Deleted

Heroic Garrosh - ret specific advice

Hello fellow paladins,

my guild and I will start progressing on 10man Garrosh Heroic and I'm obliged to switch from holy to ret, as we will 1heal the boss.

Since I have never really played retribution this xpac, I would be very gratefuly if some of you more could give me a few "need to know" tips, especially concerning garrosh.

armory:
    eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/mannoroth/Tase/advanced

i could switch the shoulders to the heroic version of Krugruk's rigid shoulderplates, but i guess the loss of the 4piece would not be worth it.

thanks in advance

Use glyph of Max Exo and Blinding Light, 3rd glyph is usually up for grabs (TV, sacrifice or Inq) using blinding light glyph to as an ape knockback for both mind controls and temple transition.

Some say you can roll with Divine Purpose and it's incredibly viable for everything up to P4 (Stormwind phase)

Personally I went with Sanctified Wrath because my guild has no issues with MC's, adds or transitions.

If your guild is single tanking it might be a wise idea to take clemency, the extra BoPs can help with ToES transition too. Otherwise, unbreakable spirit is really nice, providing a 40% magic damage reduction for 10 seconds every 20 seconds or so.

Also keep your 4 pc

As MBDTF mentioned don't break your 4p, value of 4p is way to huge to just throw it away.

Use Sanc Wrath single target beats AoE on Garrosh and sigle target is what you should focus on. Pushing more dps on Garrosh is way more valuable then whoring some numbers in PH 1, especially if you're going with 1 healer and 1 tank you'll only get one intermission in PH 2 and one or mybe two Empowered Whirlwinds and you'll see how much more ST is valuable to zerg boss.

Glyphs TV glyph is mandatory you wanna reduce as much as posb damage taken since you're one healing the fight. Other slots go for Blinding Light ( to stun/interupt adds in 1 Intermission) and 3rd slot either Hand of Sac glyph or Double Jeopardy or Inquistion.

UB or Clemecy this is the question your group has to sort out. If tank needs external while reaching 8-12 stacks + Whirwind obvius choice is Clemency so you can cover 2/4 Whirlwind in PH 2 and 1 Empowered Whirlwind. If you have extra of external CD's ( warr's vigilance/PS/Barskin etc) then go for UB it will be massive self defense improvment. Since you're one healing UB is far better as tank shouldn't rly need 2 of your sacs one should be more then enough to cover him, unless you lack externals, as said it's group specific and you have to decide with tank.

Make sure you spec into FoJ and have Reckonig keybinded taunt + stun on empowered adds is highly important not to mention tauning adds from other ppl to help them.

ES vs Light's Hammer is again yours to decide if healer need some off healing help during Whirwind Light's Hammer is way to go.

Blinding light and your racial Arcane Torrent are one of the most important tools for 1st Intermission, don't blew them lighty away, make max usage of them and setup interupt rotation.

With this tactic you shouldn't reach 2nd Intermission PH so you don't have to worry about that. If you reach it make sure you BoP healer as he's getting closer to the add stacking point for massive AoE, he's gonna have alot of agrro just by healing and runing and adds can rape him within secs. Also Blinding light helps here to stunn adds while stacked in order to help your tank.

More or less burn CD's as you get them off CD, only use GoAK in intermission PH if you have 31sec+ left, since he wont come with you and you'll lose strg buff and explosion from it if you used it while there was less then 31 sec time remaining in Intermission.

Devotion Aura is where you shine your first usage should be on 1st or 2nd Iron Star, in PH 2 2nd normal Whilrwind and you should get it around 1 or 2nd Empowered Whirlwind or you could save it just for PH 3. For PH 3 make sure you time Devotion Aura with explosion from tanks stacks, this means you'll have to delay it for 1-2 sec after Whirlwind has started in order to cover explosion and last few thicks of Whirlwind dmg ( people usualy take msot dmg from last few thicks so covering that should be prio).

In PH 4 if you happen to get Devotio off CD try to time it with Bombardment+ Malice but with your setup and dps, garrosh should be long gone before you even reach 2nd Bombardment.

Keep Inquistion up, try to use ES with trinket procs. Help instant Flash of Light offheals/selfheals rather then dying or letting someone else die.

I can't think of anything else. Sorry for bad grammar or bad composition of word it's pretty late here and I'm very tired. Good luck with Garrosh Progress.

Deleted
    Many thanks to both of you. That was exactly the information I was looking for.
    Just one more question: Is it advisable to blow dps cooldowns at the beginning of intermission 1 to reach the dps check?

Today we'll start progressing
    Last edited by mmoc4285f83c3d; 2014-04-30 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tasor View Post
    Just one more question: Is it advisable to blow dps cooldowns at the beginning of intermission 1 to reach the dps check?

If your raids dps meets the somewhat "general" requirements, you can pop AW/GoAK at the start of a fight and have them up seconds before he enters intermission 1, I used to save the CD's til after the adds are dead and we are at Garrosh doing annihilates to pop them, alternatively I now pop AW when we are at the adds themselves to help DPS them faster, depending on how your stun/cc assignments work on them, it might be a smart idea, for example the group I'm assigned to on 25 man uses Leg Sweep, followed by blinding light (glyphed) then a disorienting roar, then we follow up with single target interrupts than whatever else, sometimes chancing at them getting a cast off. Popping AW then could save you a lot of time and potentially prevent casts from going on, although doing this you lose uptime on AW because you spend about a 3-9 second period moving/waiting around for the bubbles then moving to garrosh himself based on position assigned.

Depends on your raid. Retribution can easily output some of the highest burst damage possible on the adds during that phase; if your adds are an issue then I would highly suggest using at least Avenging Wrath on them. The phase is very important.

Quote Originally Posted by MBDTF View Post
    followed by blinding light (glyphed) then a disorienting roar
    Disorienting Roar doesn't work on the Jade Temple adds as far as I'm aware. If it did, Blinding Light in its unglyphed form should also work (which it doesn't).

Quote Originally Posted by UnderworldSoup View Post
    Depends on your raid. Retribution can easily output some of the highest burst damage possible on the adds during that phase; if your adds are an issue then I would highly suggest using at least Avenging Wrath on them. The phase is very important.

Disorienting Roar doesn't work on the Jade Temple adds as far as I'm aware. If it did, Blinding Light in its unglyphed form should also work (which it doesn't).
    ah okay, I wasn't too sure about the Disorienting Roar, our feral druid claims he does it, not sure if it did anything.

Good luck, coming from someone who killed it as Holy but was also forced to do some progression as Ret, due to comp.

Generally we had everyone use cooldowns for intermission 1 during progression and I believe it's even more important in 10 than 25 to do so. As MBDTF basically said it heavily depends on your specific group comp and ability (so for me, I would not but only because my 5-man group will faceroll the adds whether I touch them or not let alone use CD's) but it's definitely better safe than sorry for progress.

As Monoroth said you should definitely take advantage of your off-heal/dispelling abilities esp. if your group runs out for Emp. Whirls (where you can't melee the boss anyway).

Also: You can bubble the Malice and it will allow you to soak (i.e., you count as someone getting hit so yours will not bounce to Garrosh) and it will make you ignore both the damage and Malicious Blast debuff. This is accurate regardless of whatever anyone else tries to tell you.

Okay, don't go for Divine purpose, its an AoE talent and is a dps loss, especially since you have EeoG. Go for sanc wrath.

glyphs should be : Blinding light (stuns intermission 1 adds, stun your own personal add for empowered whirlings)
    Hand of sacrifice (no reason not to, its nice for tanks and can be used on others to negate damage)
    Glyph of Templars verdict (10% DR at all times is huge)

Talents:
    speed of light
    Fist of justice
    selfless healer
    unbreakable spirit or clemency (if tanks need 2 sacs in 2 minutes, bops are worthless this encounter)
    Sanctified wrath
    Execution sentence

Open with all your cds, save execution sentece until your goak is at 12 stacks, and all cds ar popped.
    Pop avenging wrath again after garrosh transitions into p2, itll be active during the add phase in 1st intermission and dps boost helps
    Depending on group comp, focus down 1 of the 3 adds (DS proc if you can), blinding light after 2 global cooldowns and they're casting, one should be focused and dead before 2nd cast goes out. when that happens either Hammer of justice or rebuke the add. GG
    Stay on boss during whirlings, pop divine protection and you'll be at 50% DR with TV if you're using it. Use flash of light or a healthstone if hp gets low (use selfless healer)
    You can for the empowered whirling corruption divine shield and sit on the boss dps'ing through it, only downside is you will have to deal with an add if it spawns on you, and if a rogue does the same it could spell trouble. I do this to gain a slight amount of damage on the boss (around 2mil) during the 1st empowered whirling and save divine shield for later. 2nd one jut run out and deal with your add, wait for desecrate to get thrown before rushing back to melee.
    4th phase, deal with malice, pop divine protection religiously and if you're staying to drop the first ironstar, pop divine protection and you'll be able to survive through 2 blasts (shouldnt have to though).
    4th malice, everyone splits up and 2 people soak malice (to prevent ironstar), use divine shield here and sit in it until its cast is over then sprint to boss.

Also I'm sure your group is fine with this strat, but 2 healing 1 tanking is much more viable and easier to execute than 1 heal 2 tanking. Something to consider as the healing in some phases is no joke. You also gain more damage with a solo tank strat and can help solo a group of adds in phase 1 and deal more damage to really push through phases.

edit: If you get to 2nd intermission and don't do it (most groups can if you go in under 20%), use your 2nd pot coming out of it, you should have all your cds up and trinkets off CD so youll benefit the most from over, instead of saving it for lust which willl happen a minute later. Before you ask, no its not viable to line up CDs, they will off pull and at the 6 minute mark and the 12minute mark (both you'll hit in progression). Only ability you should try to line up would be execution sentence, but thats meh.
    Last edited by Toastyame; 2014-05-05 at 11:00 PM.