Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridius View Post
    What?

This thread no longer makes any sense and probably needs closed
    In the first set of WoD alpha notes, Drain Soul was removed and Malefic Grasp got a perk that gives it bonus damage when the target is below 20%.

In the most recent alpha notes, Malefic Grasp was renamed Drain Soul and now generates a Soul Shard if the target dies while channeling. Despite the name change it still functions exactly like MG, but now with an execute function.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallensaint View Post
    In the most recent alpha notes, Malefic Grasp was renamed Drain Soul and now generates a Soul Shard if the target dies while channeling. Despite the name change it still functions exactly like MG, but now with an execute function.
    I was under the impression that they made Drain Soul function exactly like Malefic Grasp. More than just a simple name change.

So right now it still uses the Malefic Grasp casting animation and spell icon? I wonder then what's the point of even calling it Drain Soul.
    Last edited by Bridius; 2014-04-30 at 05:47 AM.

I was under the impression that they made Drain Soul function exactly like Malefic Grasp. More than just a simple name change.

So right now it still uses the Malefic Grasp casting animation and spell icon? I wonder then what's the point of even calling it Drain Soul.
    Well, I was talking more about mechanics. I have no idea if they changed the spell's aesthetics to match live Drain Soul, but I assume that they did if they went through the trouble of changing the name.

Because people hate Malefic Grasp and blizzard seems to think that removing the name of the spell will help that.

They could keep Drain Soul mainly as execute and make Shadowbolt back as the filler. Make Shadowbolt crits add duration to dots on the target.

Deleted
    With both DoT snapshotting and Malefic Grasp being gone, Affliction will be just keeping up DoTs and timing your Haunts, and the timing of those Haunts will be the only difference between a skilled warlock and a decent warlock. Where's the fun in that?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by theburned View Post
    Because people hate Malefic Grasp and blizzard seems to think that removing the name of the spell will help that.
    No, it's because they're pruning spells and keeping the more iconic name. Function of the spells has nothing to do with it (Divine Light is becoming Holy Light, and the current Holy Light is being removed, for instance).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ainatan View Post
    They could keep Drain Soul mainly as execute and make Shadowbolt back as the filler. Make Shadowbolt crits add duration to dots on the target.
    I'd dig it, but I'd love any return of Shadow Bolt with DS as execute.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Asshat View Post
    With both DoT snapshotting and Malefic Grasp being gone, Affliction will be just keeping up DoTs and timing your Haunts, and the timing of those Haunts will be the only difference between a skilled warlock and a decent warlock.

Where's the fun in that?
    That's my worry.
    I'd usually try to have some optimism about them working something out, but they never added anything to destructions bland rotation after clipping ROF and I gave MOP-affliction a year to grow on me, which didn't happen, and a year hoping they'd take steps to improve it / take steps back towards what WAS fun in the next expansion, which doesn't seem to be happening either, quite the contrary.

I really wish they would bring a non-channeled filler back to affliction. I don't really like channeling spells. Drain Soul was alright because thematically it made sense, and I only used it in the last 20% of the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallensaint View Post
    Well, I was talking more about mechanics. I have no idea if they changed the spell's aesthetics to match live Drain Soul, but I assume that they did if they went through the trouble of changing the name.
    It's the same animation of live drain soul with the missiles of malefic grap added to this animation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the important thing here is that an execute typically changes up the rotation to give a feeling of imminent victory and overpowering the enemy once it's in a wounded state: that's kinda the point of it. It seems Blizzard have forgotten that, because the result of this change takes away the whole feedback to the player that actually provides that feeling. Let's be honest though, MG's implementation in the first place somewhat diminished that already.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2014-05-07 at 10:16 AM.

I actually would want a burst execute for Affliction. I can't count how many times I could've killed the healer if it wasn't for the horrible tick time of Drain Soul. It's like adding a 2 second cast on SW or Shadowburn.

This is why the spec is so unpopular in today's PvP. It can't kill shit. When the healer drops low, Shadowburn can easily kill them off, most especially with the fact how that 0.5 sec window can make them heal to FULL, which is so overpowered.

But since all instant cast heals are toned down for WoD, we'll see. I still would prefer Drain Soul to tick immediately upon casting though. PvEr's will jump on me, but I don't care. There, I said it.

@sugarfree

Yeah, I feel your pain. I've given up on affliction for arenas because you can do 7m damage and still doesn't kill anyone. Destro can burst so much better that afflic feels awfull for pvp, when you need damage on the right time at the right place (MoP PVP was shit all along for locks).

GOing from shadow bolt to drain soul was cool flavorish. A draining channel to finish off a weak foe instead of your normal projectiles.

Going from MG to drain soul was lamer. Now the ability choice won't even change. Super lame and for what reason?

10+ Year Old Account
    Asking for more burst for Affliction? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Asking for more burst for Affliction? Really?
    It's only bursty because of snapshotting, it won't have any in WoD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EvreliaGaming View Post
    It's only bursty because of snapshotting, it won't have any in WoD.
    No, it's bursty because of Soulburn: Soul Swap and starting with 4 shards. Chaotic Resources - Soulburn: Haunt is going to make it insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulzar View Post

Demo is somewhat lacking both. In terms of a sustained execute having unlimited MC charges to chain cast Soul Fire feels like and execute, is a boost like it should be.. but having to life tap 3x as much during execute to keep mana lvls up from spamming Soul fire counters that feeling. Additionally it has no execute feel on low life adds as you never get to really use it by the time an add gets to 20% as there are so many other classes with instant executes like Shadowburn to snipe before you can cast.

I think they need to address mana cost of Soul Fire. Perhaps instead of Molten Core reducing its cast time it should drops its mana cost.

Eg. 1.75 base cast time, 30%-40% mana cost. This prevents you from chain casting as the life tap requirement to counter its mana cost brings its DPET down below Shadowbolt. It however wouldn't fuck you if you accidentally started a cast once outisde of MC procs. Molten core procs drop its mana cost down to whatever normal mana costs would be. Ofc, leaving it alone and just reducing its mana cost during MC is a simpler change
    So much this. It really irks me that this is what happens during execute for me as demo. I get that the spec isn't broken or crappy but sometimes in my hands it totally feels this way.

End personal rant. sorry

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulzar View Post

Demo is somewhat lacking both. In terms of a sustained execute having unlimited MC charges to chain cast Soul Fire feels like and execute, is a boost like it should be.. but having to life tap 3x as much during execute to keep mana lvls up from spamming Soul fire counters that feeling. Additionally it has no execute feel on low life adds as you never get to really use it by the time an add gets to 20% as there are so many other classes with instant executes like Shadowburn to snipe before you can cast.

I think they need to address mana cost of Soul Fire. Perhaps instead of Molten Core reducing its cast time it should drops its mana cost.
    Not sure if you read the Demo Perks we get from lvl 91 to 100, but one of them reduces Soul Fire mana cost and cast time by an additional 25% with Molten Core procs.

I completely agree that it is frustrating how many times Soul Fire is wasted on low-health adds that die mid-cast/in flight. Hopefully the extra 25% cast time reduction makes up for this.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez