intend the downside to be loss of pet skills like Master's Call.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Quote Originally Posted by Shockymonkey View Post
    Didn't bear trap do bleed damage?
    Bear Trap

may or may not be the same kinda thing, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    Lone Wolf may not be a perfect solution, but it's a damn sight better than "Well, I'm screwed on this fight because Fluffy always falls through the world/takes the scenic route/decides he's comfy there and not moving/etc."

It seems like they intend the downside to be loss of pet skills like Master's Call.
    I've honestly haven't had pet problems like that in a loong looooong time, though. Seems more like something based on the ongoing request from players to have a non-pet option for hunter.

Always made sense to me for marksman to be that option, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've honestly haven't had pet problems like that in a loong looooong time, though. Seems more like something based on the ongoing request from players to have a non-pet option for hunter.

Winter is not going anywhere. Not even Blizzard can tell me to take away my companion!(Winter is my pet's lore name).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Falling through the world:
    - Durumu, unless you dismissed and then resummoned ON the platform before combat
    - Ji'kun, if you were on nest duty it was a crapshoot

Taking the scenic route:
    - Megara. Your choice of pet swimming the far side of the lake with Blink Strikes, or hoping the heads last long enough for Crows to not be a waste.
    - On the way to Nazgrim, if you jump down instead of clearing the warlocks and demons, better dismiss first. Fluffy's scared of heights.

No, I'm comfy here:
    - Spoils of Pandaria, where Blink Strikes lets Fluffy explore inside a box and nothing lives long enough for Crows to be worth it.
    - Garrosh's engineers, until you convince your raid leader that you're not kidding, Fluffy really is scared of heights.

Other forms of terrible:
    - Dark Shamans, pleading with your tanks not to hug Ashen Walls or having to keep your pet at your side until they're far away.
    - Thok, where the pet runs, starts to swing, realizes Thok ain't stopping, and resumes running. Repeat.

Don't get me wrong, I like the feel of having my pet at my side and all that, but this is at least an option for when Blizzard forgets for the millionth time that pets exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

There have always been problems with pets. A lot of them being quite recent.

Can't be BM doing belts during the Blackfuse encounter, pet despawns as you get onto the belt. Some rare occasions the pet completely bugs and doesn't despawn and is unable to join you on the belt, and in some cases despawns and isn't summonable. I wiped a flex group on this while solo'ing all the belts, then realizing I didn't go survival. I was embarrassed.

During the Garrosh encounter, leaving Terrace/Temple of the Red Crane/Temple of the Jade Serpent transitions, your pet stands next to you for a bit looking like a derp while you spam your buttons. Small delay with pet attack macro'ed to things.

If your guild makes you do Engineers for phase 1 of the Garrosh encounter you can't realistically play as Beast Mastery for the sole fact that your pet can't even get to the platform the mob is standing on in the first place.

Pet randomly gets stuck in boxes and on the lever during Spoils.

I've given up all hope that my pet can keep up with Godzilla (AKA Thok).

There are probably a lot more instances where my pet has failed me that I haven't mentioned or never witnessed for myself. You get the idea I'm sure. I am kind of interested to see how all of these proposed Hunter changes will play out for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Winter is not going anywhere. Not even Blizzard can tell me to take away my companion!(Winter is my pet's lore name).
    Agreed. Aratiel was my first, and remains my only real, companion as a hunter. She goes nowhere, Blizzard. NOWHERE!

Why for Survival?
    From official WoW specialization description:

Survival
    A rugged tracker who favors using animal venom , explosives and traps as deadly weapons.
    Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -Thomas Jefferson

survival gonna be like afflic lock lol

gonna need some survivability moves

I don't think Blizzard in any way intends to take your beloved pets away.

Why for Survival?
    Because it's supposed to be a trap spec.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Himawarii View Post
    Can't be BM doing belts during the Blackfuse encounter, pet despawns as you get onto the belt. Some rare occasions the pet completely bugs and doesn't despawn and is unable to join you on the belt, and in some cases despawns and isn't summonable. I wiped a flex group on this while solo'ing all the belts, then realizing I didn't go survival. I was embarrassed.
    You can be BM for Blackfuse. I do it every week on heroic. It does require a ridiculous flow chart of pet management to get it done right though.

Really don't want to have to place a trap as part of my single target rotation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
    Really don't want to have to place a trap as part of my single target rotation
    Have to echo this, Survival has always been my favourite spec and I hope it doesn't get ruined by a stupid addition to its spell list (similar to how Readiness sucked).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Himawarii View Post
    You can, I've done it every single week barring this week because I made my BM spec into a PvP spec. You have to dismiss your pet before you go on the belt.

So, belt 1: you start with no pet and disengage onto the belt, summon your pet and kill the missile. Missile dies quick because of hero and cd's so you don't have to go past the first laser, you can run back to the start of the belt and dismiss your pet.
    Belt 2: jump down the pipe and summon a different pet (for an extra rabid, I use 3 pets for this), kill the missile, depending on your dps you might have to run through the first laser, disengage off the belt when the missile is dead and wait 3-4 seconds for your pet to reappear by your side and then dismiss it before going onto the next belt.
    Belt 3: you have no pet, disengage onto the belt and summon a different pet again.

You get the point, rinse and repeat.

Guys, survival is based around explosions and traps. I doubt blizzard will do anything that says "trap" in it's name to be insanely annoying/irritating to place on a target. Maybe Survival traps will auto launch on targets. This is one instance where you can say "just wait and seee" ^^

I understand survival being the "trap spec". I also understand that's we don't know what bear trap will do but wouldn't it be better to just make snake trap better. If bear trap is anything like it was before it will have a root or possibly a stun and a dot most likely bleed damage. Bleed damage as survival doesn't make sense to me and we already have entrapment for root. Sure I guess a stun would be nice for PVP but survival is going to keep being a shitty spec for pvp even with bear trap. Now for PVE, will we be expected to fire bear trap in our rotation? If they are trying to focus on making traps better for survival they don't need to add new ones. Instead they need to make the current ones better.

Would love if they removed trap launcher from the global cooldown and make black arrow undispelable in pvp.
    Last edited by Shockymonkey; 2014-05-12 at 12:41 PM.