Companion Affection

Does companion affection have a bearing on combat? I know it does when it comes to crafting, but what about DPS/Healing/Tanking abilities - do they improve with a higher affection level? Or is it just your Presence stat that affects this (other than gear of course)?

Do I need to worry if a companion hates my guts (I'm looking at you Vette ...)?

Quote Originally Posted by Davemetalhead View Post
    Does companion affection have a bearing on combat? I know it does when it comes to crafting, but what about DPS/Healing/Tanking abilities - do they improve with a higher affection level? Or is it just your Presence stat that affects this (other than gear of course)?

Do I need to worry if a companion hates my guts (I'm looking at you Vette ...)?
    No, it doesn't affect anything except the conversations you'll have with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Higher affection grants increased speed of completing Crafting / Companion Missions and increased chance of a Crit result in Crafting / Companion Missions.

It has a roundabout combat benefit by granting you Legacywide personal + Presence bonuses when you reach 10k Affection with each unique companion.

To the best of my knowledge, it will never affect the outcome of your Class Story or your performance in combat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    No, it doesn't affect anything except the conversations you'll have with them.
    I believe it does. From here:
    http://swtor.gamepedia.com/Affection
    Upon gaining max affection with a companion you will get a +5 critical and +15 efficiency bonus to all crafting done by that companion. Max affection will also unlock stat bonuses for the first companion of each type and a +10 presence boost for each companion, even if they are of the same type. You can see the bonus and what companion unlocks it, in the table below.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Upon gaining max affection with a companion you will get a +5 critical and +15 efficiency bonus to all crafting done by that companion. Max affection will also unlock stat bonuses for the first companion of each type and a +10 presence boost for each companion, even if they are of the same type. You can see the bonus and what companion unlocks it, in the table below.
    Now, does it grant that +10 Presence boost legacy-wide, or just for your specific character? The verbiage in the Legacy panel could mean either.

Quote Originally Posted by palswim View Post
    Now, does it grant that +10 Presence boost legacy-wide, or just for your specific character? The verbiage in the Legacy panel could mean either.
    Legacy-wide. If you have all companion storylines complete, you'll get +400 presence

Note that legacy completion does not ask for max affection, but completed storyline- This can require affection as low as 9000 to do for some companions. The achievements, which grant nothing, require max affection.
    Last edited by LilSaihah; 2014-05-02 at 01:11 AM.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    yes, the presence increase companion efficiency, but i don't think it's ground breaking.
    It should be cap with having about 10 companion dialog finished (2 character).

Yeah, the increased efficiency is useful.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Legacy-wide. If you have all companion storylines complete, you'll get +400 presence
    Thanks for the answer. I couldn't find any official/authoritative sources for this data, so I confirmed it myself. I logged out of one of my characters with 552 Presence, then completed a companion storyline on one of my alts. When I logged back into that first character, the Presence stat had increased to 562.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    The achievements, which grant nothing, require max affection.
    I believe you meant that the achievements for max affection don't grant any combat-enhancing utility, but they do award an achievement for that class. If someone gets max affection with every class of a particular faction, they get a pretty sweet legacy title (imo).

To further cement your first point, however, I've had max presence from all Imperial companions for a while now, and just recently discovered the legacy title for max affection with all companions, which I got today.

- - - Updated - - -

I couldn't find any official/authoritative sources for this data, so I confirmed it myself.
    Just hover over the icons for class companions in your legacy pane. It will tell you what you need to get to achieve the bonuses, and what those bonuses are (legacy abilities plus presence boosts).

Also it seems lots of folks don't know this but you can max the affection of your ship droid to reduce his crafting times as well. I would just buy the krayt dragon eggs from the fleet vendor that sells gifts. Its fairly cheap to get his affection up to 5-6k or so and can run 59-60 diplomacy and other missions to get the good blue/purple ones to finish it off.

Sucks being a completionist. One of each class both sides with every companion at max affection lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindican View Post
    I believe you meant that the achievements for max affection don't grant any combat-enhancing utility, but they do award an achievement for that class. If someone gets max affection with every class of a particular faction, they get a pretty sweet legacy title (imo).
    Yup; Imperial/Republic Squad Leader. Just checked.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Legacy wide.

First goal is to get all stat bonuses.
    You need 5 companions to max affection.

Second goal is to get the +10 presence boost.
    8 characters x 5 companions = 400 presence total

Low level companion with 400 presence is more powerful than your main character.

Deleted
    Also, don't forget that your melee tank companion provides +1% accuracy. This is not legacy wide, but really important when you want to seriously gear up for ops or whatnot. Because that 110% accuracy cap is kinda though to hit.

I always feel like I"m only gearing accuracy instead of any other stats

10+ Year Old Account
    The presence bonus is awesome at lower levels btw, up to around level 30 I'd say. So worth getting for alts.
    And as others have said, apart from the presence bonus it doesn't affect combat.